Kris Humphries Beat Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte At Swimming As A Kid

GopherLady

Reaction score
Thought this was an interesting tidbit...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I remember reading about this somewhere awhile back, that apparently Kris Humphries was an incredible, record-setting swimmer as a kid before devoting himself to basketball.

I remember reading about this somewhere awhile back, that apparently Kris Humphries was an incredible, record-setting swimmer as a kid before devoting himself to basketball.

Let's be honest, like him or not, he's a fantastic athlete. This doesn't surprise me...he could have probably picked up a lot of sports and done well.

Would grow to become a 6'9" world-class athlete. Checks out.

Easy to imagine how some of the phenomenal athletes of our generation would completely dominate other "niche" sports if that's what they had focused on.

Would grow to become a 6'9" world-class athlete. Checks out.

Easy to imagine how some of the phenomenal athletes of our generation would completely dominate other "niche" sports if that's what they had focused on.

Kris may have been able to compete in the Olympics in the 50 freestyle if he would have stayed in swimming, but his 6'9 frame would be a detriment in the longer races.

Also kids develop at different rates and I'm willing to bet Kris was taller than his other competitors at 10 years old. I can speak from experience in this one. I was 5'10 in 4th grade and I was basically the Shaq of the 4th grade basketball league. As other kids started to get bigger as well, I found out I was not as good as I thought I was. ;)

Kris may have been able to compete in the Olympics in the 50 freestyle if he would have stayed in swimming, but his 6'9 frame would be a detriment in the longer races.

Also kids develop at different rates and I'm willing to bet Kris was taller than his other competitors at 10 years old. I can speak from experience in this one. I was 5'10 in 4th grade and I was basically the Shaq of the 4th grade basketball league. As other kids started to get bigger as well, I found out I was not as good as I thought I was. ;)

Needed work on your free throws, huh?

I wonder what made him give up swimming for basketball. Do professional basketball players generally get paid better than professional swimmers :confused:

I wonder what made him give up swimming for basketball. Do professional basketball players generally get paid better than professional swimmers :confused:

Michael Phelps' net worth is $55M. Kris Humphries' net worth is $18M. So, the answer is no. :p

The answer is that NBA players make a great deal more money than swimmers.

I'd guess a typical non-Phelps, non-Lochte swimmer doesn't quite top it though.

Even Lochte only has a net worth of $6 million. A more apt comparison would be Phelps net worth vs Jordan's net worth - they are both once in a generation type athletes who made more money off sponsors than off their craft.

So yes, Phelps may have a larger net worth than Humphries, but that is not a statistical norm. Your average journeyman or mediocre NBA player is going to make a lot more money than your typical top flight swimmer.

Maybe is was getting up at 4 am every morning and putting in 3-4000 meters 7 days a week plus afternoon practices after school.

Sure beats rolling out for basketball practice, running a few lines and working on your shot!

Top Bottom