Q&A: Cretin Big Man Daniel Oturu Receives Gophers Offer, Talks Recruiting

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Cretin Big Man Daniel Oturu Receives Gophers Offer, Talks Recruiting
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/669488?referrer_id=

Daniel Oturu, a 6-foot-9 rising junior center from St. Paul (MN) Cretin-Derham Hall, is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number four prospect from Minnesota in the class. Oturu received a scholarship offer from Minnesota and played with the Raiders recently at the Minnesota Golden Gopher team camp.

Oturu averaged 16.7 points, 14.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.9 steals and 6.0 blocked shots per game this past year for the Raiders, who finished 15-13. He scored in double figures in 27 of 28 games with eight games of 20 or more points, including a season-best 27 points versus Stillwater. Oturu grabbed double figure rebounds in all but two games.

Gopher Hole caught up with Oturu to talk about the latest on his recruitment. (Note this interview took place before the Gopher offer)

Gopher Hole: I know that you were in St. Louis the other week for the Nike Elite Top 100 Camp with the top players from the Class of 2018 and 2019. What was that experience like?

Daniel Oturu: The experience, it was really good. I got to play against a lot of top level competition. It got me a lot better and I learned from a couple of the best coaches in the country right now. Taught me fundamentals and got me better. Overall good experience.

Gopher Hole: You and Pulley teammate Gabe Kalscheur were both down there. Was it nice to have a familiar face down there?

Daniel Oturu: It was good because I had someone who was in the same situation as me and we are all trying to get better. He was my roommate, so him going was good for me.

Gopher Hole: You had a chance to go against other big men, because to be honest, a lot of high school teams might not have a big guy for you to go against. Do you think that really helps you going against other players your size or even bigger who are just as stronger or even stronger than you?

Daniel Oturu: It helps, because now I know what I need to do when I am playing against someone who is even taller or bigger than me. I also know how to take more advantage of smaller defenders who are guarding me in the low post or on the perimeter, so playing against big men, people who are a little bit bigger than me helps a lot. .

Gopher Hole: What things are you really working on to improve yourself as a basketball player?

Daniel Oturu: I just want to be a better leader and communicate a lot more and lead my teammates. I feel that every aspect of my game needs to be worked on, so I'll do whatever I can to get better every day.

Gopher Hole: I know that last week was the first week the college coaches could call you directly. What schools did you hear from?

Daniel Oturu: I heard from good schools. I heard from Oregon State. I heard from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas and Northwestern.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you want to work even harder to hear from more schools?

Daniel Oturu: Yes. It makes me want to work harder because know that I know that I am known and colleges are looking at me, I just want to get better and show them that they are making the right choice by recruiting me.

Gopher Hole: You are playing for the Howard Pulley team and are off to a great start. How pleased are you with how well the team has been playing together?

Daniel Oturu: We have been playing together all spring and summer and it has been really good. We have had a hell of a season in the EYBL, finished 14-2 and we are all just trying to work as hard as we can to try to win Peach Jam. That is a goal that we definitely know is capable of happening and we are all working hard to try to get better every day.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is relatively new in the recruiting process, but do you like the recruiting process so far?

Daniel Oturu: It is cool, talking to coaches that I really never thought that I would get a chance to talk to before. It is a dream come true, just knowing that these schools are looking at me and they want me to come to their schools. It is a dream to play Division I basketball.

Gopher Hole: Do you see how it could get a little bit tiring at times?

Daniel Oturu: Sometimes, I see that.

Gopher Hole: What about Cretin? You have some new faces. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Daniel Oturu: Obviously, to win the state tournament. That is definitely our main goal and we have a couple of new players on the court to help us get there. We fell short last year, but we are all hungry and determined to get where we want to be.

Gopher Hole: You have a new point guard, Ryan Larson, (who led Braham to a Class AA state title) who you know from Howard Pulley. Does that help that relationship that you already know him a little bit?

Daniel Oturu: Yes, it does, because I played with him for two years and playing with him again, feels good and knowing that we have that chemistry. That helps a lot. That helps the team.

Gopher Hole: What is he going to add to the team?

Daniel Oturu: A lot. We are going to have better guards. Our guard game is going to be strong and he is going to add scoring and just playing defense. He is a good defender and is going to get everyone better.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play Division I basketball?

Daniel Oturu: It would mean everything to me. It would mean everything to me and my family. That is what we are all rooting for me to get there.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still early, but do you have any offer yet?

Daniel Oturu: I have one so far. Northern Iowa

Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota is looking at you. What are they saying to you so far?

Daniel Oturu: They like me. They are excited about me and I am excited about them, too. I love the University of Minnesota, but I am just keeping my options open.

Gopher Hole: What would it maybe mean to have the opportunity to play for the home state school?

Daniel Oturu: It would mean a lot, playing in front of people that know you and I just want to put on for my city and state.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a basketball player?

Daniel Oturu: I feel that my strongest game is down low and more of the mid range area. I can take a smaller defender down low and I can also work some of my size to the rim.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have gotten a little bigger since the high school season. What are you up to height and weight-wise?

Daniel Oturu: I think that I about 6-9 and 205.

Gopher Hole: What were you during the season?

Daniel Oturu: About 6-7, 6-8 and about 190.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the doctors about how tall you might grow to be?

Daniel Oturu: I think that I might grow a little bit more. Some doctors told me that I might stop growing at 6-11. Hopefully, I get that.

Gopher Hole: When you were in St. Louis, they measured your wing span at 7-foot-2. Obviously, one of your strengths is not only your ability to block shots, but also alter shots. Is that something that you take pride in?

Daniel Oturu: Yes. That is something that I take pride in. Just protecting the house is the big thing. There is no layups. No easy layups, so if one of the guards gets beat, I've got to be there to help defend.

that's quite the wing span!

Top Bottom