CBS: Candid Coaches: It's OK to hire a prospect's father if it will help land recruit

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS' "Candid Coaches" series:

FIVE QUOTES THAT STOOD OUT
"We are paid to win games. And the easiest way to win games is to have great players. And one legal way to get a great player is to hire somebody close to that player. I've never done it, personally. But if the opportunity presented itself, I absolutely would."

"It's been done for years and the brightest minds this game has ever seen have done it and won big. It's a part of our game's hiring structure. It doesn't fit me personally because of the fact that I'd have to tell a parent on a regular basis what his child's limitations are, or what I think his kid needs to do to help us win. Or I'd have to correct his kid in front of him, which can be uncomfortable. I wouldn't say I'd never do it. But I don't have a problem with it if someone else does it as long as they stay within the rules upon hiring him."

"As long as the NCAA allows it, it's OK in my book. And any coach who tells you he wouldn't do it, or at least consider it, is lying. There's so much pressure on all of us to win. Anything within the rules that might help us win is fair game."

"Head coaches are the CEOs of their programs. Our business is about players and wins. As much as administrators will say it's about impacting the lives of student-athletes, they don't match that message with their actions. Whenever a dad gets hired because of their kid or kids, all of a sudden it seems like 'morals' are at the top of our list. That's a joke."

"I think Lorenzo Romar made the most significant hire of this offseason."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...spects-father-if-it-will-help-land-a-recruit/

Go Gophers!!

Meanwhile, springing for a player's value meal could get you probation and recruiting limitations, etc.

Jesse Owens went to Ohio state largely because his dad got a job. NCAA is over regulated for the sake of a purity that simply doesn't actually exist.

Top Bottom