ESPN: heartbroken Mortell copes with deaths of Sam Foltz, Mike Sadler

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...ll-copes-with-deaths-of-sam-foltz-mike-sadler

Just a few days earlier, the five punting pals -- Mortell from Minnesota, Sadler from Michigan State, Foltz from Nebraska, Riley Dixon from Syracuse and Drew Meyer from Wisconsin -- were rapid-firing texts at one another, cracking jokes and making plans for their annual Wisconsin reunion at the Kohl's kicking camps. Sadler, Foltz and Meyer were in; Dixon, a rookie with the Denver Broncos, was out.

Mortell was the lone undecided, mindful that Packers players were reporting to training camp at 6 a.m. Monday but also knowing he was only a 2½-hour drive away.

"They asked me if I was going to come down," Mortell said, his eyes red. "And I said, 'I don’t think I’m going to make it this weekend, guys.'"

Who's cutting the damn onions? Such a sad story.

Thank you for linking that article. I stumbled onto Foltz's and Sadler's Twitter accounts through Peter's. They were hilarious and I loved their interactions, especially during the peak Faux Pelini period. It was heartbreaking to read of their deaths. I knew of, and followed the progress of, three punters (I know, weird thing to do), and now two of them are gone. Such a tragic, sad loss of two wonderful young men.

Top Bottom