Q&A: Lakeville's Shae Mitchell Says He Would be Very Excited if Gophers Offered

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Lakeville's Shae Mitchell Says He Would be Very Excited if Gophers Offered
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/672708?referrer_id=

Minnesota has already offered four players from the Class of 2018 in Tre Jones, Race Thompson, Gabe Kalscheur and Daniel Oturu. However, there is plenty of talent from that class that the Gopher coaching staff is watching this July.

Shae Mitchell, a 6-foot-6 rising junior forwards from Lakeville (MN) South, is one of the top wings in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number seven prospect in the Class.

Mitchell averaged 16.4 points shots per game this past year as he helped lead the Cougars to an 18-10 record as a sophomore, losing to Rochester John Marshall 65-59 in the Class AAAA, Section 1 semifinals. He scored in double figures in 24 of 28 games with eight games of more than 20 points, including a season-high 30 points versus Eastview.

Gopher Hole caught up with Mitchell to learn more about his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You have been playing extremely well this spring and summer with your AAU team, D1 Minnesota. How pleased are you with the way that you have been playing?

Shae Mitchell: I am very pleased. I knew that there was a lot of hype coming into the team, because I didn't play with them last year, but I am really excited for the end of July and what we have done.

Gopher Hole: You are playing well and getting a lot of college coaches at your games. Do you notice the coaches or do you try not to or is it hard not to?

Shae Mitchell: I try not to, but most of our games we have baselines filled, but it's nothing big. You just got to play.

Gopher Hole: I know that the other week was the first week the college coaches could call you directly. What schools did you hear from so far?

Shae Mitchell: I have gotten calls from Drake, UNI, UW-Milwaukee, Stanford, Clemson. Schools like that.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many college or college basketball games this past year?

Shae Mitchell: The "U" invited me to a game, one of the earlier games and that was fun and then I went to the Wisconsin-Gopher game.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any offers yet?

Shae Mitchell: Drexel offered me a couple of weeks ago.

Gopher Hole: What was that feeling like to get that first offer?

Shae Mitchell: That was awesome. I was excited.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have the opportunity to play Division I basketball?

Shae Mitchell: It would mean everything to me. Free schooling and playing at that level would be awesome.

Gopher Hole: What things are you really focused on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Shae Mitchell: I want to continue to dribble. That is a big part of my game, because I am hopefully going to be a "3" in college, so I have to be able to get to the basket and consistently shoot.

Gopher Hole: How about Lakeville South? I know that you and Jack Sorenson (the team's leading scorer with 22.7 points per game) are back. You lost a couple of seniors, but have some good players coming back. What are the expectations this upcoming season?

Shae Mitchell: We should be good. There is a lot of hype coming into the year. I'm excited. Everybody's excited.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers have brought you in for a couple of events, including the Minnesota-Kent State football game. What would it mean to have the chance to maybe play for the home state school?

Shae Mitchell: It would be awesome. If they reached out and offered me, I would be very excited.

Gopher Hole: Have you always been a basketball player or have you played other sports in the past?

Shae Mitchell: I played football, too. I did track, but I couldn't pursue that because of AAU.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a basketball family?

Shae Mitchell: My dad (Lester Mitchell) did play at Mankato State. He ran track there, too

Gopher Hole: Is that where you got the love of basketball from him?

Shae Mitchell: Yes.

Gopher Hole: Do you still play at all against each other?

Shae Mitchell: I tear him up (Laughing).

Gopher Hole: Do you still play or has he quit since you were able to start beating him?

Shae Mitchell: He has kind of quit, but he is a big part of my basketball career.

Gopher Hole: What does he tell you about playing college sports?

Shae Mitchell: He says that you have got to focus. That is the biggest thing. There is a lot of trouble that you can get into, but you just have to stay focused on school and getting in the gym.

His father, Lester Mitchell, is a blast from the past for those from southeastern Minnesota, as he starred at Rushford-Peterson in the late '80s, particularly at track and field (a quick search reminded me that he won the State 200 & 400 meters, class A, in '89).

Top Bottom