Clayes on Gophers offensive line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Gophers football coach Tracy Claeys said that there isn’t any question that the offensive linemen have not only put on weight but have improved their strength a lot since spring practice. “You know they weren’t happy with the way they played a year ago, also, and so you know they’ve got not only the players at practice but I think they’re doing a couple sessions on their own in the weight room,” Claeys said. “With coach [Jay] Miller here, they have great pride in that group and they want to do well, and they put in the extra work this summer, and you can obviously tell.”

http://www.startribune.com/dennis-green-s-greatness-went-well-beyond-his-coaching/388038302/

Go Gophers!!

I'm glad they like [Jay] Miller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee, that sounds remarkably like the comments Claeys made on the Sports Huddle last week.

Sid's "columns" now fall into one of three categories: 1. re-purposed quotes from previous interviews. 2. Sid tells a story as he remembers it from the good old days.
3. Sid rants about something he's upset with.

I vote for son to replace Sid on the Sports Huddle. Serious.

I vote for son to replace Sid on the Sports Huddle. Serious.

Hopefully you mean Short Ornery Norwegian and nod Sid's son Chad Hartman! He should not now, or ever been on radio!!

Absolutely critical for our OL to take a big step.

Any updated on B.J. Autry?

How much bigger and stronger can each new coaching staff make them? Seems to me I read these same comments about the O Line when Kill took over and the huge strides they made (size and muscle) vs. the previous regime. We just need to keep firing the O line coaches and eventually we'll have 5 Incredible Hulks along the line!

How much bigger and stronger can each new coaching staff make them? Seems to me I read these same comments about the O Line when Kill took over and the huge strides they made (size and muscle) vs. the previous regime. We just need to keep firing the O line coaches and eventually we'll have 5 Incredible Hulks along the line!

Love it!

Yeah, I found that statement somewhat odd as well. With Kline still around I am surprised there would be that much difference from last year.

Yeah, I found that statement somewhat odd as well. With Kline still around I am surprised there would be that much difference from last year.
If I recall correctly, Coach Bart (Jay) Miller was working with/ telling coach Kline what he was looking for strength wise for the OL. Remember like Mason, there was talk that Kill liked leaner OL. Sounds like coach Miller likes sun blocking maulers.

It may have been on Cake Show, Ryan Burns was talking about the O Line, and mentioned the mentality of the lineman we are recruiting now is much different than it was under Limegrover. Maybe that's going to be the biggest difference?

I recall reading that we've totally changed the way we train OL this year. Kill talked a lot about "bending". I don't remember a bunch of chatter about how much stronger they were under him, but could have been.

It may have been on Cake Show, Ryan Burns was talking about the O Line, and mentioned the mentality of the lineman we are recruiting now is much different than it was under Limegrover. Maybe that's going to be the biggest difference?

So now we are looking for "Nasty" "win at all costs" offensive linemen? What the hell were we looking for before? Passive "matador" types?

So now we are looking for "Nasty" "win at all costs" offensive linemen? What the hell were we looking for before? Passive "matador" types?

Correct, Limey liked the intellectual, gentle giant types. Miller is looking for "The Hound" and "The Mountain" types. Real bad S.O.B's with serious attitude problems. ; )

Correct, Limey liked the intellectual, gentle giant types. Miller is looking for "The Hound" and "The Mountain" types. Real bad S.O.B's with serious attitude problems. ; )

Better be careful now, I'm sure exploding heads will cause a penalty! (I've hopefully been vague enough to avoid GOT spoilers here)

Miller learned his trade at WI under Boasted. Boasted had a very organized series of drills for the OL.
One of the most important aspects of OL play is trusting the fellow next to you and learning to work as a unit.
All of that takes time and experience.

Miller learned his trade at WI under Boasted. Boasted had a very organized series of drills for the OL.
One of the most important aspects of OL play is trusting the fellow next to you and learning to work as a unit.
All of that takes time and experience.

my biggest source of encouragement was watching Miller with the OL. He had them in groups running drills one after the other, and he was sprinting around to each group to get more work done. I have to say, watching Limey run drills and Miller, it was night and day. And taking Pirsig's comments about how much harder they were working, I'm feeling pretty good. Have to stay healthy for this year, but lots of depth starting next year.

Having coached offensive linemen, I can assure the readers that Miller will create far more enthusiasm than Limey. Talent is nice, but we all have seen less talented teams win. Effort, attitude, with talent will win. Coaches job is to create that passion for winning. Can't wait to see Coach Miller's crew in action. Far as Kline is concerned, he will do what the position coaches want done.

Top Bottom