Recruiting slow down.....

Reaction score
I don't get Minnesota Rivals, but I have a friend on the sight and I guess there is a bit of a recruiting
melt down with one topic being " Kill vs Claeys. I do see that top DL Juan Harris is in for a visit next week. TC in Sons report on Sid said he doesn't pressure kids to commit. I'm not so sure that recruiting is down from last year because we had a strong instate class last year versus this year. Unless we have a fall off on the National level the only other instate kid I see us inking is Noah Gindorff, the TE. from Crosby-Ironton who has several mid-major offers. It just looks like we're not getting a lot of mid-summer visits, so hopefully that means the coaches are working on game weekends. What do you guys think?

Claeys said they expected to take 17-18 for the class. On the sports huddle the other day he said he wanted 8-12 commits before the first game, we currently have seven. I am not to worried yet

I don't get Minnesota Rivals, but I have a friend on the sight and I guess there is a bit of a recruiting melt down with one topic being " Kill vs Claeys. I do see that top DL Juan Harris is in for a visit next week. TC in Sons report on Sid said he doesn't pressure kids to commit. I'm not so sure that recruiting is down from last year because we had a strong instate class last year versus this year. Unless we have a fall off on the National level the only other instate kid I see us inking is Noah Gindorff, the TE. from Crosby-Ironton who has several mid-major offers.

There could be several more in state offers based on the recently completed camp...lots of talk about several guys. Plus there are a couple in state guys who were injured for camp, either limited or couldn't participate, who could earn offers once the season starts.

There's a lot going on. I'll bet we have 10 commitments by the end of August. And overall I'll bet we end up with 7-8 in state kids (plus one we offered who turned us down, Wilson), which is solid for an in state class initially believed to be not that strong.

Personally, I think that TC is still an unknown to many out of state kids and I think many are in a wait and see phase with him (and his revamped offense). Give it time.

In-state talent is down this year. Efforts are more focused outside the state I'm sure. Those kids think longer before committing to Minne"snow"ta!

I also wouldn't say instate talent is down this year, I would say it's typical, last year we had what 17 kids commit to power five programs, that's just not going to be the norm. So far we have five and a sixth who chose Harvard (can't blame him) There have been some years where the well wound up being even dryer

Kill and Claeys came to the BIG with a staff including them that had minimal experience or the contacts necessary for recruiting at the BIG level.
Then add the disruption of Kill's all too public illness and no matter what the recruiting sites say the conference W/L results have not been stellar.
If the program can have some stability recruiting and results might improve.

Kill and Claeys came to the BIG with a staff including them that had minimal experience or the contacts necessary for recruiting at the BIG level.
Then add the disruption of Kill's all too public illness and no matter what the recruiting sites say the conference W/L results have not been stellar.
All good points. This staff does have a rep for doing things the right way, which helps with HS coaches. A lot of the guys bitching about recruiting are star gazers who think kids can't play if they don't have 4 stars from rivals. They wouldn't be happy with Iowa or Wisconsin's classes just based on the ratings if they had not been winning.
We'll know we have improved recruiting when we get guys we want on the o and d lines that committed before the middle of January. As long as we are taking last minute lineman recruits we still have a ways to go. Even a lot of that is because of our history of offering late.

I don't get Minnesota Rivals, but I have a friend on the sight and I guess there is a bit of a recruiting
melt down with one topic being " Kill vs Claeys. I do see that top DL Juan Harris is in for a visit next week. TC in Sons report on Sid said he doesn't pressure kids to commit. I'm not so sure that recruiting is down from last year because we had a strong instate class last year versus this year. Unless we have a fall off on the National level the only other instate kid I see us inking is Noah Gindorff, the TE. from Crosby-Ironton who has several mid-major offers. It just looks like we're not getting a lot of mid-summer visits, so hopefully that means the coaches are working on game weekends. What do you guys think?
At least a few other instate guys besides Noah Gindorff have a chance at getting offers. A couple DE's were pretty solid in camp and have good measurables in Boye Mafe from Hopkins and Jermaine Johnson from Eden Prairie. The other one is Ezekiel Ott from Caledonia who camped last year and was very good and had a strong start to his season last year before a season ending injury. Sounds like with all 4 of these guys they will want to see some film from the first few games of their SR year before an offer would go out.
There are a few other guys who have visited this summer that plan to commit before their senior season. Harris could decide soon after a visit. OL Brett Kitrell from Nebraska said after his visit he plans to commit before his season and DT Josh Croslen who visited for the BBQ also is planning to commit before his season gets started.

What does this even mean?

They had years of evaluating talent and making contact with high school coaches. That really is recruiting. Not surprisingly, they did a heck of a job recruiting (for MN).

As far as W/L, yeah, we had a down year last year. The year before we also went to our first Jan 1 bowl game in decades. So for MN, their W/L has been stellar. There is no way to get around that.

This is the first year we haven't had stability.

All in all, another very weird post from you.

Kill's departure has to impact recruiting. People seemed to like him. We talked about the significance of having Kill while he was here, we'd be lying if we now said that it didn't matter.

It matters.

So what is the conference W/l record in the Kill/Clayes era?

This staff has produced five draft picks the past two years. They are doing something right. Also we have everyone we have offered in state except Wilson who chose the Ivy League and academics over football.

I asked for conference W/L over the whole Kill, Clayes era not just 2014.
This is a recruiting topic and failure or success in the BIG over time depends on recruiting skilled depth and coaching.
It is a violent game and injuries are a constant. So depth is very important.
So what is the BIG W/L over the KC era?

I think recruiting is doing fine. For a class of 17, I think this is exactly where we want to be.

What is the longest GH has gone without a new "we are failing at recruiting" thread being started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conference win-loss records:
Kill-Claeys: 15-25 .375
Brewster 6-21 .222
Mason 32-48 .400
Wacker 8-32 .200
Gutekunst 18-28-2 .396
Holtz 7-10 .412
Stoll 27-29 .482
Warmath 65-57-4 .532

Quick reading of record book shows 4 coaches with .500 or better in conference: Warmath, Bierman, Spears and Williams.

And, just for fun: If Gophs go 5-4 in conf this year, the Kill-Claeys era goes to 20-29 .408. If the Gophs go 6-3 in the conf, total record is 21-28 .429. Either would be higher than Mase's B1G winning pct.

This is a recruiting topic and failure or success in the BIG over time depends on recruiting skilled depth and coaching.

I like your way of thinking, let's hire top notch recruiter as HC and make sure he has veteran coordinators to make up for his lack of experience

Oh and never recruit JUCO huge mistake

I like your way of thinking, let's hire top notch recruiter as HC and make sure he has veteran coordinators to make up for his lack of experience

What could possibly go wrong???

Interesting that you chose to lump Kill/Claeys together but not Brewster/Horton. The Brewster/Horton record would be 8-24 (.250). Regardless every conference record is pitiful until you get to Stoll and that's certainly nothing to write home about either.

As for recruiting, I think the jury is very much out. Claeys has a short term contract with a minimal buyout and the program is coming off a poor season. That's not the recipe to get on a lot of top kids short lists. Every coach who inherits a down program has to do one of two things: win with perceived lesser talent which then attracts a more coveted group of recruits or win recruiting battles with perceived less to sell and then win on the field. It's been done at Iowa, it's been done at Wisconsin, it's been done at Northwestern, it's been done at Baylor, it's been done at TCU, it's been done at Oregon, so it's not like it is some impossible chore.

Hopefully Claeys is the guy to do it at Minnesota.

And I told you they are right up there with Mason and Gutey overall. Maybe do some of your own research and then you can see for yourself that you are wrong.

If you followed the team as I often write on the tip line for bad service "Do the ****in Math"

The trend during the Kill/Claeys era was upward, until last year. Last year was disappointing, for sure. But isn't this what you want?

Conference wins:
2011 2
2012 2
2013 4
2014 5
2015 2

The trend during the Kill/Claeys era was upward, until last year. Last year was disappointing, for sure. But isn't this what you want?

Conference wins:
2011 2
2012 2
2013 4
2014 5
2015 2

It is not unheard of for a rebuilding program to take a step back in win total. Dantonio got MSU to 9 wins dropped back to 6 then won 32 games in 3 seasons before falling back to 6 wins before their most recent success. The glorious badgers under St Barry took 4 season to having a winning season then 2 seasons later he turned in 4 wins before Ron Dayne showed up. After Dayne St Barry turned in a 5-7, 5-6, and 7-6 season before finishing off with a 9 and 10 win seasons. Both those teams along with Ohio St have dominated the B1G in the teens. The point is it takes a lot more than a couple good seasons to move up in the pecking order in the conference.

Maybe we need to follow the pattern of both Alabama and Auburn. Hire recruiting coordinators from other schools. I believe on both staffs are at least 4 to 5 staff members who were coordinators at other schools. Might not be the best on field teachers but getting all the top recruits makes teaching techniques a little easier. But that means big money, dropping staff loyalty, etc..

Top Bottom