ESPN: Bob Bowlsby to begin contacting schools to gauge interest in Big 12

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Looks like the next round of conference realignment is not too far off. Per ESPN:

The Big 12 has been a 10-team conference since 2012, after Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri left during the last major wave of realignment and TCU and West Virginia joined.

The conference has been batting around the idea of adding more members for more than a year and begins its search with plenty of suitors. The Big 12 has been getting pitches behind the scenes for months from American Athletic Conference schools such as Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, Houston and Central Florida. BYU, a football independent, has made it known it wants into a Power 5 conference. Colorado State has also reached out to Big 12 leaders.

"We've been contacted by a number of institutions, and I would imagine after this news breaks we'll be contacted again," Bowlsby said.

Big 12 leaders have acknowledged that none of the available schools is a natural fit. None is guaranteed to deliver both highly competitive teams -- especially football teams -- as well as large new markets to increase the value of future media deals.

"We are looking for members that will grow over time as we grow," Bowlsby said. "That bring stability. That have a high top end."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

Go Gophers!!

Looks like the next round of conference realignment is not too far off. Per ESPN:

The Big 12 has been a 10-team conference since 2012, after Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri left during the last major wave of realignment and TCU and West Virginia joined.

The conference has been batting around the idea of adding more members for more than a year and begins its search with plenty of suitors. The Big 12 has been getting pitches behind the scenes for months from American Athletic Conference schools such as Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, Houston and Central Florida. BYU, a football independent, has made it known it wants into a Power 5 conference. Colorado State has also reached out to Big 12 leaders.

"We've been contacted by a number of institutions, and I would imagine after this news breaks we'll be contacted again," Bowlsby said.

Big 12 leaders have acknowledged that none of the available schools is a natural fit. None is guaranteed to deliver both highly competitive teams -- especially football teams -- as well as large new markets to increase the value of future media deals.

"We are looking for members that will grow over time as we grow," Bowlsby said. "That bring stability. That have a high top end."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

Go Gophers!!

NDSU would be a shoe-in.

Give it to the Ramseys. They will have the new on campus football stadium at least they are relatively close to a few of the teams.

Go Gophers!!

It's unfortunate they don't have teams willing to join that are as good of a natural fit and competitive in football as the B1G did with Maryland and Rutgers...

I wonder if other Big 12 schools will get antsy if they add a couple more mediocre teams that will dilute conference earnings?

It's unfortunate they don't have teams willing to join that are as good of a natural fit and competitive in football as the B1G did with Maryland and Rutgers...

Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Central Florida is the one I find the most intriguing. There isn't that much of a SEC or ACC identity in this part of the state and would bring a boost of excitement for college football to not just the Orlando area but the Tampa Bay area as well. None of the three power 5 schools really dominate the area.

If I was the Big 12 Commissioner, I'd go and try to get BYU (independent) and Boise State (Mountain West). I'm assuming Notre Dame would be a waste of my time.

I wonder if other Big 12 schools will get antsy if they add a couple more mediocre teams that will dilute conference earnings?

Maryland and Rutgers has very little to do with Football ability and everything to do with television markets. More like an NFL team in Florida signing Tebow.

Central Florida is the one I find the most intriguing. There isn't that much of a SEC or ACC identity in this part of the state and would bring a boost of excitement for college football to not just the Orlando area but the Tampa Bay area as well. None of the three power 5 schools really dominate the area.

UCF is in Orlando and USF is in Tampa right?

All my friends that are insane NDSU fans* are going nuts. They think Its a done deal.

Nobody from the college has even said they want to move to FBS. The Fargodome seats 19,000 people.

* Insane NDSU fans (ALL NDSU fans are insane)

It will more than likely be Cincinnati and someone else. Maybe Memphis due to FedEXs apparent interest in sponsoring the Big XII championship game. The conference did announce that they could add a football only team which opens the door for BYU. That helps remove the obstacle of distance and the fact they don't play games on Sundays. Houston is doubtful because the other Texas schools wouldn't want to see what Tom Herman could do with a level playing field in recruiting. Whatever happens this doesn't secure the existence of the Big XII beyond 2025 when their media rights agreement expires.

All my friends that are insane NDSU fans* are going nuts. They think Its a done deal.

Nobody from the college has even said they want to move to FBS. The Fargodome seats 19,000 people.

* Insane NDSU fans (ALL NDSU fans are insane)

That is crazy.

They are king of their pond.

Why move into a bigger pond and become the little fish?

Also I recall some NDSU administration outright saying they're happy where they are.

That is crazy.

They are king of their pond.

Why move into a bigger pond and become the little fish?

Also I recall some NDSU administration outright saying they're happy where they are.

That's fine if that's their attitude, but then they can't get their little girl panties in a twist when they're accurately called puppies because they can't/won't run with the big dogs.

Depends on what you consider to be "natural fit". They are their state's State University. Their state is geographically contiguous with the other states in the B1G. They generate lots of TV viewers. The Big 12 will likely be unable to achieve any of those things.
54675_h.png

When you look at the map without the other states, the B1G adding Maryland and Rutgers doesn't seem so preposterous.

Depends on what you consider to be "natural fit". They are their state's State University. Their state is geographically contiguous with the other states in the B1G. <b>They generate lots of TV viewers. </b>The Big 12 will likely be unable to achieve any of those things.
54675_h.png

When you look at the map without the other states, the B1G adding Maryland and Rutgers doesn't seem so preposterous.

You had me until the bolded part. Rutgers generated 7 TV viewers at the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had me until the bolded part. Rutgers generated 7 TV viewers at the most.

Rutgers got NYC added as B1G region for tv sets. It doesn't matter who watches Rutgers, it matters who is in their region. Rutgers made the B1G a crap load of money.

In expanding its scholastic footprint, the Big Ten also increased the value of the BTN's New York and D.C. subscribers. According to SNL Kagan data, cable operators pay an estimated "in-market" rate of $1 per sub per month, more than double the $0.44 fees charged outside the conference's home markets. Cablevision alone serves 2.64 million video customers in New York, New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut; with the upgraded fee in place, BTN sees its annual payout from the operator rise to around $31.7 million from $13.9 million

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...t-ohio-state-big-ten-network-maryland-rutgers

Go Gophers!!

They can have Penn State as far as I feel.

Depends on what you consider to be "natural fit". They are their state's State University. Their state is geographically contiguous with the other states in the B1G. They generate lots of TV viewers. The Big 12 will likely be unable to achieve any of those things.
54675_h.png

Yea but Nebraska looks so damn odd to me

That's fine if that's their attitude, but then they can't get their little girl panties in a twist when they're accurately called puppies because they can't/won't run with the big dogs.

Don't mock them. They'd be in the NFL already, except the league won't let them in because they think the Bison winning the Super Bowl every year would be bad for ratings.

Top Bottom