Richard Pitino on Sports HUddle 7-10-16

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher Men's basketball coach Richard Pitino appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave on Sunday, July 10th. (note - was having trouble hearing radio with static from weather - may have missed a couple things...)

Sid: 3 new recruits - talk about them -what you've seen.
RP: doing a lot of individual instruction. excited about all the new players, including walk-on Brady. Amir elite-level passer. Eric Curry 6'9" - reminds me of Jordan Murphy with more size. Michael Hurt hardest worker in program. Guards are a lot bigger - more flexibility.

Sid: returning guys showing improvement?
RP: McBrayer put on 10 pounds - looking better.

Sid: starting lineup?
RP: don't know. Akeem Springs finishing up summer school. different ways we can play. figure it out in practice.

Mona: Reggie Lynch?
RP: nothing new. investigation on-going. be patient. not sure what time-table is.

Sid: playing tougher schedule?
RP: I think this will be our best team if healthy. I scheduled it that way. St. John's, Arkansas, Florida State, Vanderbilt. toughest schedule we've had since I've been here.

Sid: any seniors on team?
RP: Darrin Haugh, Akeem Springs

Sid: gave walk-on a scholarship?
RP: great teammate, works his butt off on the court and in the classroom. take care of kids in your program.

Mona: Jordan Murphy what does he need to do to improve?
RP: he's going to get more attention. has to improve jump shot. up to 240 pounds -filled out. he's going to take a jump next year.

Sid: rebounding going to be better?
RP: we'll have more length - that will help. got some versatility at positions.

Mona: Amir as rebounder?
RP: not like his dad - weighs 190. he's a big guard - as good a passer as any kid I've coached.

Sid: scholarships available for 2017?
RP: we have two for next season. we'll look to sign two guys in fall.

Mona: position on 1-and-done guys? (alluded to Gary Trent...)
RP: if I had it my way, let them go right into NBA. you have issue of guys not being ready and going too soon. they've got to decide what's best fit for them. (my opinion - got sense RP didn't think it was worth spending effort to go after 1-and-dones)

Top Bottom