Preseason prediction: Gophers 5th in B1G West

hungan1

Reaction score
According to Alex Gleitman of 247Sports. the GOphers will finish fifth in B1G West.

B1G West:
Iowa 10-2 (7-2)
Nebraska 9-3 (6-3)
Northwestern 8-4 (5-4)
Wisconsin 6-6 (4-5)
Minnesota 5-7 (3-6)
Illinois 4-8 (2-7)
Purdue 2-10 (0-9)

2016 Season Breakdown for Minnesota:
Oregon State L
Indiana State W
Colorado State W
@Penn State L
Iowa L
@Maryland L
Rutgers W
@Illinois L
Purdue W
@Nebraska L
Northwestern W
@Wisconsin L

http://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Predicting-how-all-14-Big-Ten-teams-will-do-in-the-2016-season-46264964/"]http://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Predicting-how-all-14-Big-Ten-teams-will-do-in-the-2016-season-46264964/[/URL]

Well - that would suck. His game-by-game predictions seem pretty random, though...not sure why he thinks we would drop the opener to OSU and @Maryland and then come back to beat everybody's darling jNW.

Is this a worst case scenerio? I think we'd have to have some serious injuries for this to happen. That, or the defense takes several steps back and the O can't get it together.

If the team loses to the Beavers and Ill, Claeys tenure here will be short-lived.

Not disagreeing with you - but I'd be more concerned with the Maryland loss than Illinois. I think Illinois will be decent (still should be a somewhat easy W for us, though).

I feel like this is a worst case scenario and not likely to happen. Post this on the bulletin board and prove them wrong!

Well, at least we win the majority of the Home games.

But seriously, that prediction looks like he just drew the Wins out of a hat randomly.

Them idiots writing them articles must be drunk...I'll go on record to say Cleays will take us to the promised land

Should our OL and DL not underachieve I don't see a loss on that schedule. Al least not this morning. :)

I think the 9 win mark is realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if the Beaves are much better this year though.

If we aren't 12-0 I will be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not disagreeing with you - but I'd be more concerned with the Maryland loss than Illinois. I think Illinois will be decent (still should be a somewhat easy W for us, though).

I think Maryland has recruited better talent and are less of a known quantity than Ill. Going there will give the Gophers a bigger challenge IMO. Not saying the game isn't that winnable, but wouldn't be shocked if that's a loss either.

I predict Bill Connelly will have us winning around 6 games with 2 standard deviations of 2.5 games up or down. In his NW preview he said since 2005 only 15 teams have exceeded 2 SD from his predicted win totals. Of course we could have a special season which is part of the excitement. Our profile should be up on footballstudyhall.com this coming week.

According to Alex Gleitman of 247Sports. the GOphers will finish fifth in B1G West.

B1G West:
Iowa 10-2 (7-2)
Nebraska 9-3 (6-3)
Northwestern 8-4 (5-4)
Wisconsin 6-6 (4-5)
Minnesota 5-7 (3-6)
Illinois 4-8 (2-7)
Purdue 2-10 (0-9)

Oregon State L
Indiana State W
Colorado State W
@Penn State L
Iowa L
@Maryland L
Rutgers W
@Illinois L
Purdue W
@Nebraska L
Northwestern W
@Wisconsin L

http://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Predicting-how-all-14-Big-Ten-teams-will-do-in-the-2016-season-46264964/"]http://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Predicting-how-all-14-Big-Ten-teams-will-do-in-the-2016-season-46264964/[/URL]

Guarantee zero thought was put into this...got us losing every away game.

I think Maryland has recruited better talent and are less of a known quantity than Ill. Going there will give the Gophers a bigger challenge IMO. Not saying the game isn't that winnable, but wouldn't be shocked if that's a loss either.

You may have a point - I just think that if Illinois and Maryland played on a neutral field this year that Illinois would win more often than lose. We have never traveled to Maryland (that I know of) so maybe it will turn out to be a weird scenario that we don't perform well, but I think Illinois has more proven talent - especially at QB. But, I don't think you and I are that far off in our statements...we should win both games. Cheers!

Hoping for special season, expecting a 7 win season.

another year of leidner

there is always the chance that the guy watched some 2015 highlights of a 5 win season.

I actually find you hysterical. Thank you. It doesn't mean I agree with you, but it's good.

Who's the guy on here that has the OSU scoop? BeaverGopher maybe? I'm looking forward to him giving us some Beave updates soon.

Here is my prediction:

Oregon State W
Indiana State W
Colorado State W
@Penn State L
Iowa L
@Maryland W
Rutgers W
@Illinois W
Purdue W
@Nebraska L
Northwestern W
@Wisconsin L

This is a bare minimum for an 8-4 record with a 5-4 record in conference. I'd give us a 50/50 chance of beating Penn St. and Iowa at home and a 40/60 shot at Nebraska and Wisconsin.

This is an on paper projection and can be greatly diminished by injuries.

Here is my prediction:

Oregon State W
Indiana State W
Colorado State W
@Penn State L
Iowa L
@Maryland W
Rutgers W
@Illinois W
Purdue W
@Nebraska L
Northwestern W
@Wisconsin L

This is a bare minimum for an 8-4 record with a 5-4 record in conference. I'd give us a 50/50 chance of beating Penn St. and Iowa at home and a 40/60 shot at Nebraska and Wisconsin.

This is an on paper projection and can be greatly diminished by injuries.
Or improved by our non-conference performance?

He picked a record first (same record as last year, because that's what everyone always does with the Gophers) and then tried to pick W/Ls to make that record make sense.

Iowa will not be near 10-2. The west will come down to the last week with us right in it.

I've got to look it up, as I don't have the issue with me right now, but Phil Steele's preseason mag has the Gophers with the highest percent chance of having a better record over last season of all the teams in D1 football.

EDIT: It's a 79.8% chance of a better record, with their schedule last year being the #8th most difficult. This year's schedule is ranked #75th. That, and the fact that they were clearly a much more competitive team from Halloween on, is why people are optimistic about improving on last year's record.

Top Bottom