What is the greatest Gopher game you ever attended?

For me it's no contest; the best Gopher game I've ever seen in person was when we beat Ohio State 29-17 in Columbus on October 14, 2000.

For me it's no contest; the best Gopher game I've ever seen in person was when we beat Ohio State 29-17 in Columbus on October 14, 2000.

#1 for me too! Ron Johnson owned Nate Clements that day!

Others:
-1993: vs. Wisconsin
-1993 & 1995: vs. Purdue
-2002: vs. Arkansas @ Music City Bowl
-2005: vs. Purdue
-2009: vs. Michigan State
-2013: vs. Nebraska

Jay Carroll caught 3 td passes in that game, including the game winner.

By the way: that upset win over the Buckeye in 1981 poved to be the FINAL GOPHER win in Memorial Stadium. The BRICK HOUSE was abandoned for the damn dome in 1982. RIP MEMORIAL STADIUM. It housed some GREAT games over the many decades it existed.

For me it was 2003 @ Penn State. That was the first road win I witnessed, I went with my former roommate and we had an absolute blast before, during and after the game. We went with Creative Charters and they were absolutely fabulous. The PSU fans were ridiculously friendly...

Many of the other games people have mentioned were definitely up there. The 2004 Music City Bowl vs. Alabama was fantastic - that was my first Bowl Game and first road victory with my wife.

The other one that is towards the top is 2014 at Nebraska. Another trip with my former roommate as well as another buddy and my brother-in-law. Had an outstanding time.

2003 Wisconsin would be on my list but I was in a buddy of mine's wedding so that is one of a small handful of home games I've missed over the last 15 years or so. I won't let my buddy forget that I missed the last Gopher victory over Wisconsin because of his wedding until they beat them again.

On a side note, I did delay his wedding waiting for the end of the game. We were listening on the radio, when we were told to go out when the Gophers had just gotten the ball with no timeouts and only a minute or two to go. I said I wasn't moving until the game ended. I got told I had to go NOW, and I said no, I was NOT moving until the game was over. A few minutes later the Gophers win, we had the wedding, and I led the singing of the Rouser at the reception per the groom's request. :)

The year was 1994, a buddy and I traveled to watch our beloved Gophs defeat the Badgers 17-14. Late in the game and still drunker than Cooter Brown, we left out upper deck seats and went down to the lower level in the end zone. The game ends and we run onto the field to celebrate, we then start running with a couple of the players up the ramp and right into the Gophers locker room. I then found myself on one knee holding hands with two offensive lineman in team prayer, still drunk! Great celebration to follow in the locker room and nobody seemed to care that we were there. I held the Axe over my head in complete jubilation! The craziest experience I have had involving Gopher sports and a memory i will never forget.

Sorry, haven't posted much of late as my moniker would indicate, but here are my candidates for greatest Gopher game I've attended:
Football:
* - Rhys "Churchill" Lloyd's game winner & sideline dash vs. Wisconsin in 2003. Made sitting near the obnoxious Wisconsin Marching Band for the entire game well worth it...
* - Trouncing of Nebraska in 2013 at TCF Bank Stadium, although the Husker fans we encountered were very gracious in defeat.
* - Rolling past Iowa in 2014 at TCF Bank Stadium, their fans weren't so gracious.
* - OT win at UNLV in 2012...not a hugely signifcant win but walking the Strip and seeing MN fans everywhere in the days leading up to, tailgating with a huge Gopher contingent before the game and celebrating the win in the desert heat with thousands of Gophers fans afterwards was a lot of fun.

Hoops:
* - 1985 win over highly regarded Illinois team...but we all know what happened later on with some of the players on that team.
* - 1989 win over eventual national champion Michigan at the Barn...an overacheiving team that the Barn crowd really got behind.

What could have been:
* - 1985 Gophers drove deep into highly-ranked Oklahoma Sooners' territory late in the game trailing just 13-7 only to come up short in a nearly full Metrodome. We were sitting near the Sooners' section and never saw so many cowboy hats and belt buckles at a football game before.
* - 2011 Gophers almost pull off upset at Coliseum vs. USC in Jerry Kill's first game. Several USC fans we were surrounded by hated Kiffin so much they were pulling for MN at the end to pull off the upset. Hung out afterwards at the beer garden at the nearby LA Sports Arena with a lot of fun Trojan fans as well as a handful of Gopher fans...including a guy who played in the 1961 Rose Bowl...in the U of M Marching Band.
* - 2015 Gophers lose heartbreaker to TCU...I won the Sun Country seats for that game and my son, who will be attending the U as freshman this fall!!!, and I had a memorable night even though the Gophers came up short. I'm convinced atmosphere this game clinched it for him to become a student at the U!

Anyway, thanks for letting me play!!!

2009 Michigan State, when Nick Tow-Arnett caught that pass, got it knocked out, and Duane Bennett grabbed it and ran 60 yards for the TD. Halloween. It was a crazy game.

October 8th, 2005 @ Michigan:
352m6wp.jpg

The year was 1994, a buddy and I traveled to watch our beloved Gophs defeat the Badgers 17-14. Late in the game and still drunker than Cooter Brown, we left out upper deck seats and went down to the lower level in the end zone. The game ends and we run onto the field to celebrate, we then start running with a couple of the players up the ramp and right into the Gophers locker room. I then found myself on one knee holding hands with two offensive lineman in team prayer, still drunk! Great celebration to follow in the locker room and nobody seemed to care that we were there. I held the Axe over my head in complete jubilation! The craziest experience I have had involving Gopher sports and a memory i will never forget.

That's epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom