STrib: Richard Pitino has high praise for the Gophers' four newcomers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rayno:

Coffey has obviously been hyped quite a bit coming out of high school. How has that transferred to summer workouts and practices so far?

Pitino: “He’s really, really good …he is a phenomenal passer. We run a lot of ball screens and he comes off the ball screens and he can just see over the top. That’s what the NBA is all about, and this league is all about that. Michigan runs a lot of good stuff, but their personnel is all about tall guards who can throw over the top. That’s what we’ve been trying to get and with Amir, he can do that. He’s doing a great job in the weight room, he’s been extremely professional. He’s an eager learner and I think he’s going to play major minutes right away.”

What about Hurt? As I learned first hand, he’s got the reputation for a crazy work ethic. Have you seen that?

Pitino: “He’s easily the hardest worker I’ve ever been around … My dad [Louisville coach Rick Pitino] always spoke about [current Oklahoma City Thunder coach] Billy Donovan as the hardest working player he ever coached. Michael is like that. Often times, you come into the gym at 6 a.m. and he’s in there shooting. He gets in early every single day, he comes back at night. He listens to every word you say. He’s a coach’s dream. He’s got a long way to go like all the freshmen do but you know he’ll catch up.”

Lots more here:

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-has-high-praise-for-the-gophers-four-newcomers/388663951/

Go Gophers!!

Nice information

She writes quotes well. I just wish every piece she writes didn't start by reminding everyone of disaster. Just be more fun to read if it was... University of Minnesota Head Mens Basketball Coach Richard Pitino feels the coming 2016-17 season is going to be a fun one for the fans, coaches and players. The incoming newcomers are dazzling the coach and exciting their new teammates. Look for the Gophers to have their best season under Pitino. Here are a few highlights from my conversation with the smiling coach Pitino:

Is the Strib having an issue finding a hoops beat writer to replace Amelia? How many pieces has she done since she began her new gig?

Is the Strib having an issue finding a hoops beat writer to replace Amelia? How many pieces has she done since she began her new gig?

Marcus Fuller was named the new beat writer a while back. He probably had to give notice and may have also had some planned vacation to take. Amelia is just filling in.

Top Bottom