Week 1 Media Prediction Thread: Oregon State at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
We're still a few weeks away, but the first media prediction is in. Building the Dam is first out of the gate:

Prediction:

While the offense looked good in spring and will almost surely be better than 19 points per game this year, it is unproven at this point. On paper it looks like it has a lot of potential but it has yet to be seen. The defense is still a big question mark after a bad year last year and unexperienced and very young this year. The Beavers will make it interesting but ultimately come up short. The Gophers win 31-20.

http://www.buildingthedam.com/2016/8/5/12384550/oregon-state-vs-minnesota-preview-predicition

Go Gophers!!

per Campus Insider:

Oregon State vs. Minnesota Prediction

Claeys deserved to have the interim tag lifted and assume the head gig for the Gophers. This is a sneaky Minnesota team that could give some teams problems in the Big Ten West, and there are just too many holes for Oregon State to pull an upset.

Final Score Prediction For Oregon State vs. Minnesota: Minnesota 27, Oregon State 17

http://campusinsiders.com/news/oregon-state-vs-minnesota-prediction-game-preview-08-29-2016

Go Gophers!!

Man, nothing would pump me up for the weekend like a 17-14 win! Ugg... barf. I hope they are all wrong.

Ditto. They are being very conservative. We should be able to put up more than 24 on a team that gave up an avg of 37 last year.

Oregon St lost by an average of 24.9 pts/gm and a median of 24.5 pts/gm. They are basically replacing 7 starters on defense with mostly JUCOs and freshmen. I can't see any conceivable way they can improve their defense enough to lose by a touchdown or less. We had a top 25 ranked defense last year. We should be able to stopped them just enough to win by a couple scores.

College Football News

What’s Going To Happen?

Minnesota will have to work for it. It’s a new era now that it really is Tracy Claeys’ full-time job, the team’s going to take on an even more physical style and should get back to the offense that worked so well two years ago.

Oregon State’s spread attack will be a problem, though – it’s going to work. It’ll be worth staying with late on a Thursday night – at least if you’re in the Eastern Time Zone – with the Gophers getting by after taking control in the fourth quarter.

Minnesota vs. Oregon State Prediction

Final Score: Minnesota 27, Oregon State 20

College Football News

What’s Going To Happen?

Minnesota will have to work for it. It’s a new era now that it really is Tracy Claeys’ full-time job, the team’s going to take on an even more physical style and should get back to the offense that worked so well two years ago.

Oregon State’s spread attack will be a problem, though – it’s going to work. It’ll be worth staying with late on a Thursday night – at least if you’re in the Eastern Time Zone – with the Gophers getting by after taking control in the fourth quarter.

Minnesota vs. Oregon State Prediction

Final Score: Minnesota 27, Oregon State 20

If OSU scores 20, Gophs score 37, not 27.

Oregon St lost by an average of 24.9 pts/gm and a median of 24.5 pts/gm. They are basically replacing 7 starters on defense with mostly JUCOs and freshmen. I can't see any conceivable way they can improve their defense enough to lose by a touchdown or less. We had a top 25 ranked defense last year. We should be able to stopped them just enough to win by a couple scores.

No we didn't.

Kent St. also lost a lot of games by a lot of points last year and we put 10 on them. The predictions should be low until the Gophers prove otherwise.

With as many changes as they are making, there likely will be some mistakes made as they shake the rust off and adapt. Later in the season, they may play better, but game one with this many changes, this tend not to go so well.

The prediction is based on our offense and not Oregon's defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to go back to September 16th, 2000 to find a non-conference game against a P5 opponent where the Gophers scored more than 30. That's when they beat a bad Baylor team 34-9.

You have to go back to September 16th, 2000 to find a non-conference game against a P5 opponent where the Gophers scored more than 30. That's when they beat a bad Baylor team 34-9.

But our OL is now taught to play Nasty

per Athlon:

Final Analysis

Rebuilding a contender isn't going to be a quick process at Oregon State. Andersen had a dearth of talent in his first season and still has tons of ground to cover for the Beavers to escape the Pac-12 North cellar. Minnesota, on the other hand, is expected to return to a bowl again this season and could be a spoiler in the Big Ten West. The Gophers should have no trouble breaking their recent losing streak to Pac-12 teams.

Prediction: Minnesota 30, Oregon State 21

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ta-golden-gophers-preview-and-prediction-2016

Go Gophers!!

No we didn't.

Kent St. also lost a lot of games by a lot of points last year and we put 10 on them. The predictions should be low until the Gophers prove otherwise.

Yes we did. Ranked 24th in Total Defense.

No we didn't.

Kent St defense was ranked 27th, Oregon St. was 115th. Big difference. Maybe do a little research before posting.

Every single prediction in this spread has the Beavers covering +13 and has the total points scored below 50... Yet the spread has ballooned from 7-9 points to 13 (a huge move) and the O/U has gone from 51 up to ~55.

In summary the media knows nothing.

Every single prediction in this spread has the Beavers covering +13 and has the total points scored below 50... Yet the spread has ballooned from 7-9 points to 13 (a huge move) and the O/U has gone from 51 up to ~55.

In summary the media knows nothing.

Well we know they struggled to score 20 pts a game last year and had almost the worst defense in BCS...I predicted 34-10. If the O/U is pretty accurate we maybe win 41-14 or 35-20.

Kent St defense was ranked 27th, Oregon St. was 115th. Big difference. Maybe do a little research before posting.

I did. ESPN has different stats than NCAA.com for some reason.

Even still Minnesota was 45th in scoring D and Kent St. was 58th. Points given up far outweighs YPG. Kent St. also plays in the MAC and gave up 52 to Illinois last year.

I did. ESPN has different stats than NCAA.com for some reason.

Even still Minnesota was 45th in scoring D and Kent St. was 58th. Points given up far outweighs YPG. Kent St. also plays in the MAC and gave up 52 to Illinois last year.

No. You are wrong. NCAA 2015 FCS Total Defense rank of Minnesota is 24. Scoring defense we were ranked 45. We also had a top 10 toughest schedule. Considering that, I think the Total Defense is very impressive. You, on the other hand, not so much on this topic.

No. You are wrong. NCAA 2015 FCS Total Defense rank of Minnesota is 24. Scoring defense we were ranked 45. We also had a top 10 toughest schedule. Considering that, I think the Total Defense is very impressive. You, on the other hand, not so much on this topic.

What in my statement is wrong? Nothing. ESPN was the first source I checked and they have Minnesota at 35th for YPG last year. They don't include the bowl game and NCAA.com does.

You'd rather see the Gophers give up 200 yards but 25 ppg. I'd rather see them give up 400 yards but only 15 ppg. Not sure how I'm wrong there either.

per Greder:

GAME PREDICTION — Minnesota is a 13-point favorite, but collegiate season openers are wild cards. The Gophers’ new offense will be slow out of the gate, but their defensive backbone will be there to keep the Beavers in check in the first half. Leidner will start rolling after halftime, and the nonconference schedule gets off to the right start. Gophers, 28-10

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/31/how-do-gophers-stack-up-against-oregon-state/

Go Gophers!!

Or, you could just go back to 2012 against Texas Tech.

2003 vs Oregon? Sun Bowl? Oh, you're not counting bowl games? Maybe you should have said that. Let me ask you this, how many power 5 non conference REGULAR SEASON games have The Gophers played since 2000????

What in my statement is wrong? Nothing. ESPN was the first source I checked and they have Minnesota at 35th for YPG last year. They don't include the bowl game and NCAA.com does.

You'd rather see the Gophers give up 200 yards but 25 ppg. I'd rather see them give up 400 yards but only 15 ppg. Not sure how I'm wrong there either.

Dude, dig that hole a little deeper or maybe know when to just give up. Total D is the standard. Gophs are playing a BCS team that was in the bottom ten in both total defense and total offense. Probably the worst performing team overall in the BCS.

Dude, dig that hole a little deeper or maybe know when to just give up. Total D is the standard. Gophs are playing a BCS team that was in the bottom ten in both total defense and total offense. Probably the worst performing team overall in the BCS.

Dig what hole? Nothing I said was wrong. I'm not sure how anyone could think a defense that gave up 48, 29, 28, 40, 23, and 31 in the last 6 B1G games last year is a top 25 defense. Did you not watch these games? Who cares how many yards they gave up? You win by outscoring the other team.

Oregon St. also played much better offenses in the Pac-12 than what exist in the B1G. Gary Andersen is a good coach and Oregon St. will be better this year.

I think the media predictions of a lower scoring game will be much closer than those of you expecting the Gophers to go out and put 30 or 40 on them. It would be great if they did, but that's difficult to do in the first game of the season against even a bad P5 team. History is also not on the Gophers side.

Top Bottom