No decision on Gophers' Reggie Lynch until after school investigation

I encourage anyone interested in this issue to read Missoula by Jon Krakauer. It is a hard read but well done. It has has been a year or so since I read it but he goes into pretty heavy detail on the rules governing sexual assault by and on students. Basically, under some sort of directive from the Federal Government (Dept. of Education?), the University has a responsibility to keep students safe and this can lead to expulsion from school for students accused but not convicted of sexual assault. If the victim filed a complaint with the U, it could end badly for Lynch. According to Krakauer (and he is sympathetic to the victims), the preponderance of proof is quite low to warrant expulsion.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/going-to-court-in-jon-krakauer-missoula

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2015/05/02/missoula-by-jon-krakauer-review.html

I encourage anyone interested in this issue to read Missoula by Jon Krakauer. It is a hard read but well done. It has has been a year or so since I read it but he goes into pretty heavy detail on the rules governing sexual assault by and on students. Basically, under some sort of directive from the Federal Government (Dept. of Education?), the University has a responsibility to keep students safe and this can lead to expulsion from school for students accused but not convicted of sexual assault. If the victim filed a complaint with the U, it could end badly for Fitzgerald. According to Krakauer (and he is sympathetic to the victims), the preponderance of proof is quite low to warrant expulsion.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/going-to-court-in-jon-krakauer-missoula

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2015/05/02/missoula-by-jon-krakauer-review.html

You mean Lynch- not Fitzgerald.

Oh my god. That is a horrific error to make. Yes, of course I meant Lynch. Somehow I group the two of them together but that is a bad error.

Oh my god. That is a horrific error to make. Yes, of course I meant Lynch. Somehow I group the two of them together but that is a bad error.

You scared me there for a second. :)

Speaking of slap nuts... School starts in less than a month, guessing most classes are fully booked and he still isn't enrolled anywhere?

He has enrolled in the Daquein McNeil School of Hard Knocks.

Hopefully my original message isn't enough to get Fitzgerald suspended pending a University investigation of the allegation.

I kid. Kind of.

Points well taken but I still don't get why law and codes of conduct couldn't be investigated at the same time. Did the U have to or want to wait because the code of conduct investigation is different depending on what the City finds?

Maybe the police requested the university not interview relevant parties until the criminal investigation was complete, out of fear that it would interfere with the investigation.

Ok...it's time.....let's get this over. Come on U

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So will a decision be made before the season begins? I thought a few people believed a decision would happen before school started? When does practice start?

I'm beginning to think the University has decided not to decide:confused:

So will a decision be made before the season begins? I thought a few people believed a decision would happen before school started? When does practice start?

The longer they wait- the more it looks like they were very deliberate and contemplative about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the announcement as close to the start of practice as they can, just to sting out the pain and make themselves look better.

I'm beginning to think the University has decided not to decide:confused:

As Rush said in their 1980 hit, Freewill, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Seems to me it would be better for recruiting (for our two big targets about to decide) to clear Lynch now, wash away the cloud of uncertainty and get some positive momentum going into the year.

Pitino stated yesterday that he and the AD are not part of the decision. It's above athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom