Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Ok
5S1EJF3.gif

My initial response was, "Who the hell is Malik Smith?"

Don't really get the Malik Smith hate. Seemed like a good kid who is passionate about the U and appreciative of the opportunity Pitino gave him here and at FIU. Half the board wanted him to start over the Hollins' after the Michigan game a couple years back.

Don't really get the Malik Smith hate. Seemed like a good kid who is passionate about the U and appreciative of the opportunity Pitino gave him here and at FIU. Half the board wanted him to start over the Hollins' after the Michigan game a couple years back.

Agree. It seems like what he's saying is that he's got a lot of great things to say about the U.

How many 3 point attempts would he have per game as an assistant? Could see him chucking from the bench.

Some of you are sad. Fans should want every graduate to want to coach the Gophers. Let Pitino decide who should.

Saying he shot threes a lot isn't an insult. It is a fact

No sh**. Tell us something we don't know. Glad that he's a proud alum of the program and the school, and he certainly gave his all while he was here and represented the program well (can't take that for granted now). I'll take his word for it when he says he could do a good job recruiting since he's a younger guy that kids can easily connect with. That being said, I don't see him in another role here anytime soon.

Good for Malik. He is 26 so it's not like he's super young to be coaching, especially in basketball. Mike Sherels was hired as a GA at 28 and linebackers coach at 29 and so far that seems to be working out well for the football team.

What great fans in this thread. Way to sh!t all over a former player for no reason.

Dude had some nice games early in the year - then had a stretch where he didn't shoot as well - but he wasn't the worst player that has ever suited up for the U. he wasn't a star - but you could say that about 99% of the players over the years.

The "ripping" is commentary on his naivete. Some random 26-year-old dude with no coaching experience isn't going to get a Big Ten assistant coaching job, even if he played high major DI basketball, even if he did so here. For example, when Breakin the Plane said he was going to apply for Amelia's old job, no one here said anything because, lacking context, it's at least plausible that he was qualified. We all know what Malik Smith's resume is and know that he's not remotely qualified for the job. That's why he's getting "ripped". He should expect to receive some flak for making a silly comment akin to something a daydreaming 8-year-old would say.

No sh**. Tell us something we don't know. Glad that he's a proud alum of the program and the school, and he certainly gave his all while he was here and represented the program well (can't take that for granted now). I'll take his word for it when he says he could do a good job recruiting since he's a younger guy that kids can easily connect with. That being said, I don't see him in another role here anytime soon.
Only one person in this thread made a negative comment: and it was largely ignored

The "ripping" is commentary on his naivete. Some random 26-year-old dude with no coaching experience isn't going to get a Big Ten assistant coaching job, even if he played high major DI basketball, even if he did so here. For example, when Breakin the Plane said he was going to apply for Amelia's old job, no one here said anything because, lacking context, it's at least plausible that he was qualified. We all know what Malik Smith's resume is and know that he's not remotely qualified for the job. That's why he's getting "ripped". He should expect to receive some flak for making a silly comment akin to something a daydreaming 8-year-old would say.

Exactly. Also to add it was completely out of left field, did an opening get posted?

The "ripping" is commentary on his naivete. Some random 26
To borrow from your playbook of arguing he never said make him an assistant he said he wanted to be on staff. Staff includes GA's, Special Assistants, Managers etc. Pretty much all the people rocking suites in the team pic. Plus I think anyone with half a brain knows that Malik knows that he's not getting hired, no need to rip a former gopher and upstanding citizen.

We don't need any recruiting violations......

I don't even think he knew who he was referring to.

As for my post of "Who the hell is Malik Smith?" My point is there are other former Gophers who are way more well known (with the school) and who are better suited to be assistant coach/recruiters. Hoffarber, Nolan, Quincy, and the Hollinses would be much higher on the potential hire list than a 1 year transfer student.

To borrow from your playbook of arguing he never said make him an assistant he said he wanted to be on staff. Staff includes GA's, Special Assistants, Managers etc. Pretty much all the people rocking suites in the team pic. Plus I think anyone with half a brain knows that Malik knows that he's not getting hired, no need to rip a former gopher and upstanding citizen.

"I know I would be able to talk some great recruits into loving and committing to the U." The only people who can recruit are the head and assistant coaches. GA's [sic], Special Assistants, Managers etc. can't play any role in recruiting. You were saying?

"I know I would be able to talk some great recruits into loving and committing to the U." The only people who can recruit are the head and assistant coaches. GA's [sic], Special Assistants, Managers etc. can't play any role in recruiting. You were saying?
Again he's not specifically talking about recruiting, he can do his song and dance once they're on campus no matter what his role is. Check and mate

Again he's not specifically talking about recruiting, he can do his song and dance once they're on campus no matter what his role is. Check and mate

"I know I would be able to talk some great recruits into loving and committing to the U"

Better check your check.

What great fans in this thread. Way to sh!t all over a former player for no reason.

^^ This. It was a nice quote from a former player. Lot of strange people on this board wanting to create controversy or negativity everywhere they look.

He could be a GA this year and an assistant coach next year. A progression many coaches follow.

Glad that this young man thinks highly of his abilities. Even getting on the staff would be tough but if he did he still would not be allowed to recruit as only so many staff members are allowed and that takes time to build those relationships as well as showing he has the very insightful for it. Be great if he went into coaching but after a few years as a grad asst. get ready to be the last asst. on the staff at a Eastern Illinois. This is not a rip, just a reality check.

^^ This. It was a nice quote from a former player. Lot of strange people on this board wanting to create controversy or negativity everywhere they look.

+1. Everyone can dream and you have to appreciate his passion for the U. Most GHers don't have a fraction of the passion he has, but many seem quick to put him down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom