STrib: Gophers AD Mark Coyle on Lucia, Pitino, Claeys, Robinson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib Q&A:

Q Where do we stand right now with (men’s hockey coach) Don Lucia and his contract status?

A Don and I had a chance to sit down and visit, and we’ll continue to talk. I don’t mean to repeat myself, but a part of my job is to sit down with all the coaches — I think I’ve missed one or two we haven’t connected with yet because of recruiting schedules. I truly feel it’s my job and the athletic department staff’s job to do everything we can to support our coaches. What can we do to help them compete at a high level. Obviously Don is in a very marquee sport that people pay a lot of attention to. They’ve won five straight conference championships. But with the transition to the Big Ten what can I do to help him and his program? We continue to have conversations and I continue to learn.

Q What are some of those things for hockey in particular?

A I think a critical piece is they talk about the TV times. I think you guys understand this better than me because when I left Minnesota (Coyle was here from 2001-2005) it was Friday and Saturday nights. It’s been moved quite a bit, and it sounds like we’re getting to a little more consistency this year, which helps fans. Anytime there’s change, it creates anxiety. Trust me, I’ve gone through change the past two summers. You had the transition from the WCHA — there was familiarity and great rivalries — to the Big Ten. … Don has talked about the addition of Notre Dame, which I think will be important.

Q Is Don Lucia the hockey coach long-term? Do you have that vision?

A He’s our hockey coach, yeah. He’s our hockey coach, and it’s my job to support him and we’ll continue to do that.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-mark-coyle-on-lucia-pitino-claeys-robinson/386058751/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom