Lineup Discussion Thread

Saw about 8-10 UWM games last year. (One of the many benefits of having a girlfriend who is still in college four hours away is that you get to watch a lot of basketball.) Springs is a good player. Solid shooter, above-average rebounder for a SG, average defender. I'd bet he finishes in the top 3 on the team in scoring. He's never afraid to shoot so if he is having an off night then he will hurt us, but when he's on he can keep us in the game against anyone. Many of his best games last year came against high major opponents. Springs would be my first guess as to who will be taking the deciding shot in a close game. I am more excited to watch him than every new Gopher not named Coffey. It's just my opinion, but unless McBrayer has drastically improved his jumper I think you have to start Springs. I'm not a McBrayer fan at all. I just don't think he does enough other things well to deserve starter minutes at a position where you have to be able to shoot from the outside...which is his main weakness. Again, just my opinion.

Quality depth is going to be nice to have this season. Regardless who starts at SG this year, both Dupree and Akeem will have key rolls. I do disagree with you're evaluation of Dupree though. He is an excellent passer and I think he is the better defender between him and Akeem. A lineup with Mason, Dupree, and Coffey will be fun to watch since all three are very unselfish players.

Quality depth is going to be nice to have this season. Regardless who starts at SG this year, both Dupree and Akeem will have key rolls. I do disagree with you're evaluation of Dupree though. He is an excellent passer and I think he is the better defender between him and Akeem. A lineup with Mason, Dupree, and Coffey will be fun to watch since all three are very unselfish players.

That's fair. I agree that Dupree is superior to Springs defensively. And there is no question that McBrayer's shooting improved as the year went on though I do think that part of it was that defenders started sagging off of him until about the free throw line. I don't mean to come off as a McBrayer hater, just think that he is a better fit as a reserve based on his current skill set. I think the shooting percentages have to have a lot of weight in who gets minutes. Springs shot 49% from the floor last year while McBrayer shot 32.6%. Even if McBrayer brings that number up some I still say you have to give Springs a bulk of the minutes if he is shooting at that clip. And I really like Mason, but I think a good option in games where Springs is hot would be McBrayer at PG and Springs at SG. Let Dupree hassle the heck out of the opposing PG on D while Springs lights it up on the other end of the court.

Seems unlikely to me

I see Springs starting over Mcbrayer

PG: Mason
SG: Springs-Mcbrayer
SF: Amir-Fitzgerald
PF: Murphy-Curry
C: Reggie-Konate

With Gilbert getting some minutes as well. Not sure who backs up Mason, not a huge fan of Mcbrayer or Sharp getting regular PG minutes. Thats where it would have been nice to keep Dorsey. Diedhou will get some minutes as well but not regularly. Don't see any minutes for Hurt.

I'd be very surprised if Hurt doesn't get minutes. Pitino has made a point of saying he is the hardest working player on the team on several occasions. Matthew Hurt is likely a program changer... I'd be somewhere between shocked and very surprised if Michael Hurt doesn't get minutes in the pre season. From there you shorten the rotation as need be...

If Coffey's greatest strength is passing...my guess is he certainly gets an audition for point guard minutes with his desire to play there.

Mason, McBrayer, Murphy are starters. Other 2 TBD based on resolution or non-resolution of Lynch situation. I'd lean Coffey and Lynch (if cleared) for the other 2.

It's important Springs, Fitzgerald, and Curry be solid contributors for this team to surpass what's exepected of Gophers (10th to 13th). In theory the bench should be a strength this season.

I'm excited for this team!

A lineup I'd like to see (not starting)
Coffey PG
Springs SG
Fitz/Hurt/Gilbert (Best shooter) SF
Murphy PF
Lynch C

The Length in a 2-3 zone would be Syracuse esc.

Really like the added depth and skill set added but Mason and Murphy will play a ton of minutes. A 10th-13th place is unacceptable.

Coffey PG
Springs SG
Murphy PF
Lynch C

I doubt Lynch is mobile enough to play a Syracuse type of zone.

Coffey PG
Springs SG
Murphy PF
Lynch C

Curry over lynch or move Murphy to the 5 and Fitz to the 4.

You'd be even longer if you have Coffey and McBrayer on top of that 2/3.

Springs didnt transfer here for his senior year to sit on the bench.

Really like the added depth and skill set added but Mason and Murphy will play a ton of minutes. A 10th-13th place is unacceptable.
I'll agree to an extent, although I think 6-11 is going to be a cluster****, 8-10 could get you the 10th seed at the BTT, I wouldn't call 8-10 unacceptable this season. Hell a 7-11 team might have to play on Wednesday this year, a lot of parity in this league once you get beyond, Sparty, Wisconsin, IU and Purdue. After that the only thing I am sure of is Rutgers will finish last and Nebraska will finish 13th. Everyone else it'll comedown to protecting home court and who can steal a game or two on the road

Springs didnt transfer here for his senior year to sit on the bench.

Coach can start him, have him come off the bench or be a bench warmer... What is he going to do, transfer?

Should be a strong roll player.

PG: Murphy
SG: Curry
SF: Konate
PF: Diedhiou
C: Lynch

The nice thing with this upcoming group is that there seem to be several potential starting lineups they could conceivably go with and ultimately it doesn't matter at all. The big thing though is that its not that unrealistic to envision 7 guys playing 20 minutes or more per game.

That's good depth. And it'll come in handy having players you can trust to play meaningful minutes when guys get in foul trouble or hurt (or suspended) rather than playing a guy and praying you can get 4 or 5 minutes out of him without it tanking the game.

Also saw someone say something about Coffey playing some point. Don't know if he gets that label, but again I don't care. I just like that we have more guys who can create shots for people. Might be nice to give Mason a chance to get off the ball and in scoring situations once in a while as I figure he'll be the team's best outside shooter.

I'd be very surprised if Hurt doesn't get minutes. Pitino has made a point of saying he is the hardest working player on the team on several occasions. Matthew Hurt is likely a program changer... I'd be somewhere between shocked and very surprised if Michael Hurt doesn't get minutes in the pre season. From there you shorten the rotation as need be...

If Coffey's greatest strength is passing...my guess is he certainly gets an audition for point guard minutes with his desire to play there.

I'm not saying he'll redshirt if thats what you think I mean but I think he'll only get garbage minutes in the non con games with the walk-ons and maybe some Big Ten blowouts. I suppose he could end up better than Gilbert and get a few minutes here and there but I'm not expecting it.

I'm not saying he'll redshirt if thats what you think I mean but I think he'll only get garbage minutes in the non con games with the walk-ons and maybe some Big Ten blowouts. I suppose he could end up better than Gilbert and get a few minutes here and there but I'm not expecting it.

End up better than Gilbert?? He already is better than JR. He should be getting those minutes, even if its 5-8 minutes a game or whatever. I don't see J.R. in this program beyond another year or so.

End up better than Gilbert?? He already is better than JR. He should be getting those minutes, even if its 5-8 minutes a game or whatever. I don't see J.R. in this program beyond another year or so.
Is there any chance Pitino would sign three guys in the fall and than after the season Pitino will have one of his I wish you nothing but the best conversations with one of the current players after they mutually agree to part ways.

Is there any chance Pitino would sign three guys in the fall and than after the season Pitino will have one of his I wish you nothing but the best conversations with one of the current players after they mutually agree to part ways.

There was a false assumption that Pitino would take three right away.The plan is still 2 for the fall. But its a wait and see for another possible addition for the spring signing period.

The nice thing with this upcoming group is that there seem to be several potential starting lineups they could conceivably go with and ultimately it doesn't matter at all. The big thing though is that its not that unrealistic to envision 7 guys playing 20 minutes or more per game.

That's good depth. And it'll come in handy having players you can trust to play meaningful minutes when guys get in foul trouble or hurt (or suspended) rather than playing a guy and praying you can get 4 or 5 minutes out of him without it tanking the game.

Also saw someone say something about Coffey playing some point. Don't know if he gets that label, but again I don't care. I just like that we have more guys who can create shots for people. Might be nice to give Mason a chance to get off the ball and in scoring situations once in a while as I figure he'll be the team's best outside shooter.

That's a good point about injuries/suspensions etc. We have had the luxury of no major injuries in the Pitino era. Dre had a minor ankle thing in year 1, but other than that I can't think of anyone else. (And obviously there were the suspensions for the 3 at the end of last year, but that was just due to stupidity and the season was lost either way.) I think the athletic training staff deserves some credit for keeping our guys on the floor.

You are so dooshy.

How on earth was what you bolded "dooshy". A 10th-13th place finish is absolutely unacceptable in year 4 when you have not finished above .500 in conference play or made the NCAA tournament in any of your previous 3 seasons.

On the topic of this thread, I feel like a lot of people missed the blog post from Amelia where Pitino said that Fitzgerald was more of a four (or something to that extent).

My early guess at a lineup:

Mason
McBrayer
Coffey
Murphy
Lynch

My only hesitation is possibly Springs over McBrayer if only to break up the two guys who are likely to play the point. I think this team will play "smaller" in the front court when Lynch is out unless Bakary or Gas shows a lot more than they have to this point. I'd also guess that Hurt plays over Gilbert unless he redshirts.

How on earth was what you bolded "dooshy". A 10th-13th place finish is absolutely unacceptable in year 4 when you have not finished above .500 in conference play or made the NCAA tournament in any of your previous 3 seasons.

On the topic of this thread.....

My early guess at a lineup:
You hit the nail on the head.

What does our record have to do with the lineup?

I find his desire to throw shade on the program at all costs lame.

Suprised he didn't make a comment regarding how great of a recruiter Gard is.

As long as our players aren't throwing shade on the program, we have a decent chance to be somewhere between 8th and 11th.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Douché.

I've sort of been trying to temper my Coffey hype and assumed Fitzgerald would start over him because he's probably stronger and obviously more experienced, but Ryan James also expressed that he believes Coffey will win a starting spot early on.

Last year Fitzgerald had a slight build very similiar to Coffey's, he could have bulked up but I kind of doubt it, if Fitzgerald gets hot from the three he starts all season, otherwise I think it is a crap shoot, both could start, who knows.

Interesting to see all the lineups. I don't know where we will finish or how the talent will gel but on paper we sure seem to have whole lot more talent than last year!

I think this team will play "smaller" in the front court when Lynch is out unless Bakary or Gas shows a lot more than they have to this point. I'd also guess that Hurt plays over Gilbert unless he redshirts.

Bakary will get ~15mins IMO.

If Gilbert gets beat out by hurt he might as well find a new school next year (if he wants to see the court).

Bakary will get ~15mins IMO.

If Gilbert gets beat out by hurt he might as well find a new school next year (if he wants to see the court).
15 minsb per game or for the whole year?

Hurt needs to play some and be happy! We want his brother! I predict at least 7th place or better!

Top Bottom