STrib: From court to kitchen: Rochester's Hurt brothers hunger for basketball success

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

The 6-7, 190-pound teenager lumbers through the door at Grandma’s house looking for food, just as he does most days.

It’s 2:15 p.m., time for one of Gophers freshman Michael Hurt’s eight meals.

By the time this May Monday is through, he’ll stuff down 7,500 calories. For now, it’s just a few hundred served up by Gail Brennan, Hurt’s maternal grandmother. Some days, Hurt and his younger brother, Matthew, will be treated to macaroni and cheese, or pasta with meatballs. Today, it’s a quick fix for the senior at Rochester John Marshall: a hot bowl of SpaghettiOs.

Hurt pours a glass of milk — the Hurts regularly go through 10 gallons of milk a week — and asks for the can. He needs to enter the calories into an iPhone app that helps him track his diet necessary to put on weight, gain strength and offset long days full of workouts.

These days, more than two months later, Hurt is on University of Minnesota’s campus, enveloped in summer training with the rest of the basketball team.

But back in early May, the impetus behind Hurt’s strict routine is himself — with strong support from parents, siblings and grandparents — in his pursuit of a lifelong dream: being a Gopher.

http://www.startribune.com/from-cou...hers-hunger-for-basketball-success/387547501/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The Gophers&#146; hope is that they can facilitate an on-court reunion when Matthew is eligible just more than two years from now. Michael already is recruiting him. &#147;He would change things,&#148; Michael says. Matthew absent-mindedly pops a few potato chips in his mouth. &#147;We&#146;ll see,&#148; he says, smiling slightly. &#147;It&#146;s a good possibility.&#148;

Doesn't Matthew have 3 years left? I thought he was only a freshman last year

Doesn't Matthew have 3 years left? I thought he was only a freshman last year

Yep. The "only 1 year they'd be able to play with each other" idea is a little too stressed though, because on the track he's going I can't see Matthew staying in college beyond a year or two. He projects as more of an NBA type guy than Tyus did (as he finished up a great SL) just because his rare combination of height, shooting, and athleticism. 6'9/6'10 guys who shoot the ball well, have athleticism, and understand the game are taylor made fits to move on to the NBA and be successful once they get there.

7,500 calories a day. If I was on that diet, I would look like Jabba the Hutt. Oh, to be young and fit with a healthy metabolism.....

7,500 calories a day. If I was on that diet, I would look like Jabba the Hutt. Oh, to be young and fit with a healthy metabolism.....

No kidding. All that milk they drink and the spaghettios, jeesh! Don't think Michael will be on that diet much longer tho. He only has about 10 pounds to go till coaches will be completely satisfied with where he's at.

No kidding. All that milk they drink and the spaghettios, jeesh! Don't think Michael will be on that diet much longer tho. He only has about 10 pounds to go till coaches will be completely satisfied with where he's at.
So I'm curious, how much does he weigh now?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom