No decision on Gophers' Reggie Lynch until after school investigation

GopherLady

Reaction score
Feel free to move this to the Reggie Lynch thread, but if you're like me - I like the new headline just to hear the new news.

No decision on Gophers' Reggie Lynch until after school investigation via Marcus:

http://www.startribune.com/no-decis...h-until-after-school-investigation/389236121/

Gophers basketball player Reggie Lynch wasn't charged in a sexual assault case, but he will remain suspended until after a school investigation.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said Thursday on 1500-AM that it could be three weeks before a decision is made on Lynch. It still appears likely the 6-foot-9 center from Edina will return to practice this fall...

Freaking University I graduated from! Never happy with the Minnesota legal systems decisions.

Lynch will be fine, it's a step in the process everyone expected, he will be on the team in three weeks, and if he's not on the bright side Pitino can sign three recruits in the fall

Lynch will be fine, it's a step in the process everyone expected, he will be on the team in three weeks, and if he's not on the bright side Pitino can sign three recruits in the fall

Agreed; I expected this.

This makes sense. Just because no charges were filed, doesn't mean the U doesn't have to do their due diligence. Now that the case is closed, the U will look at the info and make a decision. I think it looks a lot better this way, instead of announcing the same day charges were dropped that he is back on the team. They have 3 weeks to make a decision.

Yep, dot the i's, j's and cross the t's. I wonder if FSU would've got away with all their crap with Winston and Cook beating that chick on camera post Baylor? Reggie Lynch aside, College Athletics has never felt dirtier

This makes sense. Just because no charges were filed, doesn't mean the U doesn't have to do their due diligence. Now that the case is closed, the U will look at the info and make a decision. I think it looks a lot better this way, instead of announcing the same day charges were dropped that he is back on the team. They have 3 weeks to make a decision.

Doesn't make sense to me. When was he arrested? So the U couldn't do any of their investigation until just Now? It's like, well the City PD missed with him, let's see if we can get him?

Doesn't make sense to me. When was he arrested? So the U couldn't do any of their investigation until just Now? It's like, well the City PD missed with him, let's see if we can get him?

Who said they hadn't started an investigation??

Who said they hadn't started an investigation??

Well then two more points to ponder are then why would the U need so much more time than City Police if the U had already started, and two as someone commented earlier in this thread that the U's investigation would take 3 weeks? I suppose one possibility is that the City turned over their data to the U to consider when evaluating U data but then the U data the City Police should already have asked for, so a second investigation is redundant? And an unfortunate waste of a dangling players athletic status?

Cause the PD was looking at it in terms of the law and the school is looking at it in terms of codes of conduct. The two are very different. Hope Reggie comes out of this clean, and I think he will, but it isn't that hard to understand that breaking the law vs violation of school policies are two different beasts. Just for optics/removing any appearance of impropriety it is better for the school to let the PD do an investigation before getting involved.

Cause the PD was looking at it in terms of the law and the school is looking at it in terms of codes of conduct. The two are very different. Hope Reggie comes out of this clean, and I think he will, but it isn't that hard to understand that breaking the law vs violation of school policies are two different beasts. Just for optics/removing any appearance of impropriety it is better for the school to let the PD do an investigation before getting involved.

Good points.

Points well taken but I still don't get why law and codes of conduct couldn't be investigated at the same time. Did the U have to or want to wait because the code of conduct investigation is different depending on what the City finds?

Points well taken but I still don't get why law and codes of conduct couldn't be investigated at the same time. Did the U have to or want to wait because the code of conduct investigation is different depending on what the City finds?

Just speculating here, but it could be a dual-track situation. If Lynch is charged with a crime, the U has one set of procedures/penalties. If he is not charged with a crime, then they follow a different set of procedures/penalties. Or it could be as simple as the criminal case has precedence, so they let the criminal case run its course before they consider how school policies were - or were not - violated. The U of M is all about bureaucracy and following procedures - so the powers-that-be can say they followed procedure if anyone squawks.

There are cases like these all over the country that are not about athletes and eligibility. Essentially, responding to Department of Ed suggestions/requirements, schools have set up systems to evaluate sexual misconduct cases that are separate from the legal system. The stories are legion about people (mostly men) getting booted out of school for things that didn't happen, weren't proven, etc., since the parallel internal school systems don't have the same requirements of proof that the law does. It makes perfect sense that the U would have its own internal review. Here is hoping that it is fair to all involved and that a speedy conclusion is arrived at.

Is a male student having a sexual relationship with a female student in violation of a University code of conduct policy :confused: If so, I guess I was a frequent violator.

Is a male student having a sexual relationship with a female student in violation of a University code of conduct policy :confused: If so, I guess I was a frequent violator.

The Kevin Dorsey thread is somewhere else.

If he is not reinstated by the beginning of classes, then there is more going on than has been made public.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know at many schools, a disciplinary report, strike on a student's record etc. can be given based primarily on reasonable suspicion and not necessarily concrete evidence. In other words, it may be easier for the U to find a reason to discipline him than it would be for the legal system to charge/convict him.

I'm sure he'll play though.

I'm confident Mega-tongue wouldn't of had any problem with his conduct. In fact, he may have asked Reggie for some pointers.

If he is not reinstated by the beginning of classes, then there is more going on than has been made public.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm beginning to think the Kaler facial hair is hiding a weak chin.

I know at many schools, a disciplinary report, strike on a student's record etc. can be given based primarily on reasonable suspicion and not necessarily concrete evidence. In other words, it may be easier for the U to find a reason to discipline him than it would be for the legal system to charge/convict him.

I'm sure he'll play though.

I'm not as optimistic that he will play. Sexual assault on college campuses is a front burner topic and it's more about the optics than what may or may not have happened. The burden of proof is entirely different than in a legal context and if the woman can present compelling testimony, even if unverified, of nonconsensual behavior, my guess is that the U will feel compelled to punish Reggie in some way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not as optimistic that he will play. Sexual assault on college campuses is a front burner topic and it's more about the optics than what may or may not have happened. The burden of proof is entirely different than in a legal context and if the woman can present compelling testimony, even if unverified, of nonconsensual behavior, my guess is that the U will feel compelled to punish Reggie in some way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He will play. 100% lock.

Top Bottom