Q&A: Daniel Oturu Talks Recent Gophers Offer, Upcoming Visit to U

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Daniel Oturu Talks Recent Gophers Offer, Upcoming Visit to U
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/679141?referrer_id=

Daniel Oturu, a 6-foot-9 2018 center from St. Paul (MN) Cretin-Derham Hall, is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number four prospect from Minnesota in the class. Oturu recently received a scholarship offer from Minnesota and played with the Raiders in June at the Minnesota Golden Gopher team camp.

Oturu averaged 16.7 points, 14.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.9 steals and 6.0 blocked shots per game this past year for the Raiders, who finished 15-13. He scored in double figures in 27 of 28 games with eight games of 20 or more points, including a season-best 27 points versus Stillwater. Oturu grabbed double figure rebounds in all but two games.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Oturu to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: I talked to you last at the Gopher team camp. Since then, they offered you a scholarship. What was the feeling when you heard that the homestate school had offered you?

Daniel Oturu: The feeling was really good. I was happy about getting offered by my homestate. It means something to be able to have a chance to play for your homestate team is good. Feeling good.

Gopher Hole: I know that you picked up some other offers like Georgia Tech. Who else has offered you since July?

Daniel Oturu: I've gotten offers in July from Georgia Tech, Memphis and Creighton.

Gopher Hole: How does that make you feel knowing that as a player so young, still not even a junior yet, that you are getting looks from some really good schools?

Daniel Oturu: It makes me feel really good and just makes me want to work harder to show everyone what I can do and do what I can to help my team win.

Gopher Hole: You got a chance to play with your team here and I don't know how much you have gotten to do with them beside the team camp, but how pleased are you with what looks like it should be a very good year for you guys this year?

Daniel Oturu: It looks like we are going to be really good. We just all need to come and work hard and not play around. Take everything serious. We have to prepare for every game and take everything like it is our last.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to continue to work on this summer before school begins to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Daniel Oturu: Just work on my all-around game. I just get in the gym every day. Just keep being active. I don't want to be slow coming out of the gate for the season and just be ready.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to any schools about maybe trying to make some visits and go to some college football games?

Daniel Oturu: I am going to be visiting Minnesota next Thursday and most likely going to be visiting Creighton in late August.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from now that July period is over besides the schools that have offered you?

Daniel Oturu: I've heard from Kansas. I've heard from Texas. I've heard a couple of good schools.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you want to work even harder to continue to hear from more schools?

Daniel Oturu: Yes, it does. Just having the opportunity to receive a scholarship makes me want to work even more hard, because the coaches are taking time to recruit me and believe in me as a player and it just makes me prove to them and show them that they are recruiting the right guy and to just get better.

Gopher Hole: When I talked to you at the Gopher team camp, you were getting ready for the July AAU season. How pleased were you with how well things went this summer?

Daniel Oturu: I am really happy with the way that we played. We played really, really well. We came up short at the Peach Jam. We didn't finish where we wanted to finish, but, ultimately, we got closer as a team and we finished the season strong.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about next year AAU-wise, because, obviously, you lose a lot of guys who are going to be seniors, so you, Gabe Kalscheur and Tre Jones are going to be counted on even more. Have you thought about that or talked about that with those guys yet?

Daniel Oturu: Yes, for sure. We talked about how we are going to be next year. We are looking to be good next year, too. We are looking to making a run at the Peach Jam. We are not taking anyone for granted. We are just coming out strong, like always. You got to come out strong.

good to hear he's making a visit to campus. i imagine we'll get reports that the visit "went well."

Top Bottom