ESPN: Minnesota's 'All-Century' team: Best lineup since 2000

Maybe not much better but I would give a slight edge to Triplett and it has nothing to do with a perception of Campbell's alleged boneheaded plays. Many on this board know that I have been one of if not his biggest defenders, he was always one of my favorite players and will be the gopher I will be following the closest out of the last two draft classes. I just think Triplett's year was just a bit better.

Not sure about the Cordarrelle Patterson comparison either. Justin Hunter had 300 more receiving yards than Patterson and Tennessee went 5-7 that year.

Whats your point? All I'm arguing is that Patterson, despite having only played one year, was a great college football player and that he is perhaps considered greater, or at least should be considered greater, than many other guys that played more years and had greater total production over a longer span.

Maybe not much better but I would give a slight edge to Triplett and it has nothing to do with a perception of Campbell's alleged boneheaded plays. Many on this board know that I have been one of if not his biggest defenders, he was always one of my favorite players and will be the gopher I will be following the closest out of the last two draft classes. I just think Triplett's year was just a bit better.

Whats your point? All I'm arguing is that Patterson, despite having only played one year, was a great college football player and that he is perhaps considered greater, or at least should be considered greater, than many other guys that played more years and had greater total production over a longer span.

Fair enough. When I think of 'great college football players' I don't think of the 2nd best receiver on a 5-7 team. Patterson had a good year and showed flashes of his great potential. Similar to his NFL career.

I think when you look at the stats objectively, Campbell has the edge. That wasn't my first reaction though. I think many of us are having a hard time getting past all the bonehead-type plays that Campbell made (running himself completely out of position, etc.). And who can forget this play by Triplett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgLi30NIiPc

Awesome play and I'll never forget that one. I loved this play at 40 seconds in though just as much! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEg_PgCaMfU

I believe Pattson also had more total yards than Hunter too and possibly more TD's although I could be wrong.

Top Bottom