Nate Pomeday accepted a position with the American Athletic Conference

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Anyone know any recruits this might hurt our chances with? I get the feeling this won't hurt as much as losing Kimani Young or Ben Johnson would though.

Anyone know any recruits this might hurt our chances with? I get the feeling this won't hurt as much as losing Kimani Young or Ben Johnson would though.

I believe he was the lead recruiter on Wabissa Bede. I know that Pitino was at a bunch of Bede's games as well so I am not sure how much Pomeday leaving hurts our chances.

I'd like a defensive minded assistant, the veteran angle is overrated to me, Pitino's in his 5th year as a head coach, and assisted some of the best head coaches in the game, he doesn't need an old guy to hold his hand, what we need is guys who are energetic on the recruiting trail. Maybe someone who specializes in developing bigmen

Now would be the perfect time to hire the Shaq of the MAC to be an Assistant coach.

Pomeday picked a bad time to leave as it would have been nice to have a new assistant making contacts with specific recruits and being seen on the circuit this Spring/Summer. A negative thing for both 2017 and 2018 kids where Pomeday was the main contact. That said, I was surprised Pitino didn't make a change to his staff after the season ended and there's certainly not a lot of job security at Minnesota right now. Going to be tough to lure an assistant with a decent current job right now (which might be why Pitino didn't make any changes this Spring). I did some digging on past Louisville and Florida assistants and pretty much everyone either has a job they probably wouldn't leave or has retired. One of the few exceptions I found was Mark Lieberman who was an assistant under Papa Pitino and then under Richard Pitino at FIU. According to this article (http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...le-assistant-lieberman-ready-return/29694817/) Lieberman and his wife lost a young child and he declined an opportunity to come with Pitino and Young to Minnesota because of it.

Another potential option would be promoting the DOBO Ryan Livingston who came to Minnesota from Villanova.

I'd love a veteran assistant (likely have to get someone out of retirement or a head coach who was fired last year) or an Isaiah Whitehead type situation in our favor where we hire a guy to get an elite talent (given that we likely are not going to be able to make a wow hire anyway).

I'd like a defensive minded assistant, the veteran angle is overrated to me, Pitino's in his 5th year as a head coach, and assisted some of the best head coaches in the game, he doesn't need an old guy to hold his hand, what we need is guys who are energetic on the recruiting trail. Maybe someone who specializes in developing bigmen

The Gophers need a coach with experience to help our inexperienced coach develop the players offensively and to help the team offensively. A coach who can set up an offensive game plan and someone who can help them execute offensively. Anyone who knows anything about coaching basketball knows teaching effective offensive skills/sets is much more difficult than teaching defense. The uncertainty of coach Pittino's job security will make it difficult to bring in a qualified assistant coach

Can't it be both?

Of course it can be. If you know anything about the person I was responding to, he always goes to the most negative thing right away. Was simply stating that there could be other reasons.

Top Bottom