Rivalry Game Results (1995-2015)

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
Good Morning Gopherhole,

I enjoy going through records (usually reminiscing about old Iowa victories and some soul-crushing defeats). I know the dates are arbitrary, but I was looking at the 20 year record of Iowa against rivals. Since I comment on Gopherhole from time to time, I decided to add up the Gophers' records from 1995-2015 against rivalry opponents.

Iowa: 7-14
Wisconsin: 2-19
Michigan: 2-15
Penn State: 5-6
Nebraska: 2-3

Overall: 18-54

What's your favorite Gophers' victory against a rival since 1995?

My favorite Iowa victory 2009 victory at Wisconsin (20-10 slobber knocker of a game, kept Iowa undefeated and there's nothing like winning at Camp Randall).

My favorite Gophers' victory: 2005, 23-20 over Michigan in Ann Arbor. The Gophers had lost in 2003 and 2004 in heartbreaking fashion (if memory serves) to the Wolverines.

Cheers to College Football being around the corner.

Good Morning Gopherhole,

I enjoy going through records (usually reminiscing about old Iowa victories and some soul-crushing defeats). I know the dates are arbitrary, but I was looking at the 20 year record of Iowa against rivals. Since I comment on Gopherhole from time to time, I decided to add up the Gophers' records from 1995-2015 against rivalry opponents.

My favorite Iowa victory 2009 victory at Wisconsin (20-10 slobber knocker of a game, kept Iowa undefeated and there's nothing like winning at Camp Randall).

My favorite Gophers' victory: 2005, 23-20 over Michigan in Ann Arbor. The Gophers had lost in 2003 and 2004 in heartbreaking fashion (if memory serves) to the Wolverines.

Thanks! Nice post!

My favorite Gopher victories were 2005 and 2014 against Michigan, followed by the 2010 and 2011 victories over Iowa. The 2010 and 2011 teams were clear underdogs to Iowa that found a way to win.

My favorite Iowa victories? Any win over Wisconsin, followed by last year against us. The loss hurt, but I think it varified that the Hawkeyes were for real at that point. I think your Hawkeyes never fully recovered from the BigTen championship game. Stanford was playing with a chip on their shoulder. Up to that point I think last years team rivaled the 02 team.

My favorite wins were in '98 spoiling Haden Fry's last game 2014 was fun to, '99 sending Penn State into a tailspin that cost them a national title If they beat us I think they go undefeated. '03 Wisconsin Rhys Lloyd for the win '13 Nebraska, we were down and out and the year seemed like it was going to go south and then the unexpected happened and it ignited a four game winning streak
'14 in Michigan, never thought I'd see the gophers carve up Michigan like that in the Big House

Let me first say that I hate Iowa, I hate hog farms, and I hate you and your ugly family. Having gotten that out of the way, thanks for posting on Gopherhole! I hope you have a pleasant visit. :)

My favorite rivalry win in recent memory is 2014 against Michigan. The Little Brown Jug is the most important trophy the Gophers play for, and I hate that we lose it so frequently.

The 2014 Iowa game was fun too. Maxx Williams was incredible that day - his performance in that one game probably made a couple of rounds' difference in his draft position.

Good Morning Gopherhole,

Props for recognizing the "Broken Chair." Other than that - get lost...this is depressing (I'm kidding. Welcome...for now).

Favorites: 2003 Wisconsin, 2005 Michigan, 2010 Iowa

Least Favorites: 2003 Michigan, 2004 Wisconsin, 2008 Iowa

I'm not sure I'm old enough to consider Michigan and Nebraska Gopher rivals, despite a famous trophy. I'm only 50. The Gophers were mostly routed by Michigan throughout my childhood and also by Nebraska in the 70s (and 1983 ... ouch).

Nevertheless, the 2014 wins over Michigan and Nebraska probably rank as my favorites, mostly because of that harsh history from my childhood. If anyone had told me that we would beat Michigan and Nebraska in the same season (both on the road, no less), I would've taken cover, fully expecting a comet or another planet to smash into Earth.

Those wins were a signal to me that this ship could actually get turned around.

My favorite wins were in '98 spoiling Haden Fry's last game 2014 was fun to, '99 sending Penn State into a tailspin that cost them a national title If they beat us I think they go undefeated. '03 Wisconsin Rhys Lloyd for the win '13 Nebraska, we were down and out and the year seemed like it was going to go south and then the unexpected happened and it ignited a four game winning streak
'14 in Michigan, never thought I'd see the gophers carve up Michigan like that in the Big House

1998 wasn't an upset but Minnesota was a thorn in Hayden's side more often than us Hawkeye fans would like to imagine. Minnesota upset Iowa's Rose Bowl Teams in 1981 and 1990. They famously upset an injury-ridden but still favored Iowa team in 1984. Hayden won more than he lost (12-8, I think) against Minnesota but there were some very good games. Minnesota's 12th man on the the field debacle in 1986 may be my favorite from the Hayden Fry Era.

Thanks for sharing.

Let me first say that I hate Iowa, I hate hog farms, and I hate you and your ugly family. Having gotten that out of the way, thanks for posting on Gopherhole! I hope you have a pleasant visit. :)

My favorite rivalry win in recent memory is 2014 against Michigan. The Little Brown Jug is the most important trophy the Gophers play for, and I hate that we lose it so frequently.

The 2014 Iowa game was fun too. Maxx Williams was incredible that day - his performance in that one game probably made a couple of rounds' difference in his draft position.

Maxx Williams was incredible on that Saturday afternoon. Sweet revenge from the 55-0 drubbing by Iowa in 2008.

Thanks! Nice post!

My favorite Gopher victories were 2005 and 2014 against Michigan, followed by the 2010 and 2011 victories over Iowa. The 2010 and 2011 teams were clear underdogs to Iowa that found a way to win.

My favorite Iowa victories? Any win over Wisconsin, followed by last year against us. The loss hurt, but I think it varified that the Hawkeyes were for real at that point. I think your Hawkeyes never fully recovered from the BigTen championship game. Stanford was playing with a chip on their shoulder. Up to that point I think last years team rivaled the 02 team.

Stanford was better, period. The Cardinal would have won 9 games out of 10 against Iowa. 2002 and 2015 were magic seasons for Iowa. 2009 (11-2, Orange Bowl win) was amazing too.

Adam Weber finally won a game against Iowa in 2010. I was devastated, but he certainly earned it. The Gophers only scored 16 points in the three previous games against Iowa (Weber started in 07 08 and 09).

Stanford was better, period. The Cardinal would have won 9 games out of 10 against Iowa. 2002 and 2015 were magic seasons for Iowa. 2009 (11-2, Orange Bowl win) was amazing too.

Adam Weber finally won a game against Iowa in 2010. I was devastated, but he certainly earned it. The Gophers only scored 16 points in the three previous games against Iowa (Weber started in 07 08 and 09).
All 16 of them were in 07

Props for recognizing the "Broken Chair." Other than that - get lost...this is depressing (I'm kidding. Welcome...for now).

Man I hate made up rivalry trophies. That includes the broken chair and the victory bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the jug the axe and Floyd. Don't like the bell at all. Scrap it. I actually like the chair a little because it was funny how it started. I doubt it will catch on long term or ever be sanctioned

Do we know what Nebraska did with chair after beating us last year?

I might steal the PSU trophy just so we can stop calling it a rivalry.

We've probably played Nebraska more than we've played Ohio State so I have no problem with calling that a rivalry. Also it's been pretty even since they joined the conference and the chair is cool and I like Faux Pellini.

Top Bottom