What is the greatest Gopher game you ever attended?

Stan

Reaction score
Rand has an interesting blog on the STrib site about the greatest sporting event you've attended live. What is your greatest Gopher basketball game you attended live?

For me it was the win over Indiana at home in 1997. We had the Big Ten title clinched, but that was the icing on the cake and then the party afterwards. The runner up would be the Grier domination against wisconsin. Epic performance against a rival.

Anywhere, Gophers over Clemson in Midwest Regional semis in San Antonio.

At Williams Arena, Gophers over Iowa in 3OT in 1994. Voshon Lenard and Jess Settles were fantastic that night.

Grier against the Badgers was probably my favorite. Win over Indiana in 2013 is close 2nd. Wish I could have been there for Hoffarber's winner over Indiana in the 2008 Big Ten tourney

Grier vs WI my freshman year. Beating WI at Kohl Center in over time was fun too (was in a suite with all Badger fans).

Win over Indiana in 2013, Williams played above his potential, pure joy to watch.

That win over Indiana that Stan spoke of was pretty nice.

As much as I prefer a competitive game, the 50 pt win over Indiana and Bobby Knight was rather enjoyable.

Still might have to go with my first game ever though. 1964 vs Illinois, I was a 9th grader. Lou Hudson, Archie Clark and Don Yates were all first year players.....I was totaly mesmerized.

Tie between the sweet 16 and the elite 8 in 1997 I was only nine years old, but I remember it like it was yesterday and I can still name the rotation of that team.
In the Barn the first game my dad took me too was against the Fab Five when they were freshman, although I was three so I don't remember it, but he says I was there. Games at the barn I was there for, Indiana win in 2000, Pryz went out in style. Purdue in 2011, Sparty in 2013, OSU and Wisconsin in 2014. It was a loss but Cincinnati in the 98-99 season was a good game. Iowa and Wisconsin in 97 were good wins too. My list kinda symbolizes the millennial fan, some great times early on, but lately I am sure my list comes up lame compared to most of yours.

Gophers over Syracuse 1990 to go to the Elite Eight!

Drove three hours from Pensacola, FL and Navy Flight School to see the game.

At Williams, Iron 5 defeating #10 Iowa with 5 scholarship players and a walk-on.

Grier against the Badgers was probably my favorite. Win over Indiana in 2013 is close 2nd. Wish I could have been there for Hoffarber's winner over Indiana in the 2008 Big Ten tourney

+1 for Greir game. outstanding games

Ever...1997 Sweet 16 vs. Clemson. That's 3rd all-time for me behind Games 7 and 6 (respectively) of the '91 World Series.

At The Barn: 1989 vs. the #1 and undefeated Flying Illini. The place was insane and the boys had their first real statement win of the Haskins era. So much fun to be there in person.

At The Barn: 1989 vs. the #1 and undefeated Flying Illini. The place was insane and the boys had their first real statement win of the Haskins era. So much fun to be there in person.

January 26th. It was my buddy's birthday and we had a group in the lower corner. Awesome night. #1 on my list.

I have been to just about every home and post-season game from the 2012-13 season though the 2014-15 season, other than Pitino's NIT Final Four and championship games, but almost no other games.

Favorites would probably be 2013 win over #1 Indiana, 2013 Wisconsin in overtime on Valentine's Day as I recall, and 2014 beating the Final Four bound Badgers after Gasser injured Hollins on the first play of the game. I don't think we ever trailed. Austin Hollins hitting a big three late to beat Iowa in 2013. The atmosphere was electric at the game after that, and then I came home and checked gopherhole to find people bitching that we should have lost and fire Tubby yadda yadda. Then I think it was 2014 against Iowa, the one we won like 95-91 or something ridiculous. Oh and the 2013 tourney win over UCLA.

What, no mention of the ladies run to the Final Four or Rachel's 60 pt game?

I'm gonna add a women's game: Lindsay Whalen's return from a broken wrist to lead the team in a packed-Barn squeaker over UCLA in the NCAA tournament, 2004

89 vs #1 Illinois & Iron 5 over Iowa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I loved the Grier vs Badger game. But my favorite was McHale's last game in the barn.

One of the best I have watched but was not at the game would be the three overtime game vs Iowa in 1982.

The Badger killer... Lawrence Westbrook. First one in Madison. Second one at Williams Arena.
After the one in Madison where he dumped 26 points on the Badgers in a overtime win , he told the radio crew how much he hated the Badgers. Tubby wasn't to happy about that.

1982 vs Ohio State at The Barn for Big Ten Title.

1986 Iron Five win vs. Ohio State. My all-time greatest sports thrill (and I was at game 7 in 1987).

This is also my number one. Electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Illinois game in 1989 was awesome but I was 9 years old so I don't really remember a lot of it. I remember recording the replay of that game and and mailing the VHS cassette to my uncle in AZ. Looking back on it I'm sure he really didn't care at all.... Anyway my favorite has to be that double or triple OT game against Iowa in the late 90's, not sure which year but I definitely lost my voice for a day or two after that one.

One of my favorite games was the 2nd round women's game vs. UVa.

That one had The Pick.

Gophers over Badgers in 2010. I was on TV a ton :). But the shaved heads for Paul Carter, the win, etc. Of course there were the Bo Ryan chants...

One of my favorite games was the 2nd round women's game vs. UVa.

That one had The Pick.
Wasn't that game against Kansas State, or am I getting the years mixed up? That 2004 NCAA Round of 32 game remains the loudest I've ever heard The Barn for any game, men or women.

Road/neutral games, easily the 2009 OT win in Madison. 35 below zero never felt as good as it did leaving the KC that night. Incidentally, I'm 2-0 there, with the other game being Phil Kessel's can-you-hear-me-now antics.

Home games, probably Vince Grier wrecking the Weasels, but honorable mentions to the 09 Westbrook game v Wisconsin and the 2002 Mike Bauer game-winner vs Georgia.

Wasn't that game against Kansas State, or am I getting the years mixed up? That 2004 NCAA Round of 32 game remains the loudest I've ever heard The Barn for any game, men or women.

Road/neutral games, easily the 2009 OT win in Madison. 35 below zero never felt as good as it did leaving the KC that night. Incidentally, I'm 2-0 there, with the other game being Phil Kessel's can-you-hear-me-now antics.

Home games, probably Vince Grier wrecking the Weasels, but honorable mentions to the 09 Westbrook game v Wisconsin and the 2002 Mike Bauer game-winner vs Georgia.

It was the year after the final four. The Gophers lost to Baylor in the Sweet Sixteen that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers over Syracuse 1990 to go to the Elite Eight!

Drove three hours from Pensacola, FL and Navy Flight School to see the game.

At Williams, Iron 5 defeating #10 Iowa with 5 scholarship players and a walk-on.

Yes I am with you. What an exciting game and a talented Gophers team.

Playing Kentucky in the Final Four. I don't care that we lost or that the game was vacated. We were in the Final Four! I was there! I couldn't believe it. That feeling Saturday morning and afternoon while walking around Indy and hearing the fans sing the Rouser in the RCA Dome are things I'll never forget. It seemed like the dawn of a new era, of us laying the foundation to join the likes of Indiana and Michigan State. Instead it was a peak and we fell into a deep valley we've never entirely climbed out of. That fall has made that peak seem even more special in retrospect.

Top Bottom