Catching Up - Projected starters for season opener

Johnob2

Reaction score
Watched the spring game but not read much on latest injury updates/position battles etc.

Will be very grateful if someone can spend a few minutes to either post an up-to-date weblink or note down the likely starters for the opener?

I'm sure it will change from the time camp starts to the time we face Oregon State as I expect some Freshmen like Durr, Thomas, Winfield, Coughlin, and Martin to really push for early playing time. Another thing that could change would be how much the 3-4 is used defensively. This would be my guess at a depth chart heading into camp.
QB-Leidner, Croft/Rhoda/Green/Williams
RB-Brooks/Smith, McCrary/Johannesson
FB-Beebe, Mohs
H TE-Lingen, Hart
Y TE-Wozniak, Beebe
Z- Carter, Holland, Gentry
X- Wolitarsky, Still, Register
LT- Wright, Fahning
LG- Mayes, Oseland
C- Moore, Weyler
RG- Calhoun, Dovich
RT- Pirsig, Greene

DE- Elmore, Kafo
DT- Richardson, Stelter, Timms
DT- Jackson, S. Ekpe, Moore
DE- H.Ekpe, DeLattiboudere
LB- Lynn, Huff, Martin
LB- Poock, Rallis/Waters
LB- Celestin, Coughlin, Cashman
CB- Myrick, Shenault, Durr
S- Travis, McGhee, Johnson/Craighton
S- Rogers, Ayinde, Amoako
CB- Buford/Hardin, Thomas, Winfield

KR- Hardin, Winfield
PR- Hardin, Winfield
K- Santoso, Carpenter
P- Santoso, Herbers/McElfresh
LS- Jordahl, Hansen

I hope someone unseats Ekpe from his de spot if hes considered a starter...

I believe Everett Williams will be in the LB mix.

Has anyone heard if Ace Rogers is back from his knee injury?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

You might be right but personally I think you got him mixed up with someone else..

After a little research here's what I found Ekpe totals 4 solo tackles 11 total 2.5 tfl 2.5 sacks..
But whatever I hope he quadruples those stats a few times over in 2016 /2017 season..

Carpenter is starting PK
Still should start over Woli, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be right but personally I think you got him mixed up with someone else..

I may be wrong but i don't think he was starting or getting as much playing time until our DTs starting dropping and
guys like Elmore and Stelter were moved over giving Hank a chance at DE, but having recently watched the OSU/Iowa
games, he was constantly after the QB, being held several times in that Iowa game...he could've had 3-4 sacks on
Beat-Hard..

Thanks all for bringing me up-to-date - much appreciated.

If the Offensive line gels/avoids injuries I'm feeling pretty confident about this year.

Best wishes

Ski-u-mah.

JFC will be in the mix at RB. I think Williams will be the #2 or #3 QB after Fall practice.

A healthy Isiah Gentry is probably starting... That kids got serious acceleration!

Any chance of Duke Anywanu seeing significant TE playing time? Suppose it depends on Fall camp.

Any chance of Duke Anywanu seeing significant TE playing time? Suppose it depends on Fall camp.

Things were looking better about four weeks ago but NOTHING has been said since then.

Starters really only matter on the OL, QB and DB. Everywhere else will use a large rotation.

I hope someone unseats Ekpe from his de spot if hes considered a starter...
The only reason that would be a good thing is that it means someone else has really stepped up their game and is making a big leap. Ekpe is solid and I assume he will improve (as many players do entering their upper class seasons).

I think Still has a breakout year, at WR.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it will change from the time camp starts to the time we face Oregon State as I expect some Freshmen like Durr, Thomas, Winfield, Coughlin, and Martin to really push for early playing time. Another thing that could change would be how much the 3-4 is used defensively. This would be my guess at a depth chart heading into camp.
FB-Beebe, Mohs
H TE-Lingen, Hart
Y TE-Wozniak, Beebe
LT- Wright, Fahning
LG- Mayes, Oseland
C- Moore, Weyler
RG- Calhoun, Dovich
RT- Pirsig, Greene

DE- Elmore, Kafo
LB- Lynn, Huff, Martin
LB- Poock, Rallis/Waters

KR- Hardin, Winfield
PR- Hardin, Winfield
K- Santoso, Carpenter
LS- Jordahl, Hansen[/QUOTE

Everyone is penciling Merrick Jackson in as the starter at DT, but I'm not sure he beats out Scott Ekpe. Jackson has been on campus 6 months and Ekpe has been a multiple year starter and this is his 5th year in the program.

Something has gone seriously wrong if we play 3 freshman corners this year. My bet is 1 plays and 2 redshirt.

Look at the back-up DEs, and shudder....

The only reason that would be a good thing is that it means someone else has really stepped up their game and is making a big leap. Ekpe is solid and I assume he will improve (as many players do entering their upper class seasons).

Just curious, why was he solid? Our pass rush was abysmal.

I believe Everett Williams will be in the LB mix.

Has anyone heard if Ace Rogers is back from his knee injury?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Did you watch the Nebraska game last year when Williams started at LB? I doubt he ever plays meaningful minutes again...

Everyone is penciling Merrick Jackson in as the starter at DT, but I'm not sure he beats out Scott Ekpe. Jackson has been on campus 6 months and Ekpe has been a multiple year starter and this is his 5th year in the program.

Something has gone seriously wrong if we play 3 freshman corners this year. My bet is 1 plays and 2 redshirt.

I thought the same thing about Jackson. He'll have to be really good for a 1st year JuCo transfer to unseat Ekpe.

FB-Beebe, Mohs
H TE-Lingen, Hart
Y TE-Wozniak, Beebe
LT- Wright, Fahning
LG- Mayes, Oseland
C- Moore, Weyler
RG- Calhoun, Dovich
RT- Pirsig, Greene

DE- Elmore, Kafo
LB- Lynn, Huff, Martin
LB- Poock, Rallis/Waters

KR- Hardin, Winfield
PR- Hardin, Winfield
K- Santoso, Carpenter
LS- Jordahl, Hansen[/QUOTE

I think the 3 freshmen corners all play because they are just that good gonna be tough to keep off the field but might be able to redshirt 1 of them. Could easily see Myrick and Buford starting at corner with Hardin and Thomas backing them up and Durr playing the nickel with maybe Winfield or Shenault the backup there and the 3 freshman DBs would all definitely be able to contribute on special teams.

I think the 3 freshmen corners all play because they are just that good gonna be tough to keep off the field but might be able to redshirt 1 of them. Could easily see Myrick and Buford starting at corner with Hardin and Thomas backing them up and Durr playing the nickel with maybe Winfield or Shenault the backup there and the 3 freshman DBs would all definitely be able to contribute on special teams.

My money is on Myrick and Hardin starting, with Shenault and Buford as the nickel and dime corners. One of the freshman, probably Durr, also makes it into the rotation.

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's fair to say that someone with under 20 career receptions hasn't broken out yet.

I hear you Bob, but imo, anyone who takes a pass to the house like Still did against Michigan has already "broke out." Still went from an unknown, late recruit out of El Paso to arguably our best deep threat last year and one of the top 2-3 receivers on our team right now. WRs that need a break out year are Holland Jr, Gentry, and Register.

I think Still has a breakout year, at WR.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

+1 Other than getting muscled a few times for the ball, I think he played very well. Good deep ball play. Hopefully a year in the weightroom will help.

I may be wrong but i don't think he was starting or getting as much playing time until our DTs starting dropping and
guys like Elmore and Stelter were moved over giving Hank a chance at DE, but having recently watched the OSU/Iowa
games, he was constantly after the QB, being held several times in that Iowa game...he could've had 3-4 sacks on
Beat-Hard..

Ekpe started eleven games.

I hear you Bob, but imo, anyone who takes a pass to the house like Still did against Michigan has already "broke out." Still went from an unknown, late recruit out of El Paso to arguably our best deep threat last year and one of the top 2-3 receivers on our team right now. WRs that need a break out year are Holland Jr, Gentry, and Register.
Still has to do it consistently to be considered break out

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom