Catching Up - Projected starters for season opener

Did you watch the Nebraska game last year when Williams started at LB? I doubt he ever plays meaningful minutes again...

You're ready to write off a kid after his sophomore season?

A few opinions after reading through:

If Kiante is our starting CB I hope we have someone else that can return punts and kicks. My money is on Winfield Jr. We'll see.

Woli and Carter will be the starters but the other guys will get reps. Our RBs will get a number of targets as well.

Considering the complexity of defending modern offenses I wouldn't necessarily write off any of the listed underclassmen that struggled. Instincts often come with experience. I'd like to see more out of Ekpe though.

I thought the same thing about Jackson. He'll have to be really good for a 1st year JuCo transfer to unseat Ekpe.

Assuming everyone is healthy, I think Richardson plays a ton - with Jackson, Ekpe, and Stelter rotating fairly evenly beside him based on performance and game-situation/matchups.

I'll preface this by pointing out the Gophers do have a new D-Coordinator, so there could be some slight differences in philosophy, but assuming no major differences from last year, I think and hope we'll see a lot of guys getting PT on the D-line. that accomplishes several things - 1st, keeps everyone a little fresher, so they don't wear down in the 2nd half. 2nd, if a player is taking advantage of a particular matchup, he can get more reps based on the situation. and 3rd, the coaches can mix-and-match depending on situation and opponent - go bigger against a power team - go smaller or quicker against a finesse team.

You're ready to write off a kid after his sophomore season?

Williams will be a junior this year. He's our 4th string MLB and has been passed up on the depth chart by Waters, a redshirt freshman. I'm not expecting greatness at this point...

Williams will be a junior this year. He's our 4th string MLB and has been passed up on the depth chart by Waters, a redshirt freshman. I'm not expecting greatness at this point...

Where did you see this? How can Waters be on a depth chart when one hasn't been released since last season?

One nicely place article on how he plays "nasty" and everyone here will love him again. Also, he isn't 4th string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you don't think that anyone improves enough after their sophomore year to warrant chances to improve? Might as well have dumped Mitch before his junior year- ahhh- I get it- you're Wait!what? in disguise.

So you don't think that anyone improves enough after their sophomore year to warrant chances to improve? Might as well have dumped Mitch before his junior year- ahhh- I get it- you're Wait!what? in disguise.

Of course kids improve, but Williams is 4th string as a junior behind Poock, Rallis, and Waters. Claeys compared Waters recently to Damien Wilson. Mitch played significantly as a sophomore and was never 4th string. Do you honestly believe Williams will see more than 30 snaps on defense this year?

One nicely place article on how he plays "nasty" and everyone here will love him again. Also, he isn't 4th string.

So what is he?

Of course kids improve, but Williams is 4th string as a junior behind Poock, Rallis, and Waters. Claeys compared Waters recently to Damien Wilson. Mitch played significantly as a sophomore and was never 4th string. Do you honestly believe Williams will see more than 30 snaps on defense this year?

I don't think Waters or Williams sees a ton of time barring an injury to Rallis or Poock. I wouldn't mind it if they Red-shirted Williams so that he and Waters each had multiple years of eligibility left after Poock/Rallis complete their careers this fall. As an aside- Rallis never showed much, in part due to injury, prior to his breakout game against WI last year. Hopefully Williams can do the same if given a chance.

I don't think Waters or Williams sees a ton of time barring an injury to Rallis or Poock. I wouldn't mind it if they Red-shirted Williams so that he and Waters each had multiple years of eligibility left after Poock/Rallis complete their careers this fall. As an aside- Rallis never showed much, in part due to injury, prior to his breakout game against WI last year. Hopefully Williams can do the same if given a chance.

agree on all points.

Where did you see this? How can Waters be on a depth chart when one hasn't been released since last season?

Based on this logic, Merrick Jackson and Vincent Calhoun won't be playing since they aren't on the depth chart.

Based on this logic, Merrick Jackson and Vincent Calhoun won't be playing since they aren't on the depth chart.

Saying someone won't be playing and that they're not on the depth chart are two very different things.

You're making declarative statements as though they are fact, when in reality they're based on your own inferences and prejudices. You felt Williams played horribly against Nebraska last year, so you have it in your mind that he's never playing again. You noticed that he wasn't playing much in the spring practices, which of course reinforces your preconceived notion that he's "4th string", as if you would know at this point.

Saying someone won't be playing and that they're not on the depth chart are two very different things.

You're making declarative statements as though they are fact, when in reality they're based on your own inferences and prejudices. You felt Williams played horribly against Nebraska last year, so you have it in your mind that he's never playing again. You noticed that he wasn't playing much in the spring practices, which of course reinforces your preconceived notion that he's "4th string", as if you would know at this point.

I'm primarily stating facts. Williams started against Nebraska, got pulled, and didn't play another snap at LB the rest of the year. Fact. He was the 3rd string MLB at the end of last season behind Poock and Rallis. Fact.

My opinion based on observing spring practice and Claeys comments: he's currently behind Waters as well.

I'm primarily stating facts. Williams started against Nebraska, got pulled, and didn't play another snap at LB the rest of the year. Fact. He was the 3rd string MLB at the end of last season behind Poock and Rallis. Fact.

Great. I don't see anything in there about him being 4th string.

My opinion based on observing spring practice and Claeys comments: he's currently behind Waters as well.

Then don't state it as a fact. "He's 4th string" is a factual statement. If it matches up with your opinion that he should be 4th string, that's luck, not fact.

Great. I don't see anything in there about him being 4th string.

Then don't state it as a fact. "He's 4th string" is a factual statement. If it matches up with your opinion that he should be 4th string, that's luck, not fact.

stfu

I think Waters will play a significant role this year. It's possible he even starts. Staff has played around with moving Poock and Rallis to OLB.

The guys who can play, and help the team win, will play. The guys who can't play to the same level will be on special teams or watching from the sidelines. it's up to the coaches to figure out who can play - and help the rest to improve. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of rotation on defense at all positions to keep guys fresh, or try to mix-and-match based on the situation and what the opponents are running.

I think Waters will play a significant role this year. It's possible he even starts. Staff has played around with moving Poock and Rallis to OLB.

Anyone see at practice if Weber (LB-Junior PWO) got any reps? He was on and off special teams last year. Played some against Northwestern.

Anyone see at practice if Weber (LB-Junior PWO) got any reps? He was on and off special teams last year. Played some against Northwestern.

didn't stand out to me, but I wasn't looking for him. Waters stood out big time.

Top Bottom