ESPN: Wichita State suspends coach Gregg Marshall after exhibition game tirade

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall, who was ejected from Tuesday night's exhibition game in Montreal, was suspended from the Shockers' final game of their Canadian tour on Wednesday.

"I visited with Coach Marshall this morning to inform him that he is suspended for this afternoon's final exhibition game in Canada," interim athletic director Darron Boatright said in a statement. "While I understand the competitive spirit that accompanies coaching, there remains a standard of professional behavior that is inherent in a position of leadership that we all must meet. That standard was not met last night."

Marshall was hit with a pair of technicals Tuesday night and was ejected from the contest against McGill University. He was then restrained by several players and assistant coaches while trying to get to one of the officials. Wichita State trailed 58-56 at the time of his ejection. The Shockers won the game 77-71.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...pend-coach-gregg-marshall-one-game-ref-tirade

Go Gophers!!

Click the link, theres a video of the tirade and the article describes the scene.

"There were players with stitches, concussions, not keeping score accurately, a bloodbath, then touch fouls on us," Marshall told ESPN's Andy Katz. "I'm not happy nor proud of the reaction, but when is enough enough? I want my players to know I've got their back. Once ejected, I wanted the ref to know exactly my impression of his work."

In a statement released by the school, Marshall said he accepted the university's decision to suspend him.

"I fully accept the decision of the athletic department and the University," Marshall said in a statement. "As a program we expect to represent Wichita State University in a manner in which we can all be proud of, on and off the court. Last night, in my attempt to stand up for, and protect, my team I fell short of those expectations. I will gladly sit out tonight's game in hopes that a lesson can be learned that it's not just about doing the right thing, but doing it the right way."

Wow, if it's that bad Gregg, take the team off the court, it's an exhibition. My lord.

Should be suspended for more than 1 exhibition game. He was representing the University.

Marshall is definitely a little nuts. But he's still a really good coach.

. One of the top ten coaches in America. WSU doesn't know how lucky they are to have him. They might want to reconsider the suspension. He would be my number one choice to succeed Pitino.assuming the Gophers struggle this year.

. One of the top ten coaches in America. WSU doesn't know how lucky they are to have him. They might want to reconsider the suspension. He would be my number one choice to succeed Pitino.assuming the Gophers struggle this year.

He's everyone's number one coach. Marshall is not coming here, ever.

Also, WSU shouldn't "reconsider the suspension" no matter how fortunate they are to have him. They absolutely should suspend him for his actions and don't need to walk on egg shells on a situation like this.

Go Gophers!!

The problem I have with the suspension is that it seems that the coach/athlete are the only ones who get penalized. Never, ever the official. When is the last time you have heard of an official being suspended? It's always the coach/athlete who is at fault. The NCAA is famous for the officials are always correct. Just gets tired of penalizing the coach when the official may have been incompetent.

The problem I have with the suspension is that it seems that the coach/athlete are the only ones who get penalized. Never, ever the official. When is the last time you have heard of an official being suspended? It's always the coach/athlete who is at fault. The NCAA is famous for the officials are always correct. Just gets tired of penalizing the coach when the official may have been incompetent.

Some sort of parody account.

You have some of the strangest opinions on this board. I find it hard to believe that you aren't just f***ing with everyone.

Not sure what's strange. Just tired of the officials/NCAA/administration always being correct. I guess I am willing to stand up for the little guy. In this case, since I didn't see the incident, I will stand up for Coach Marshall. I have followed his career and I know his demeanor. Not sure if you have attended any of his games but I have and he is enthusiastic but fair. Again I have yet to see the Big Ten/NCAA admit that their official was incorrect and the penalized coach was correct.

Not sure what's strange. Just tired of the officials/NCAA/administration always being correct. I guess I am willing to stand up for the little guy. In this case, since I didn't see the incident, I will stand up for Coach Marshall. I have followed his career and I know his demeanor. Not sure if you have attended any of his games but I have and he is enthusiastic but fair. Again I have yet to see the Big Ten/NCAA admit that their official was incorrect and the penalized coach was correct.

You're standing up for the guy who went absolutely insane and was pushing his own guys away from him, and your reason is because you didn't see it? Not sure I'm following your logic.

Also, are you saying that if an official makes a bad call, it's an appropriate reaction to just completely lose your mind and do what he did?

Very odd logic here. You didn't see it so you support him. Even though it is on video in this thread.

It took me all of 30 seconds to find this:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/01/24/two-mac-officials-suspended-eastern-michigan-ball-state/79285912/

http://deadspin.com/conference-suspends-referees-who-called-technical-foul-1752158638

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015

How often do you hear about a coach being suspended? It doesn't happen that often either.

O.K. I stand corrected on the articles mentioned. But I can't get out of my mind the hit that Mtch L took in the Ohio State game without any penalty being called. The head official - no penalty. The review official, no penalty. Now we find the Big Ten apologizing for the missed call. Doesn't help the Gophers who with a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down, probably beat Ohio State. Loss of at least 1 million dollars with the win, a much better bowl game. Now point being, neither official was was suspended.

Top Bottom