Shama: Claeys to Wait on Gopher QB2 Decision; One QB Will Redshirt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Everyone knows redshirt senior Mitch Leidner will be the Gophers’ starting quarterback this season, but even head coach Tracy Claeys can’t say who will be No. 2.

Sophomore Demry Croft played in three games as a reserve behind Leidner last season. During the spring Leidner didn’t participate in practices because of foot surgery but neither Croft nor freshman Seth Green (he enrolled at Minnesota in January) separated themselves as the No. 1 backup. Nor did redshirt junior and former walk-on Conor Rhoda, who played briefly in two games during the 2014 season.

Claeys said having 14 days of spring practices wasn’t enough to determine his second unit quarterback. He predicted that about 10 days prior to Minnesota’s opening game the coaching staff will settle on a backup to Leidner.

The Gophers begin formal practices in early August and play Oregon State at home on September 1. Regarding Croft and Green, Claeys said one of them is headed toward a redshirt season.

“There’s no question,” Claeys told Sports Headliners. “One of them will end up being redshirted—however it works out.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I don't know how to feel about that. I'd prefer one guy to be the heir-apparent but obviously some major growing pains with these two. Maybe Johnson's guy Williams will come in and shake things up.

Gotta think Green redshirts.

"It looks like former Gopher Philip Nelson will be the starting quarterback for East Carolina. Nelson is a senior and will play for first-year coach Scottie Montgomery."

Wait what? They pulled Crofts redshirt. How can they redshirt him again??

It's Not Something You Can't Undo

The decision is made for the intent to redshirt someone. If they need him to play they have the flexibility to do that. By playing he doesn't forfeit the right to redshirt in a future year.
It only becomes a redshirt year if at the end of the season the player has not participated in a game.

He played in games last year and hasn't used a redshirt yet. Redshirt years don't have to be a player's first year on the team.

Hopefully Leidner has an injury free season and they can all redshirt.

It's going to be a three QB race for starter next year.

Will it be RS SO, SO, RS FR or

JR, RS FR, RS FR or will bad play/injuries cause JR, SO, RS FR?

This could very well be a moving target all season.

I don't think Rhoda will ever be able to be more than just a stop gap (can play a few plays here and there). If something happens to Leidner, that is when this will really be tested.

I don't think this is a situation where Croft has the inside edge because he's a SO. Regardless of if Green takes a RS or Croft takes an RS, either we will have two QBs in the same class. RSs aren't given out till the end of the year, and I think there is a decent chance that neither Green nor Croft end up taking a RS this season.

He's just saying there are three scenarios. . .

Croft takes a RS

2017 - Croft (RS SO), Green (SO) and Williams (RS FR)

Green takes a RS

2017 - Croft (JR), Green (RS FR), and Williams (RS FR)

Neither Green nor Croft are able to RS

2017 - Croft (JR), Green (SO), Williams (RS FR)

Hopefully Leidner has an injury free season and they can all redshirt.

Agreed - but even if Mitch takes every snap, a decision within the staff will probably have to take place with the way they structure practices and whatnot. Also, let's say for the sake of this example that the coaches see Green as the best of the rest, they may want him to get SOME action this year if (fingers crossed) we have a huge lead to both preserve Leidner and prepare for an injury later in the year. (this is not an endorsement to burn Green's redshirt - just an example)

I'd prefer we have some blowouts and play QB2 in those games. I don't want ML7 getting hurt in week 10 and we have to bring in either one with no snaps on the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just saying there are three scenarios. . .

Croft takes a RS

2017 - Croft (RS SO), Green (SO) and Williams (RS FR)

Green takes a RS

2017 - Croft (JR), Green (RS FR), and Williams (RS FR)

Neither Green nor Croft are able to RS

2017 - Croft (JR), Green (SO), Williams (RS FR)

Thanks for the translation. I am tempted to go back and read the post again to see why it was giving an Excedrin headache but I am afraid of getting a second Excedrin Headache. :confused:

Thanks for the translation. I am tempted to go back and read the post again to see why it was giving an Excedrin headache but I am afraid of getting a second Excedrin Headache. :confused:

My apologies. My college friends even named a new language after me.

My apologies. My college friends even named a new language after me.

No problem. I just hope the language that your college friends named after you wasn't called "Sid".:rolleyes:

This could very well be a moving target all season.

I don't think Rhoda will ever be able to be more than just a stop gap (can play a few plays here and there). If something happens to Leidner, that is when this will really be tested.

I don't think this is a situation where Croft has the inside edge because he's a SO. Regardless of if Green takes a RS or Croft takes an RS, either we will have two QBs in the same class. RSs aren't given out till the end of the year, and I think there is a decent chance that neither Green nor Croft end up taking a RS this season.

They gave Rhoda a scholarship. They must see some value in his presence. On any given Saturday, you never know what might happen.

Wouldn't best case scenario be they redshirt both Croft and Green, and Rhoda takes over in mop up time only as Mitch never gets hurt? Unless we are blowing a bunch of people out this year (which I don't see happening) how much time will QB2 get? Barring a significant injury to Mitch, I'd rather just have Rhoda be the number 2, and let both Croft and Green develop more.

Wouldn't best case scenario be they redshirt both Croft and Green, and Rhoda takes over in mop up time only as Mitch never gets hurt? Unless we are blowing a bunch of people out this year (which I don't see happening) how much time will QB2 get? Barring a significant injury to Mitch, I'd rather just have Rhoda be the number 2, and let both Croft and Green develop more.

This-^

They gave Rhoda a scholarship. They must see some value in his presence. On any given Saturday, you never know what might happen.

+1 I agree. Wouldn't doubt If he would be used in a limited role as a change of pace guy.

Now going off topic.

He's back!

I know I have been on various forms of the Gopherhole too long. I just thought about a post years ago. Didn't you have a daughter with a knee problem? Growth/ athletics related? Don't know why I thought of that.

Maybe because I was thinking of posters from long ago. Darren the Greek, the Loon, Oldtimer(assuming he is no longer with us) Rog(I think I see posts from him infrequently).

I'd prefer we have some blowouts and play QB2 in those games. I don't want ML7 getting hurt in week 10 and we have to bring in either one with no snaps on the year.

Same. As much as I'd like to redshirt all the backup QBs, I'd rather we get Mitch out of the game for some games and keep him healthy as much as possible.

1st priority is now, keep the starter healthy.

Worry about the other guys later, if it works out and they end up with a red shirt, yay.

Totally agree. This would mean a big season all around.

+1 I agree. Wouldn't doubt If he would be used in a limited role as a change of pace guy.

Now going off topic.

He's back!

I know I have been on various forms of the Gopherhole too long. I just thought about a post years ago. Didn't you have a daughter with a knee problem? Growth/ athletics related? Don't know why I thought of that.

Maybe because I was thinking of posters from long ago. Darren the Greek, the Loon, Oldtimer(assuming he is no longer with us) Rog(I think I see posts from him infrequently).
So, the deal is no one in my family has ever had knee problems. In fact, not that it matters, but I am always reluctant to say much about my family members because one never knows what kind of evil lurks within the hearts of certain posters who may try to make up false stories about children and family members. I only have the honor of raising sons. Lol, you must have short

Mitch starts In blow out games get croft downs. Make sure croft gets good reps and experience all year. Red shirt Green and let Croft and Green battle it out for the starting job next season.

Mitch starts In blow out games get croft downs. Make sure croft gets good reps and experience all year. Red shirt Green and let Croft and Green battle it out for the starting job next season.

Agree, of course it would be nice to give him a red shirt year, but we need a backup.

As we progress with the new OC system we will be bringing in a good recruit or two every year. They can go through the ideal progression. We have to be confident that we will have an up coming QB that can play in what would have been Croft's fifth year.

So, the deal is no one in my family has ever had knee problems. In fact, not that it matters, but I am always reluctant to say much about my family members because one never knows what kind of evil lurks within the hearts of certain posters who may try to make up false stories about children and family members. I only have the honor of raising sons. Lol, you must have short

I have not heard from Loon in a long long time. Hope you are both doing well.

I have not heard from Loon in a long long time. Hope you are both doing well.

Hello 6 Nov1999! I saw Loon & Mrs. Loon at a game last year. They are well, I think. We are doing well too. We moved from winona to Rochester a few years ago. Hope you and all of yours are fine.

I don't stop by this site too often. For what ever reasons, my computer just doesn't navigate this site well. It tends to freeze up and I get messages about long scripts and my computer acts as if it has a virus or something. Typing is next to impossible. This is the only site I really ever
have trouble with. It has taken me 5 minutes to type this much. Either my computer doesn't like trying to access this site because my trusty old computer and I were restricted from access a few times or the wonders of modern technology have found a way to restrict my long posts by making it next to impossible for my old computer to function well here. (Just kidding, I guess, but it really is pretty much impossible for me to post here with all the trouble I have with my computer on this site.)

I'll stop by once in a while to see if you are posting...IF I can get my computer to function here.

Take care my friend!

wren

SKI-u-MAH! Beat the stinking badger, Gopher!

Top Bottom