Q&A: Jarvis Thomas Has Offers from Arizona State and Iowa State, Talks Recruiting

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Orono's Jarvis Thomas Has Offers from Arizona State and Iowa State, Talks Recruiting
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/674404?referrer_id=

Jarvis Thomas, a 6-foot-6 rising junior forward from Orono (MN) High, is one of the top wings in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number six prospect in the Class. His strong play has earned him offers from power conferences Big Twelve and Pa Twelve.

Thomas averaged 10.6 points shots per game this past year as he helped lead the Titans to an 24-5 record as a sophomore, losing to North St. Paul 70-65 in the Class AAAA, Section 4 finals. He scored in double figures in 15 of 29 games with three games of more than 20 points, including a season-high 26 points versus Hastings.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thomas to learn more about his game and recruitment.

His strong play has caused him to pick up offers from Arizona State and Iowa State since this interview.

Gopher Hole: You have been playing extremely well this spring and summer with your AAU team, D1 Minnesota. How pleased are you with the way that you have been playing?

Jarvis Thomas: I am extremely pleased. My team, we all know our roles and we all do it right. We all just get it done and play well as a group together.

Gopher Hole: What things are you really focused on this spring and summer to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Jarvis Thomas: This spring and summer, I have been working on my jump shot. I usually get up every morning and work on my jump shot.

Gopher Hole: I know that the other week was the first week the college coaches could call you directly. What schools did you hear from so far?

Jarvis Thomas: I heard from numerous schools such as UNI, Wisconsin, Oregon State, Michigan and Cal State Bakersfield.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to any college basketball games this past year?

Jarvis Thomas: No. I haven't gone to any college games. I did go to a Minnesota football game (versus Kent State).

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to play with your high school team much this summer yet?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes, I did. We played in the summer league a couple of times.

Gopher Hole: What is that going to be like playing with a new group of guys?

Jarvis Thomas: It will be fun. As a group, the one thing that we need to work on is being able to transition more. Cleaner and faster. Once we get that down, we should be good, because we have shooters.

Gopher Hole: What was the reason behind the move?

Jarvis Thomas: My grandma got moved to a nursing home in Delano, so therefore, my mom wanted to move to be closer to her.

Gopher Hole: Was that kind of a tough transition because you have known the kids and had been playing with them for a while?

Jarvis Thomas: I knew some kids out in Orono, so it wasn't that bad. It is a nice school. They have a really good coach, Barry Wohler (a former Gopher player)

Gopher Hole: Do you have any offers yet?

Jarvis Thomas: I have three offers. I have Oregon State, Cal State Bakersfield and Wisconsin Green Bay

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have the opportunity to play Division I basketball?

Jarvis Thomas: It would mean everything. To be able to play and go to college for free, that is a lot for me and my mom.

He's transferring to Bishop Gorman out in Las Vegas. Doogie says an Arizona-based handler is behind the move, and will result in Jarvis Thomas staying out west.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jarvis and his mom then get upset at Doogie for referring to Jarvis having a "goofy situation," and Doogie replies by asking them if he said anything untrue.

I thought Jarvis was transferring to a prep school, Bishop Gorman? Seems like he's still playing in MN. Anyone know what happened?

Top Bottom