Big Ten coordinator of officials still regrets targeting call against Gophers

Taji34

Reaction score
per Pioneer Press:
CHICAGO — Big Ten football officials called targeting penalties 21 times last season. After video review, they reversed that call on the field nine times, and coordinator of football officials Bill Carollo wants one back.

In the second quarter of a scoreless game Nov. 7 between the Gophers and Ohio State, Buckeyes safety Joshua Perry was flagged for targeting as Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner threw an interception. Vonn Bell then returned it 16 yards for a touchdown.

After rewinding the footage multiple times, the call was reversed, and the Buckeyes took a 7-0 lead en route to a 28-14 victory at Ohio Stadium.

“I know these targeting plays that still hang with me,” Carollo said Tuesday at Big Ten media days.

“It was a targeting call based on the video from television that was brought into the replay booth,” Carollo said. “The play was reversed by one of my senior replay officials, who is an expert at it, based on that video.”

Carollo said that following Monday he received another video opposite the original evidence from the press box side of the field. “Someone sent it to the office and said, ‘What about this?’ ” Carollo said. “I said, ‘Whoa.’ ”

“(Leidner) got hit in the chin; it’s wrong,” Carollo said. “That is one of the mistakes that, I can’t say I downgraded the replay based on that information, but technically, that was a big mistake.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/2...still-regrets-targeting-call-against-gophers/

I remember being super confused as to why it was reversed. Sounds like this is one of the plays that lead to the expansion of the definition of targeting.

In an article from last fall Carollo said ABC had 11 different camera angles available to the review official. Supposedly one of them showed 37's arm going into Leidners armpit and he didn't lead with his helmet.

Nonsense then, nonsense now, and a mea culpa now doesn't take away the incompetence or possible nefariousness involved with it. 11 different angles available and that was the call. Fire him.

There were zero camera angles that didn't show the hit to the chin and the head snapping back. We all know exactly why it got called back - Haves >> Have Nots in major college sports. Horrible excuses.

+1. That call was reversed because it was Minny vs. tOSU at Ohio St.
Total chickenchit overturn by the B10 video staff.

I remember being super confused as to why it was reversed. Sounds like this is one of the plays that lead to the expansion of the definition of targeting.

I was never confused about it. I knew just what was happening.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/11/ohio_states_overturned_targeti.html

Ohio State's overturned targeting call swung the game for the Buckeyes

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A targeting call that wasn't changed Saturday's game for Ohio State.

The Buckeyes kept the first six points of their 28-14 win over Minnesota when a penalty on linebacker Joshua Perry was changed on review, and they kept something else just as valuable.

"It wasn't so much the points, it's a lot of momentum that comes with it," Perry said. "It was a big momentum swing either way, so I'm glad to have it on our side. I think it got things going a little bit and gave us some juice."

There were zero camera angles that didn't show the hit to the chin and the head snapping back. We all know exactly why it got called back - Haves >> Have Nots in major college sports. Horrible excuses.

Exactly this. To overturn a call you need evidence which of course they didn't have.

If it was an honest mistake; why didn't they suspend Perry for the next game? The purpose of the rule is to punish targeting; why no punishment?

Sucks...Didn't make sense at the time. Could have been a tie game in the 4th without that mistake.

If it was an honest mistake; why didn't they suspend Perry for the next game? The purpose of the rule is to punish targeting; why no punishment?

I really think the automatic ejection plays a part in some of these calls. If it is obvious there was no malicious intent, the repay official should be able to decide that the penalty stands but the player is just given a warning.

I had totally forgotten about this. Now I'm mad.

Exactly this. To overturn a call you need evidence which of course they didn't have.

+1. We were saying just that when they were reviewing...no way there's enough to overturn. If I remember right, didn't ML actually get up and try to make a tackle? Tough kid.

+1. We were saying just that when they were reviewing...no way there's enough to overturn. If I remember right, didn't ML actually get up and try to make a tackle? Tough kid.

And the ref even said it was overturned because there was no contact to the head. How can you have evidence of something that isn't true?

I really think the automatic ejection plays a part in some of these calls. If it is obvious there was no malicious intent, the repay official should be able to decide that the penalty stands but the player is just given a warning.
This is a good point. That being said, we RARELY benefit from calls when we play Ohio ST or Mich.

I was adamant about this when it happened live! These officials have no balls whatsoever. That was textbook, textbook targeting. It was elementary. The official who threw the flag was 10 feet away staring directly at the play with unobstructed view. Bill whatever the F his name is is both clueless and gutless. But hey, they want to protect the players and get that out of the game. My ass. Perry even admitted after the game it was targeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. That call was reversed because it was Minny vs. tOSU at Ohio St.
Total chickenchit overturn by the B10 video staff.

Holy crap! I could be wrong, but this post seems almost "pro-Gopher." Well, there's a first time for everything I guess - welcome aboard Les.

Remove replay from the game, it's a net negative on the experience.

Remove replay from the game, it's a net negative on the experience.

Good luck with that...wonder how long it would take for people to be screaming about the obvious missed or bad calls...wanting a solution.

There were many game changing poor calls last season, unfortunately it was the norm more than the exception...

I recall being supremely irritated by several in the Michigan game, but cannot recall them specifically at this time, likely due to remaining mental trauma from the game. I guess my brain is protecting me.

There were many game changing poor calls last season, unfortunately it was the norm more than the exception...

I recall being supremely irritated by several in the Michigan game, but cannot recall them specifically at this time, likely due to remaining mental trauma from the game. I guess my brain is protecting me.

I think it was that game where there were terrible calls on both sides of the field (seemed to still favor Michigan though), it was all around a badly reffed game.

I think it was that game where there were terrible calls on both sides of the field (seemed to still favor Michigan though), it was all around a badly reffed game.

I feel like last year was a bad year for refs in general. I don't know if it's because of TV camera angles/replay being so much better now, but it sure seems like every year the officiating gets worse. Add on top of that, that the top teams (OSU, Mich) get the benefit from bad calls more often that not, and it's not good for our Gophers.

Good luck with that...wonder how long it would take for people to be screaming about the obvious missed or bad calls...wanting a solution.
I thought football was a tough guy game, people should just live with a little human error like we did before. Replay slows down the game, neuters officials, and still gets it wrong.

They would have likely lost anyway, but to have such a bad call go against you that directly results in points for OSU, especially when the call was correct initially had to be just demoralizing to the team.

They would have likely lost anyway, but to have such a bad call go against you that directly results in points for OSU, especially when the call was correct initially had to be just demoralizing to the team.

Perhaps, but still infuriating when your banged up underdog of a team is about to go in at half 0-0 at Ohio St. and they get screwed like that. The 15 would have given us some breathing room and maybe we tack on 3 and lead at half. Certainly a different feel at half vs. a OSU TD and HUGE momentum gain. Still a pretty damn good effort against a team who went on to have a fairly historical representation in the draft.

Without replay we win the Michigan game with a late touchdown. Review and reversal was fair on that play.

The only thing I like about replay is it allows refs to call BS (like in the Ohio state reviewed targetting call) on BS. Without it, they tend to huddle around each other and talk vaguely about speed of the game, how the play looked from their angle, gave benefit of the doubt, etc... that all goes away when you have multiple views from multiple angles and still get it wrong, then it's not a mistake, it's malfeasance.

I thought football was a tough guy game, people should just live with a little human error like we did before. Replay slows down the game, neuters officials, and still gets it wrong.

Ah, yeah...it's also way more athletic and faster than even 10 years ago. I can think of several sideline catches by Maxx that were incorrectly ruled incomplete b/c the ref couldn't catch up with the play. Way, way harder for refs to officiate in the present day.

The Michigan game was just on this past weekend. Peppers got away with a few penalties that weren't called including one where he grabbed Wolitarsky's facemask. It was a poorly officiated game overall.

The Michigan game was just on this past weekend. Peppers got away with a few penalties that weren't called including one where he grabbed Wolitarsky's facemask. It was a poorly officiated game overall.

Also from last year:
Michigan lining up offside: https://twitter.com/11W/status/660803918486618112/photo/1 (I know this one has been debated, but let's face it, these debatable calls rarely go our way)

Iowa's non holding: https://twitter.com/therealslapshot/status/665749385620295680/photo/1

another non holding on Iowa https://twitter.com/DylanJCyr/status/665722169255723008/photo/1

couldn't find a pic of it, but Lingen got called for holding on a perfectly legal block that game as well.

In games as close as we had vs Iowa and Michigan, those calls or non-calls were difference makers in the outcome of the game.

Once again players and/ or coaches get penalized for commenting about the officiating concerning poor judgments and obvious missed calls. But does the responsible official EVER get any kind of reprimand? Not to my knowledge. One would think that the newspaper people would be demanding copies of the appropriate emails by the open meetings law.

Once again players and/ or coaches get penalized for commenting about the officiating concerning poor judgments and obvious missed calls. But does the responsible official EVER get any kind of reprimand? Not to my knowledge. One would think that the newspaper people would be demanding copies of the appropriate emails by the open meetings law.

Officials have been suspended in the past for bad calls. The refs from last year's Duke-Miami fiasco were suspended 2 games: http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/01/miami-duke-lateral-play-referees-suspended

I know they are constantly evaluated so my guess is that if you are making a lot of bad calls you eventually get fired or demoted.

This is infuriating. I wonder what changed Carollo's mind? These were his comments to Joe C last November when he said they got the call RIGHT!

Big Ten officiating coordinator Bill Carollo called and spent 35 minutes explaining. He agreed with the call. I’m not saying he’s right, and I certainly wouldn’t expect Gophers fans to agree. But at least he explained the decision.

On Saturday, with the Gophers and Ohio State tied 0-0 late in the second quarter, Leidner released a third-down pass. Perry blitzed from his linebacker spot and leveled the quarterback, with the impact snapping Leidner’s head backward. Vonn Bell intercepted the pass and returned it for a touchdown, but there was a targeting flag. The officials sent it to the replay booth. From that point, the decision took 54 seconds.

ABC showed viewers four replays. The network’s rules expert, Bill LeMonnier, started saying, “Well, the quarterback’s a defenseless player. It looks like the contact’s forcible, the way his head snaps back — .”

The referee was ready: “After further review,” he said, “it is determined that the contact was not to the head or neck area. Targeting is reversed. Number 37 [Perry] remains in the ballgame. The result of the play is a touchdown.”

A crowd of 108,075 at Ohio Stadium roared its approval.

NCAA Rule 9.1.4 states: “No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul.”

Carollo considers targeting the most important rule football has adopted in recent years because of the way it’s improving player safety. He said there have actually been twice as many targeting penalties called in the Big Ten this year than last year at this time.

But as he said, there are blatant targeting calls, there are calls that clearly aren’t targeting and a gray area in between.

On this hit, “If you look from behind, it looks like targeting,” Carollo said. “And if you saw the officials on the field, they conferred. One threw the flag, and the other didn’t think it was [targeting].”

The replay official needed indisputable evidence to overturn the targeting call.

Carollo said ABC had 11 “very usable” camera angles. The replay official based his decision on a high angle, coming from Leidner’s right side, and the left side of the defense.

“They felt [Perry’s] hands came in first,” Carollo said. “Yes, there was contact to the head, but the forcible contact came into the chest area. We felt that it was a properly thrown flag on the field. But when it went to replay, there was enough evidence to overturn it.”

He added: “[Perry’s] hand went under [Leidner’s] armpit. [The helmet] came through, yes, but his face was up. He didn’t use the crown. He had contact to the chin, but we didn’t think the force was there. We thought it was about 6 inches lower. Most of it was at the chest.”

On Sunday, someone sent me a video clip that ABC apparently didn’t have, an angle from Leidner’s front that clearly showed Perry’s helmet hitting Leidner’s chin.

Had the targeting penalty stood, Perry would have been ejected. Carollo said the decision is final after the replay official looks at it, so there was no chance of retroactive punishment.

“Maybe we don’t have that [angle],” Carollo said. “But we have to make a decision in about a minute’s time, based on all the video angles that we have on TV.”

He added: “We do a pretty good job. It doesn’t mean we’re perfect. But every call’s like that. It’s in the eyes of the beholder.”

Top Bottom