Big 10 Restaurant and Bar is latest casualty to campus apartment complex

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hodger and Ope3, looks like we will have to find a new pre-game locale to meet at. Per the City Pages:

The rapid turnover of bars and restaurants on the University of Minnesota campus continues, as apartment complexes swallow up more and more prime real estate near the school.

Thursday brought news that Village Wok and Bun Mi Sandwiches are closing. This morning, the other shoe fell: Big 10 Restaurant and Bar announced Friday morning that it, too, would close to make room for a giant, 27-story apartment complex.

Known for cheap beer and sub sandwiches, Big 10 had been feeding hungry co-eds for more than six decades. Here's how they broke the news to loving fans, many of whom had kept a soft spot for the joint long after moving away from campus.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurant...y-schmancy-campus-apartment-complex/389983721

Go Gophers!!

Hodger and Ope3, looks like we will have to find a new pre-game locale to meet at. Per the City Pages:

The rapid turnover of bars and restaurants on the University of Minnesota campus continues, as apartment complexes swallow up more and more prime real estate near the school.

Thursday brought news that Village Wok and Bun Mi Sandwiches are closing. This morning, the other shoe fell: Big 10 Restaurant and Bar announced Friday morning that it, too, would close to make room for a giant, 27-story apartment complex.

Known for cheap beer and sub sandwiches, Big 10 had been feeding hungry co-eds for more than six decades. Here's how they broke the news to loving fans, many of whom had kept a soft spot for the joint long after moving away from campus.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurant...y-schmancy-campus-apartment-complex/389983721

Go Gophers!!

Grim news. Probably will be replaced by some national generic chain on the first floor of the apartment complex. This is bad.

Any indication what the owners might do - i.e. retire the restaurant or try to find another location? They still do have their location in Hopkins, and I for one would drive that far for one of their subs.

I'm still hurting from the loss of Campus Pizza.

Yeah... currently going to be a Senior. I'd say I'm fairly active socially at the U and the words "let's go to Big10" have never been heard here in my time. It's not just a Stadium Village thing either as the narrative is going for..as places like Sally's are booming right now.

It's tough to hear because I know it has that history but for a college bar to survive it has to appeal to college students.

Grim news. Probably will be replaced by some national generic chain on the first floor of the apartment complex. This is bad.

Spent 3 years of my college life pouring beers at the then Brickhouse. Lots of great memories.

Yeah... currently going to be a Senior. I'd say I'm fairly active socially at the U and the words "let's go to Big10" have never been heard here in my time. It's not just a Stadium Village thing either as the narrative is going for..as places like Sally's are booming right now.

It's tough to hear because I know it has that history but for a college bar to survive it has to appeal to college students.
Survival wasn't the issue, a bunch of places are being bought out to build more apartments, my guess is the owners were paid off. They have a second location as well, so they're doing fine from a financial perspective

Can't blame the developers on this. They are investing around $100 million on this site. The owners are the only ones to blame. They are walking away with a huge payday and could have easily negotiated for a spot in the new building, but they are walking away. That is a choice they have earned, but let's not act like they didn't have a choice.

I'm still hurting from the loss of Campus Pizza.

I agree. That was painful. And I hate going to BWW because the service there is a damn joke. But with there being less and less options, it seems like I will continue to end up there more than I'd like to.

This one hurts...a real gut punch. Big 10 was the first place I was planning to eat at when I come up for the Purdue game, but now I'll need to find somewhere else. Stadium Village is a Sturbs closing away from becoming completely soulless.

This one hurts...a real gut punch. Big 10 was the first place I was planning to eat at when I come up for the Purdue game, but now I'll need to find somewhere else. Stadium Village is a Sturbs closing away from becoming completely soulless.

So true. I am disappointed by this. When Sally's went down and then reopened it is nothing like the original and lost it's appeal. Stubs has to hold on. We need more options as well

If Stub and Herbs closes, then I am done with Stadium Village. Losing Campus Pizza and Big 10 is already too much.

Sally's was also much better before the new opening.

real bummer

Go Gophers!!

Just doing the math, I am guessing I have been there pre/post game meals 175-200 times. Factor in 5 years of college and it's around 300. I "redshirted" to enjoy more sandwiches.

There have been nights I was looking forward more to the sub than the game, as recently as this past February.

Corned beef with swiss, my #1 choice.

The wife and I are headed there for dinner tonight. We'll both have our favorite - the turkey sub. It's comforting to know the subs will still get made out in Hopkins, but not having this option for pre- or post-game meals just sucks doggy dicks. I feel bad for all the future students - my daughter included - that won't have this and the other closed establishments to patronize.

The wife and I are headed there for dinner tonight. We'll both have our favorite - the turkey sub. It's comforting to know the subs will still get made out in Hopkins, but not having this option for pre- or post-game meals just sucks doggy dicks. I feel bad for all the future students - my daughter included - that won't have this and the other closed establishments to patronize.

But think of all the great pre- or post-game memories they will have at Noodles and Co..

But think of all the great pre- or post-game memories they will have at Noodles and Co..

...or Chipotle!

Those subs haven't lost a step in all these years. We were able to bring a newbie last night - my daughter's boyfriend. He can't believe he'd missed out on that his whole life. I had a thought as I was descending the stairs to use the restroom: I want to be there when they knock that building down so I can see all the rats running from the place.

According to our server, the Wok's last day is tomorrow (Sunday the 21st), while the Big Ten ends on Labor Day. Apologies if that's all old news. Gonna have to get one more sub before it's all over.

When I think about Campus icons I like to go back to eat at, this pretty much leaves Sterbs and Annie's (Sally's post remodel isn't the same). This really is a shame. When today's college kids have kids of their own and take them to see campus, their only options will be places that their kids have already eaten at countless times at the local shopping mall.

Will they auction off the sub toaster?

Sturbs is in Stadium Village now? I need to get back there sometime.

Well, at least we still have Vescio's in DinkTown. If you ever find yourself on campus several hours before game time, go eat at Vescio's. There's a pretty decent chance they'll get your meal to you before tip-off. :p

It used to be in the basement at the corner of University and 15th from 1984 to whenever I graduated.

I'm fairly certain you were thinking of Downtime.

Stub & Herbs has been in Stadium Village since the Paleolithic Era

When did you guys graduate?
Or did you?

Top Bottom