WBB: Borton's book

“The media market in the Twin Cities is one of — if not the most — vicious media markets in the country,” she writes.

That's been a subject of much debate in this forum. Is it or isn't it?

The information about Teague confirms if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it is a duck. I posted several times well before his departure, he was a used car salesman and not effective in his role.
I think it was time to make a change with Tubby, it was just handled really, really poorly. Borton assembled the most talent she ever had and got fired. The timing was definitely not right to make a change.

I think the media here can be very vicious. From Jerry's seizure to the front page Pitino rental car story it seems the Strib either has no editor or they are completely incompetent. Lots of examples...

The more that comes out about Teague, the worse he looks. Man, what a d&ck. Not a wrong decision to make a change IMO, but way to be classless about it.

Borton assembled the most talent she ever had and got fired. The timing was definitely not right to make a change.

Timing was great. Five years, no tourney, won 38% of her BT games, attendance under 3,000 in 2 of those 5 years, under 4,000 in 5 of those 5 years.

“The media market in the Twin Cities is one of — if not the most — vicious media markets in the country,” she writes.

That's been a subject of much debate in this forum. Is it or isn't it?

I'd say maybe. Yes, definitely maybe.

In honour of Nov.6,1999:

1. Borton wrote a book? Why? Was it self published?
2. She deserved to be fired.
3.As someone who follows sports in more than one city, I do think the TC media is pretty vicious (and lazy). They love scandal and in my mind, tend to have relatively low sports IQ. Seriously, who in the TC sports media really knows the game they follow? Anyone?
4. Teague was a lech. Bad hire but such is life. Wonder what he is up to now? Likely creeping on chicks somewhere.

The Tubby/Teague dynamic and its effect on the department would take at least a chapter.

The Exodus season appears to require a multi-volume study. I believe Rand is wrong. Three players transferred (Davis, Lacey and Williams). Broback left school and Podominick devoted her full attention to track.

Of the rocky 2005-06 season, after which five players transferred while six others graduated, Borton says there were a raft of problems, including, “student-athletes who where dealing with serious health issues, childhood sexual abuse and academic ineligibility. Overnight it became culturally acceptable to quit.

We all know that Teague turned out to be a slimeball. I have had season tickets for 14 years. I wonder if she included some key points about her time @ the U. 1. She inherited the Final Four team. 2. She rarely made players better year to year. I can think of Leslie Knight as one of the few examples of players who improved from their junior to senior year. 3. She was regularly outcoached and failed to make in game adjustments. 4. She rarely got the good MN. girls to stay and play @ the U and was a marginal recruiter. 5. She never seemed to connect with or inspire her team.6. Her lack of NCAA appearances speaks for itself. I do agree our local media is vicious and seems to take pleasure when the U does poorly but that does not negate her many weaknesses as a coach.

Wow a little bitter yet!

We all know the media is pretty brutal here.. Treat the college kids as if they are pros!! Thinks they should play like pros or a pro level. Different game different athlete. We admire our neighbors more than the U program. So we interview coaches, players, and so on from all over the country but can't get someone from the u on. Very few have knowledge of the game.. They hire fans of other teams and we let them cover the gophers! Justin Gaard loves Iowa football makes fun of the U all the time.. He loves NDSU hoops more than the U! Yet we let him be a sideline reporter.
Amelia I don't think she had ever been to a basketball game in her life before she started writing about hoops just brutal.
Don't have a big time radio station or TV station covering gophers no Fox sports north like the old days where u could watch every game like we used to no WCCO ...

These all hurt the gophers program

Tubby needed to be fired .. U hear all the time now days guys getting fired by text or email. No big deal part of the deal to make millions.

Norwood yes a loser we all know that.

Wow a little bitter yet! We all know the media is pretty brutal here.. Treat the college kids as if they are pros!! Thinks they should play like pros or a pro level. Different game different athlete. We admire our neighbors more than the U program. So we interview coaches, players, and so on from all over the country but can't get someone from the u on. Very few have knowledge of the game.. They hire fans of other teams and we let them cover the gophers! Justin Gaard loves Iowa football makes fun of the U all the time.. He loves NDSU hoops more than the U! Yet we let him be a sideline reporter. Amelia I don't think she had ever been to a basketball game in her life before she started writing about hoops just brutal. Don't have a big time radio station or TV station covering gophers no Fox sports north like the old days where u could watch every game like we used to no WCCO ... These all hurt the gophers program Tubby needed to be fired .. U hear all the time now days guys getting fired by text or email. No big deal part of the deal to make millions. Norwood yes a loser we all know that.

Justin Gaard is one of the best things to happen to Gophers football on that station. Every time he fills in as host, which is often, it is almost all Gopher talk.

Not a fan of Amelia, but she has covered bball since her college days at UNC.

I may come off as rude here but frankly I don't care. Borton was a piece of **** as a coach. lets break down her career. Came here as if recall the 6th or 7th option since so other coaches were offered the position and didn't want it due to the situation at the university/program. yes she was technically the head coach of the final four team BUT of the 8 players in the rotation during that run, she only brought in ONE! the starting 5 was already here, and Broback and Podominick had already committed to coach before Borton. (Brenda Freese). Whalen and Mccarville were the driving forces of going to Final Four. The team could of had a monkey in a suit coaching them and still make the final four. Need proof? look at what happened to the team THE VERY FIRST SEASON when borton didn't have Whalen or Mccarville.

Next, what a horrible person to talk about people sexual abuse history of players that transferred. not her place to bring anything that up. Just adds to the long list of her throwing anyone under the bus to explain her being too incompetent to be a functioning coach. Numerous times after games she threw the players under the bus when she was simply out coached.

and lastly, lets talk about recruiting. I refuse to give her credit for recruiting Banham and Wagner because lets get real..both were home town kids who were never going to leave the state. A coach who could actually recruit needs to get those kids that are on the fence or looking elsewhere. Kids like Hill, Coffey, Dahlman, Johnson, Jenna Smith, Wahlin, Buck and many many more!

Plain and simple, borton should of been fired 3 or 4 years before it happened. she was a kiss ass to Joel Maturi and he gave her an under the table extension on his way out. she has no right to ever complain about the university because frankly she basically stole a pay check from it for many years. Yes Teague was a disgusting human but firing borton was the abosolute right decision. in her two seasons here Marlene has done more than borton could her last 6 or 7 years!

in conclusion, I will only read borton's book if I need a good vomit

They all like Maturi because he didn't care about on the court/field product. The expectation should be to not only foster life skills and great academics, but win also.

I may come off as rude here but frankly I don't care. Borton was a piece of **** as a coach. lets break down her career. Came here as if recall the 6th or 7th option since so other coaches were offered the position and didn't want it due to the situation at the university/program. yes she was technically the head coach of the final four team BUT of the 8 players in the rotation during that run, she only brought in ONE! the starting 5 was already here, and Broback and Podominick had already committed to coach before Borton. (Brenda Freese). Whalen and Mccarville were the driving forces of going to Final Four. The team could of had a monkey in a suit coaching them and still make the final four. Need proof? look at what happened to the team THE VERY FIRST SEASON when borton didn't have Whalen or Mccarville.

Next, what a horrible person to talk about people sexual abuse history of players that transferred. not her place to bring anything that up. Just adds to the long list of her throwing anyone under the bus to explain her being too incompetent to be a functioning coach. Numerous times after games she threw the players under the bus when she was simply out coached.

and lastly, lets talk about recruiting. I refuse to give her credit for recruiting Banham and Wagner because lets get real..both were home town kids who were never going to leave the state. A coach who could actually recruit needs to get those kids that are on the fence or looking elsewhere. Kids like Hill, Coffey, Dahlman, Johnson, Jenna Smith, Wahlin, Buck and many many more!

Plain and simple, borton should of been fired 3 or 4 years before it happened. she was a kiss ass to Joel Maturi and he gave her an under the table extension on his way out. she has no right to ever complain about the university because frankly she basically stole a pay check from it for many years. Yes Teague was a disgusting human but firing borton was the abosolute right decision. in her two seasons here Marlene has done more than borton could her last 6 or 7 years!

in conclusion, I will only read borton's book if I need a good vomit

No worries mate! Come on over and join the OTB. Punctuation, grammar, complete sentences... none of that matters!! We'll all have a rollicking Good time :drink:

ya the same season they had horrible losses in the conference including 4 in a row. Like dropping a game to below .500 Wisconsin, only scoring 35 points total at purdue and then losing in first round to Washington because borton benched her best payer (Broback) to prove some egotistical point that borton was in charge...and then had 5 players went running from the program screaming after the season. that's what I was talking about

Finished third in the Big Ten with an 11-5 record.

ya the same season they had horrible losses in the conference including 4 in a row. Like dropping a game to below .500 Wisconsin, only scoring 35 points total at purdue and then losing in first round to Washington because borton benched her best payer (Broback) to prove some egotistical point that borton was in charge...and then had 5 players went running from the program screaming after the season. that's what I was talking about

That Purdue loss remains etched in my memory. The media guide gives the final score as 63-31 (25-21 Purdue at the half). It was an epic second half guard meltdown by senior guards.

And yes Jamie Broback's Ricky Byrdsong's type meanderings around the Vanderbilt court got her benched and were one of the most public manifestations of what later boiled over.

Nevertheless, to Plinnius's point, the Gophers were nationally ranked 10/11 at the end of the first week of Februrary, three of the four losses were to ranked teams and they made the NCAA tournament. Hell, on opening weekend Minnesota defeated Candice Wiggen's top ten Stanford team. There were, perhaps, reasons to fire Borton after the season-her record, however, was not one of them.

Finished third in the Big Ten with an 11-5 record.

With Freese's recruits.

She should have been fired 2-3 years earlier. The fact that she was fired by a slime ball doesn't change the overall narrative, it just changes the circumstances. (I'm not sure that Stollings is any better. Coyle might have a decision to make this year. I think it's reasonable to assume that a dismissal, if necessary, will be carried out in a more respectful manner.)

Publishing the fact that one of her players confided in her about a childhood sexual assault is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen from a public figure.

And then to blame the exodus on that...what a nasty, horrible person.

The most recent 3 mens coaches at the U have not come close to what she did

Publishing the fact that one of her players confided in her about a childhood sexual assault is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen from a public figure.

And then to blame the exodus on that...what a nasty, horrible person.

I thought it was a cheap deflection from her responsibility for the mess. I thought she should have been fired after that season too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That Purdue loss remains etched in my memory. The media guide gives the final score as 63-31 (25-21 Purdue at the half). It was an epic second half guard meltdown by senior guards.

And yes Jamie Broback's Ricky Byrdsong's type meanderings around the Vanderbilt court got her benched and were one of the most public manifestations of what later boiled over.

Nevertheless, to Plinnius's point, the Gophers were nationally ranked 10/11 at the end of the first week of Februrary, three of the four losses were to ranked teams and they made the NCAA tournament. Hell, on opening weekend Minnesota defeated Candice Wiggen's top ten Stanford team. There were, perhaps, reasons to fire Borton after the season-her record, however, was not one of them.

I never heard the Broback story. What happened?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never heard the Broback story. What happened?

As bball noted, Broback was benched for large portions of the Washington NCAA game (she played 18 minutes). Bball said it was battle of "who's in charge" and I remember (watching on TV) that Broback seemed disinterested in playing (Jamie scored 2 points). If I recall correctly, after sitting for a large portion of the second half, Broback was reinserted late in the game in a desperate attempt to tie. It was also notable that Davis who played sparingly in the game was also subbed in.

I'm not sure there's a real "story"; but, for Broback, it was a culmination of season that began with Jamie being suspended and abruptly ended with her leaving basketball.

Back to my original point, yes there were calls for Borton to be fired (Reusse of course named her Turkey of the Year); but the reasoning would have been based on the events of the exodus and not on her coaching record which was: Sweet 16 (including defeating Stanford at Maples), Final Four (including defeating the nation's #1 team, Duke), Sweet 16 (losing to eventual nation champ, Baylor) and a crappy 73-69 loss in the NCAA first round.

Lets dig deeper into those records of her first three seasons. Can we really give credit to her for those? Whalen, Mccarville, Anderson, Bolden, Schonrock, Broback and Podominck all were either there or committed when Borton arrived. the only player Borton recruited was Kelly Roysland. don't get me wrong, I was a fan of Kelly but she wasn't better than any of the starting 5 or Broback. plus I also view Kelly as another one of those kids who really had no interest in leaving the state to begin with.

On the Broback front, I watched that game as well, I feel that beginning of the season masked a lot of trouble already. I feel Mccarville was a huge mentor and voice of reason for Broback and probably held Borton off during Janel's senior season. Once she was gone, it was clear that Jamie and Pam were not going to mesh. Jamie should of played more in that Washington game. even if she looked "uninterested" they never feel below 5-6 pt deficit with her on the court. soon as she left, back up to 10-12 pt hole. Frankly I found it disrespectful for her to throw Jamie in the game with 2-3 seconds left and expecting her to make any type of play. I would given Borton the middle finger if I were her but I'm a little more harsh with my opinions.

As soon as the season ended, borton needed to be gone. The program took a bad shift after that and even with the patch work Borton was able accomplish, the program never got back on track. Being honest, I am not 100% sold on Marlene like a lot of people BUT I will say she is an upgrade over Borton. Marlene in two seasons had both Zahui and Banham for 10 games total and still got to the NCAA tournament and was semi-close to getting there this last season. Borton has those two for a full season and couldn't get there. Marlene brought in Shae Kelley her first year and Kelley was a god-sent for that team! I don't know if they make the tournament with just Zahui and Wagner leading them. lastly and maybe more importantly, in two seasons Stollings has gotten FOUR Minnesota kids to come back to the gophers. 4 players I might add Borton sent running from the state. Bell had even committed to Borton than backed out to go to Marquette and Starr stated Borton didn't even recruit her. So to say Marlene has done the same or less than Borton in 2 seasons in wrong IMO.

Before anyone brings up that Marlene has had players transfer out as well, can we look at the level that Borton had transfer out compared to Marlene. Borton lost STARS! Marlene has lost bench warmers or in some cases players who were not D1 level athletes in the first place.

While yes I wanted a coach like a Niel Ivey (assistant at Notre Dame) as the new gopher coach, I do truly feel Marlene is upgrade over Borton and Borton was a horrible coach and now showing to be awful person.

As bball noted, Broback was benched for large portions of the Washington NCAA game (she played 18 minutes). Bball said it was battle of "who's in charge" and I remember (watching on TV) that Broback seemed disinterested in playing (Jamie scored 2 points). If I recall correctly, after sitting for a large portion of the second half, Broback was reinserted late in the game in a desperate attempt to tie. It was also notable that Davis who played sparingly in the game was also subbed in.

I'm not sure there's a real "story"; but, for Broback, it was a culmination of season that began with Jamie being suspended and abruptly ended with her leaving basketball.

Back to my original point, yes there were calls for Borton to be fired (Reusse of course named her Turkey of the Year); but the reasoning would have been based on the events of the exodus and not on her coaching record which was: Sweet 16 (including defeating Stanford at Maples), Final Four (including defeating the nation's #1 team, Duke), Sweet 16 (losing to eventual nation champ, Baylor) and a crappy 73-69 loss in the NCAA first round.

Before anyone brings up that Marlene has had players transfer out as well, can we look at the level that Borton had transfer out compared to Marlene. Borton lost STARS! Marlene has lost bench warmers or in some cases players who were not D1 level athletes in the first place.

Certainly Borton lost some solid players. I agree with you about the Stolling's transfers; although we will know more after they play this season. HOWEVER, Rangie Bessard (who became eligible for Wichita State mid-season) had a solid conference campaign (15.5 points and 8 rebounds/game). After Amanda turned pro, Rangie might have started for the Gophers last season.

Having actually participated in team practices during the Borton era, I can say her coaching abilities seemed mediocre and maybe more importantly she tended to be uninspiring and overly cold and negative. I never got the vibe that any of the players truly loved to play for her. The asst coaches were a different story, there I saw real involvement in the players development and focused attention to building a genuine long lasting relationship with the player.

Bessard and Garven are the only ones I would of liked to see more of for the gophers out of the group of Stollings defectors. However I will say I'm not convinced Rangie could be a big time player at a power 5 conference school. While she had a decent year, it was at Wichita St which doesn't play top 25 teams all that often. After watching Wichita St play Tennessee last year (even tho Wichita St almost won) Rangie did not have a good game, in fact I would say looked completely out of her element vs. an underachieving Tennessee team.

and even without Fernstrom or Bell playing a minute, I have zero doubts they will both be starters and strong contributors to the team. I easily could see both averaging double figures to help balance out Wagner. At least right now, Stollings is better recruiter of both transfers and HS kids.

Certainly Borton lost some solid players. I agree with you about the Stolling's transfers; although we will know more after they play this season. HOWEVER, Rangie Bessard (who became eligible for Wichita State mid-season) had a solid conference campaign (15.5 points and 8 rebounds/game). After Amanda turned pro, Rangie might have started for the Gophers last season.

Isn't a big reason she wasnt fired earlier was due to the fact her partner worked in the president's office?

Isn't a big reason she wasnt fired earlier was due to the fact her partner worked in the president's office?

I'm sure that it didn't hurt. I'm also sure that it had something to do with the extension that she got as Maturi was walking out the door.

I do remember that game. I thought you were referencing a situation where Broback engaged in the kind of behavior that Ricky Birdsong engaged in a Williams many years ago.

Top Bottom