ESPN: Larry Brown resigns as SMU coach over contract

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

SMU coach Larry Brown is resigning, ending a four-year run during which the Mustangs made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1993 and then were banned from postseason play last season.

Asked by ESPN's Andy Katz why he is resigning, Brown did not offer details, saying he first wanted to discuss his decision with his players and their parents.

SMU athletic director Rick Hart said the school had offered Brown a contract that ran through 2020, but sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that Brown wasn't satisfied with the terms of the deal and wanted a longer commitment.

Brown later acknowledged the contract impasse to The Dallas Morning News.

"The essence of it is, based on what [SMU officials] told me they would do for me [contractually], I just couldn't be truthful with these kids anymore," Brown said, declining to discuss contract details.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16888334/larry-brown-steps-coach-smu-mustangs

Go Gophers!!

Hard to know the circumstances but if the only reason he is coaching college basketball is to validate himself with even more money .... he shouldn't be coaching kids.

Hard to know the circumstances but if the only reason he is coaching college basketball is to validate himself with even more money .... he shouldn't be coaching kids.

I read length, not money.

but sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that Brown wasn't satisfied with the terms of the deal and wanted a longer commitment.

I would think an extension through 2020 is pretty good considering they were just banned from postseason play.

Classic Larry surprised he lasted four years, but always has one foot out the door

Top Bottom