PiPress: U, wrestling coach J Robinson negotiating exit strategy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

The agent for suspended Gophers wrestling coach J Robinson said Friday that negotiations with the school are breaking down, and that it appears the U is trying to make Robinson the scapegoat for the athletics department’s broken drug policy.

“From the inside, it looks to me as though the university, for some reason, wants to blame Coach Robinson for internal athletic department, and probably larger, failures,” James C.W. Bock, an attorney and Robinson’s agent, told WCCO Radio.

“The bottom line is, in all candor, we’ve been negotiating with the University of Minnesota, and if the university wants a scapegoat, then pay (Robinson) his contract and kick him out the door,” Bock told WCCO’s Mike Max.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/12/u-wrestling-coach-j-robinson-negotiating-exit-strategy/

Go Gophers!!

Does Robinson really believe he is a victim? [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Robinson really believe he is a victim? [emoji57]
Remember that his lawyer said early that J had notified the AD of what he was doing and how he was handling it. If you tell your superiors and they don't object, it is fair to assume you can continue. So while I agree with you that he's not a victim and clearly made an error in judgement, the University is making a mistake in trying to pin it on him. Pay the guy off and make him go away with a non-disclosure agreement. That's what should happen. How many more times do things like this need to blow up in the U's face before they figure out how to deal with them?

Remember that his lawyer said early that J had notified the AD of what he was doing and how he was handling it. If you tell your superiors and they don't object, it is fair to assume you can continue. So while I agree with you that he's not a victim and clearly made an error in judgement, the University is making a mistake in trying to pin it on him. Pay the guy off and make him go away with a non-disclosure agreement. That's what should happen. How many more times do things like this need to blow up in the U's face before they figure out how to deal with them?

Nobody at the U has the authority in a criminal matter. If the AD told him to handle it internally then they both violated the law "aiding and abetting." Paying Robinson off only makes sense until it becomes public (which is what you would be trying to avoid). Anyone involved in not reporting this to the police should be summarily fired. Think Sandusky and Penn State.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody at the U has the authority in a criminal matter. If the AD told him to handle it internally then they both violated the law "aiding and abetting." Paying Robinson off only makes sense until it becomes public (which is what you would be trying to avoid). Anyone involved in not reporting this to the police should be summarily fired. Think Sandusky and Penn State. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup. I can't ask my boss if it's cool I cover up a murder and if they say yes just roll with it. And expect no punishment.

When a crime (a felony at that) is being committed you don't cover it up, you don't handle it internally, you don't just tell your boss. You go to the police. Simple.

There are two issues. One is legal, which the prosecutor has declined to charge anyone with anything. Leave that legal. There is the U's problem with whether they think Robinson should be fired with cause. Problem being, to get out of a few years of pay, they open themselves you to 3 decades of stories he can speak about. Get this over with quietly and be done. Might not be the "right or moral" answer, but I think is best for the U.

The more likely scenario is J told the school he thought some kids were using and asked for drug tests. Highly doubt he told them there was a drug dealing ring with the athletes. There would be absolutely no benefit to the U covering this up. It's the damn wrestling team. Who cares if half the team gets kicked off. Looks more like J deflecting than anything else

per Shooter:

Pssst: Insiders say the University of Minnesota plans to offer embattled wrestling coach J Robinson, who has been on administrative leave since June 1 over the Xanax drug sales issue, $250,000 to go away quietly. However, it could take four times that for Robinson to consider an exit.

The University’s general counsel office, which has had two meetings with Robinson, plans to make a report on its internal investigation Tuesday.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/21/charley-walters-vikings-laquon-treadwell-is-in-great-condition/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom