All Things 2016 Gophers Fall Camp Thread - Tweets, Video and More

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
Fall Camp 2016

Fall camp starts on August 5th. That's all I know! Will it be on campus? At what facilities? Any practices open to the public?

It willbe at Bierman. Practice schedule hasn't been announced as far as I know. They will probably announce that next week.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I figured we could put the many tweets, and more in this thread.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

In reference to Tyler Johnson.

Practice report from Joe C in the Strib:

The Gophers were in helmets and jerseys with no shoulder pads, so there wasn't any hitting in Saturday's practice, which was open to the public and drew a throng of people along the south sideline. Some quick observations:

* Mitch Leidner is back in charge. He was held out of 11-on-11 drills during spring practice, while recovering from left foot surgery. Today, he had no limitations. He got all the first-team reps. He threw a pick six (returned by Cody Poock) but hit several other throws to Rashad Still, Drew Wolitarsky and Co. Leidner also pulled the ball down and ran on one play in 11-on-11.

* Tight end Brandon Lingen was limited in practice. Coach Tracy Claeys said he was just being cautious with the team in no pads and Lingen coming off shoulder surgery.

* Several number changes of note: Shannon Brooks is No. 23. Rodney Smith is No. 1. Melvin Holland Jr. is No. 5. Ray Buford is No. 21. Jerry Gibson is No. 9. Wilson DeLattiboudere is No. 88.

* Some newcomers who stood out to me (in the limited amount that I saw them): WR Tyler Johnson No. 6, CB Antoine Winfield Jr. No. 11, CB Coney Durr No. 16, WR Phillip Howard No. 25, LB Carter Coughlin No. 45, LB Kamal Martin No. 44, CB Kiondre Thomas No. 31 (Eric Murray's old number), S Eric Amoako No. 30, RB Kobe McCrary.

* True freshman WR Drew Hmielewski had shoulder surgery and will take a medical redshirt, Claeys said.

* Isaiah Gentry is still a receiver to watch -- when he's healthy. Gentry sure looks the part, at 6-4, 225 pounds. He was running around fine out there today, but knee and hamstring injuries have slowed his development, so he'll have to prove he can stay healthy.

* The first-team offensive line looks impressive, big and confident: LT Garrison Wright, LG Connor Mayes, C Tyler Moore, RG Vincent Calhoun and RT Jonah Pirsig.

* A few surprises in the first-team defense -- Andrew Stelter over Steven Richardson at DT, Ray Buford over KiAnte Hardin at CB. The first D-line was Elmore, Scott Ekpe, Stelter, Hank Ekpe. First LBs were Celestin, Poock and Lynn. First DBs: Myrick, Travis, Ayinde, Buford.

* Seth Green's throwing motion looks a little quicker and he really has some zip on the ball. Mark Williams, the other true freshman QB, wears two gloves a la Teddy Bridgewater. Williams was on one side of the field, working with the true freshmen, but after going through spring practice, Green was over with the veterans. The QB rotation in 11-on-11 went: Leidner, Croft, Green, Leidner, Rhoda, Williams.

Practice report from Joe C in the Strib:

The Gophers were in helmets and jerseys with no shoulder pads, so there wasn't any hitting in Saturday's practice, which was open to the public and drew a throng of people along the south sideline. Some quick observations:

* Mitch Leidner is back in charge. He was held out of 11-on-11 drills during spring practice, while recovering from left foot surgery. Today, he had no limitations. He got all the first-team reps. He threw a pick six (returned by Cody Poock) but hit several other throws to Rashad Still, Drew Wolitarsky and Co. Leidner also pulled the ball down and ran on one play in 11-on-11.

* Tight end Brandon Lingen was limited in practice. Coach Tracy Claeys said he was just being cautious with the team in no pads and Lingen coming off shoulder surgery.

* Several number changes of note: Shannon Brooks is No. 23. Rodney Smith is No. 1. Melvin Holland Jr. is No. 5. Ray Buford is No. 21. Jerry Gibson is No. 9. Wilson DeLattiboudere is No. 88.

* Some newcomers who stood out to me (in the limited amount that I saw them): WR Tyler Johnson No. 6, CB Antoine Winfield Jr. No. 11, CB Coney Durr No. 16, WR Phillip Howard No. 25, LB Carter Coughlin No. 45, LB Kamal Martin No. 44, CB Kiondre Thomas No. 31 (Eric Murray's old number), S Eric Amoako No. 30, RB Kobe McCrary.

* True freshman WR Drew Hmielewski had shoulder surgery and will take a medical redshirt, Claeys said.

* Isaiah Gentry is still a receiver to watch -- when he's healthy. Gentry sure looks the part, at 6-4, 225 pounds. He was running around fine out there today, but knee and hamstring injuries have slowed his development, so he'll have to prove he can stay healthy.

* The first-team offensive line looks impressive, big and confident: LT Garrison Wright, LG Connor Mayes, C Tyler Moore, RG Vincent Calhoun and RT Jonah Pirsig.

* A few surprises in the first-team defense -- Andrew Stelter over Steven Richardson at DT, Ray Buford over KiAnte Hardin at CB. The first D-line was Elmore, Scott Ekpe, Stelter, Hank Ekpe. First LBs were Celestin, Poock and Lynn. First DBs: Myrick, Travis, Ayinde, Buford.

* Seth Green's throwing motion looks a little quicker and he really has some zip on the ball. Mark Williams, the other true freshman QB, wears two gloves a la Teddy Bridgewater. Williams was on one side of the field, working with the true freshmen, but after going through spring practice, Green was over with the veterans. The QB rotation in 11-on-11 went: Leidner, Croft, Green, Leidner, Rhoda, Williams.

Melvin Holland Jr. seemed to be limited in practice, does anyone know why?
Also, as far as the receivers today, Rashad Still and Hunter Register had some nice catches.

Melvin Holland Jr. seemed to be limited in practice, does anyone know why?
Also, as far as the receivers today, Rashad Still and Hunter Register had some nice catches.

He pulled his groin yesterday

He pulled his groin yesterday

Thank you...I figured it was something minor yesterday, but had not heard about it. I was initially worried that he was simply not "engaged"... glad I was wrong....

Go Gophers!!

Andrew Stelter over Steven Richardson? Richardson must of done something disciplinary wise or is limited in some way. No way that guy isn't a starting tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of my observations:

1. Play of the day was Poock's pick-6 on Leidner. He jumped an underneath route and was gone.
2. When they weren't scrimmaging, I spent most of my team watching the QBs and WRs. Wolitarsky had the most drops during drills of any WR, but had one really nice catch over the middle during the scrimmage on a perfectly thrown ball from Mitch. Tyler Johnson looks really smooth and fluid, catches the ball well. He needs to add some upper body strength, but he definitely fits in with the other WRs and looked crisp.
3. Isaiah Gentry probably made the second best play of the day, and really nice sideline catch.
4. O-line starters are already known and were mentioned earlier, backups were: Jared Weyler (C) which surprised me, Stieber and Dovich at Guard, Fahning and Connelly at OT.
5. As mentioned, the first team d-line appeared to be Elmore and Ekpe at DE, Ekpe and Stelter at DT. LBs were Poock, Lynn, and Celestin. Corners were Myrick and Buford, safeties were Travis and Ayinde. I didn't see Hardin on the field at all.
6. 2nd team defense was Richardson and Jackson at DT, Gibson and Winston D. at DE, LBs were Waters, Huff, and Cashman, Shenault and Craighton at CB, Huff and Amaoko at safety.
7. Kobe McCrary didn't necessarily stand out or look that big to me, seemed like he was smaller than JJ. Seemed like carries were pretty evenly distributed between those two and JFC.
8. The freshman LBs all look the part physically. They are probably all stronger at this stage than their counterparts at DE.
9. Liked what I saw from both Seth Green and Mark Williams (except one wobbly pass from Willams). Both were pretty accurate and the ball snaps out of their hand.
10. Thanks goodness for Vincent Calhoun and Garrison Wright. Both those guys will be starting from Day 1, and we'd be forced to roll with a few redshirt freshmen if we didn't land them. It's probably no exaggeration to say that those 2 will be worth 2-3 wins this season.

Andrew Stelter over Steven Richardson? Richardson must of done something disciplinary wise or is limited in some way. No way that guy isn't a starting tackle.

I was surprised too, but it appeared to be the case. Probably doesn't matter a lot with DT since we rotate so much.

I think Richardson is a nice player who doesn't work very hard. Probably Claeys way of saying, "get your **** together and be as good as you can be"

Duly noted.
SB23. RS1. MH5, RB21. JG9. WD88. Check.

My observations from one practice only (John Galt is right on), and:
Wright and Calhoun look the part - still questions on OL depth.
Questions on pash rush.
Rashad Still is a beast, really going to have a good career here.
Tyler Johnson also caught everything thrown his way, but needs to add strength.
Buford looked really solid at corner.
LB's are very deep, and wouldn't be surprised to see more 3-4 than what has been predicted.

One more thing..there seemed to be much more emphasis on speed of play execution offensively.

Saw the pictures on Facebook of the practice. Kamal Martin certainly looks the part! Merrick Jackson is one hell of a big boy. From the pics the O line does look more muscular to me. Good point on the Richardson thought Houston Gopher.

a pulled groin happens when the athlete doesn't stretch enough to get blood flowing into that muscle that is being worked. Absolutely no excuse- none, zero, zilch for this to happen.

John Galt;1231794/ said:
5. As mentioned, the first team d-line appeared to be Elmore and Ekpe at DE, Ekpe and Stelter at DT. LBs were Poock, Lynn, and Celestin. Corners were Myrick and Buford, safeties were Travis and Ayinde. I didn't see Hardin on the field at all.
6. 2nd team defense was Richardson and Jackson at DT, Gibson and Winston D. at DE, LBs were Waters, Huff, and Cashman, Shenault and Craighton at CB, Huff and Amaoko at safety.
No Nick Rallis?

Top Bottom