Doogie: "There are a ton of tickets left for the Oregon State game"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said: "There are a ton of tickets left for the Oregon State game. I couldn't even get a Gophers official to give me the exact number, but I was told there are many, many tickets left."

Let's fill the bank!

http://www.1500espn.com/podcast-center/

Go Gophers!!

Was planning on going then the Mrs informed me she got tickets to Alabama at the State Fair. To say I was highly disappointed would be an understatement.

I would count all the seats still available on MyGopherSports... But counting 15,000 seats could take hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can thank Woody for this whole situation. Also the U marketing department. They know nothing about promoting. My wife owned a advertising agency in in Duluth and was contracted by UMD to get the athletic department out of the " red " which she did in two years with many of the promotions at the DECC. She is appalled by the lack of insight within the U of M S&M department for the number one revenue sport.

I actually saw a gopher football advertisement during olympic coverage on one of the not-NBC channels.

I'm not really sure that advertising would address a disappointing last year / Vikings opening / etc. I suspect they'd get more bang for their buck if they hold off on lots of advertising until they have a good year or so.

We will see with the new AD, he clearly seems to at least be trying to reach out to former ticket holders with the email (at least that people say they have received) to some extent.

We can thank Woody for this whole situation. Also the U marketing department. They know nothing about promoting. My wife owned a advertising agency in in Duluth and was contracted by UMD to get the athletic department out of the " red " which she did in two years with many of the promotions at the DECC. She is appalled by the lack of insight within the U of M S&M department for the number one revenue sport.

yeah, lets not blame the 5 wins in season then capped with a victory in a bowl game over a MAC team. please review the 2015 wins and get back to me about the lack of interest.

yeah, lets not blame the 5 wins in season then capped with a victory in a bowl game over a MAC team. please review the 2015 wins and get back to me about the lack of interest.

I was on the edge of my seat for Kent St. Nauseous but on the edge of my seat....

New Vikes stadium is going to be the bigger draw. On top of that, state fair weekend (which is a horrid excuse) is going to lead to a sparse stadium. The only hope is that the students are there and are loud. and I'm very serious about the last line

True. People always want to talk about marketing. Not gonna argue that it's important to get people to try a product. What people always seem to forget that once they try the product and don't like it, no amount of marketing is gonna get them to try it again.

Unless they try giving the product away i.e. $10 tickets, $39.95 for 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 sodas etc. But that creates another set of problems.

Which this thread has pointed out hasn't it?

On top of that, state fair weekend (which is a horrid excuse)
Why? It's one of the most popular events in the state... if anything blame the Gophers for scheduling a game when the State Fair is going on, they know people are going to choose the Fair over a non-conf game.

Why? It's one of the most popular events in the state... if anything blame the Gophers for scheduling a game when the State Fair is going on, they know people are going to choose the Fair over a non-conf game.

I was unaware you were required to attend all days of the state fair. And considering that the other option is to put the game on the weekend with the usual big names or else take a bye week one, I would say that the U is doing what makes the most sense.

Isn't it good to have the game during the State Fair? Most people go during the day. Many people come from all over the state. They are already in town now and very close to the U. Perfect opportunity to catch a game!

if anything blame the Gophers for scheduling a game when the State Fair is going on, they know people are going to choose the Fair over a non-conf game.

State Fair Attendance (2015 - 2014 - 2013)
Thursday 2nd week at fair: 123,733 118,047 117,480
Saturday 2nd week at fair: 211,126 252,092 196,200

Seems like waiting until Saturday would make it worse.

Since your wife was contracted by UMD, you're both aware that UMTC and UMD are two different athletics and marketing departments, correct?

Oh cmon, the Fair runs for like 11 nights. Plenty of time for Gopher fans to come to the opener AND attend the Fair; that's a pretty weak excuse.

State Fair Attendance (2015 - 2014 - 2013)
Thursday 2nd week at fair: 123,733 118,047 117,480
Saturday 2nd week at fair: 211,126 252,092 196,200

Seems like waiting until Saturday would make it worse.

Thanks for finding the "2nd Week" Numbers. Didn't look far enough down.

Kill was adamant that they play their first game at Home. Prior to 2013, they played '09,'10,'11 and '12 on the road in the opener. They also had a better chance of a "National" broadcast/cablecast by playing it on a Thursday. Though by now there are a number of games being played that day.

Regarding attendance we've covered every minor thing that might influence one or two people's attendance (or even nobody) but would be eclipsed in importance by things such as winning football games.

If anything you could argue that will the influx of people from outstate MN coming to the fair they are trying to capture that market of warm bodies who might make the gopher game part of their fair weekend.

IMO the #1 reason outside of Teague's plan for this game is conflicting with High School football.

There are 62 games season openers on Thursday night (50 Metro Teams) and the rest on Friday. If the game was on Saturday afternoon or night, it would be close to sold out. High school coaches and players go to Gopher games.

Saturday of Labor Day weekend, the last weekend before school starts? Everybody will be closing the cabin and water skiing!

IMO the #1 reason outside of Teague's plan for this game is conflicting with High School football.

There are 62 games season openers on Thursday night (50 Metro Teams) and the rest on Friday. If the game was on Saturday afternoon or night, it would be close to sold out. High school coaches and players go to Gopher games.

Last year's Thursday game was the best attended in the history of the stadium.

I was unaware you were required to attend all days of the state fair. And considering that the other option is to put the game on the weekend with the usual big names or else take a bye week one, I would say that the U is doing what makes the most sense.
Some people do attend every day, others several, others 1 day. Lots of ways to enjoy The Fair. Putting the game on the weekend or taking a bye are not the only other options, a road game is something that has been done. Not a great option, but it is an option.

Oh cmon, the Fair runs for like 11 nights. Plenty of time for Gopher fans to come to the opener AND attend the Fair; that's a pretty weak excuse.
And there are 7 other weeks a year you can see the Gophers play and most of those have more interesting opponents. Plenty of chances to see them when The Fair isn't going on.

If anything you could argue that will the influx of people from outstate MN coming to the fair they are trying to capture that market of warm bodies who might make the gopher game part of their fair weekend.
I guess I don't buy that the outstate people who are spending their disposable income to come to town for The Fair are going to shave off some of that to go to a Gopher game if they wouldn't normally do so.

Last year's Thursday game was the best attended in the history of the stadium.

#2 ranked team in the country visiting and the Gophers were coming off two consecutive 8 win seasons, totally different situation than this year.

Putting the game on the weekend or taking a bye are not the only other options, a road game is something that has been done. Not a great option, but it is an option.

This year, that would mean only six home games.

Top Bottom