All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

Stan

Reaction score
I figured we should get an Oturu thread going as we already offered the local big man.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So he looks like a SF in the video I posted, but everyone keeps referring to him as a big man. Are we recruiting him as a PF?

So he looks like a SF in the video I posted, but everyone keeps referring to him as a big man. Are we recruiting him as a PF?

How does he look like a SF? Most of the video shows him bullying in the post, blocking shots, and grabbing offensive rebounds.

Well the highlight video lists him as a SF and in addition to being very lanky and slight, he seems to run the court well and have a good handle for a "big man." I kind of got the vibe he was a "big man" for his high school team simply because of his height, similar to Rodney Williams in high school. But I have never seen the kid play, so hence my question.

Well the highlight video lists him as a SF and in addition to being very lanky and slight, he seems to run the court well and have a good handle for a "big man." I kind of got the vibe he was a "big man" for his high school team simply because of his height, similar to Rodney Williams in high school. But I have never seen the kid play, so hence my question.

He plays like a big man, he's more Mbakwe than Williams.

He's 16 years old...of course he looks like a D1 SF at this point. He'll put on weight over the next couple years.

I haven't seen much Oturu...but I remember Mbakwe, even in his HS days was one explosive SOB. His knuckled dragged on the floor - not in an unadvanced caveman way - and he could dunk everything within about 8 feet of the hoop.

Oturu plays like that...do some projecting, those who've seen him or heard more. Does he project to be close to as good at Mbakwe? If he's 80 percent of Mbakwe, you've got a good two-year starting big man.

He's 16 years old...of course he looks like a D1 SF at this point. He'll put on weight over the next couple years.

I haven't seen much Oturu...but I remember Mbakwe, even in his HS days was one explosive SOB. His knuckled dragged on the floor - not in an unadvanced caveman way - and he could dunk everything within about 8 feet of the hoop.

Oturu plays like that...do some projecting, those who've seen him or heard more. Does he project to be close to as good at Mbakwe? If he's 80 percent of Mbakwe, you've got a good two-year starting big man.

I agree. I can definitely see this kid get up to 230+ with strength and conditioning training.

If I'm being honest, the video reminds way more of Gaston than Mbakwe.

Not meant to be rude at all, so don't take offense to it :) , but I'd recommend actually seeing him play in person or watching a full game or two of his before passing quick judgement based on some tiny highlight clip. The comp to Gaston couldn't be more off-base so I'm not even going to address that. Not exactly a Rodney type either. Mbakwe isn't a terrible comparison though, as Oturu should end up being an A-grade rebounder in college, has similar athletic abilities and is a quick leaper despite not being that "jump out of the gym" prototype. However, they are different in the sense that Oturu projects to be about 2-3 inches taller and 10-15 pounds lighter and Oturu doesn't have the warrior mentality and defensive skills that Trevor had, although his defense isn't a weak point by any means and can always improve.

He's 6'8, 210 (at most) and I'd guess he'll end up a 6'9, 225 lb guy in college who's natural position is a PF who can run the floor very well but could play some at the 5 spot in a small ball rotation. Very fluid in transition and quite athletic...runs the floor well, puts himself in good position, and finishes seemingly everything with a big dunk. Has proven potential is there to develop a nice 15-20 foot jump shot similar to what Trevor had (not used very often yet) actually looks very smooth for his age and size.

per Shooter:

The Gophers men’s basketball team on Thursday offered a tender to 6-foot-10 junior Daniel Oturo from Cretin-Derham Hall. The highly athletic Oturo, who is from Woodbury, has a 7-4 wingspan and should be among the top 100 juniors when national rankings come out soon. Michigan State, Kansas and Providence also have interest.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/0...berwolves-could-be-in-line-for-25m-contracts/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

7'4 wingspan :eek:

aside from being 16 years old, that would explain why he would look skinny. That's arms for days.

Go Gophers!!

From Friday:

Go Gophers!!

I know he was there to be with the bball team, but what a unfortunate game for him to attend. I hope he enjoyed the company more than watching 3 and outs.

I thought I read somewhere that he was a fan of the Gophers growing up. I'd guess that a ****ty football game won't hinder us too much.

Michigan State and Texas visiting Oturu today

Kansas is visiting Oturu next week.

He gone.

It's Gopher basketball/football.

Maybe, but it's not like Kansas wins every recruiting battle they get into. Sims didn't go to Kansas, Reid Travis didn't go to Duke, Coffey had an Arizona offer, and they've been recruiting on an elite level, bringing multiple 5 stars in each year. I thought I saw an interview that said Oturu grew up cheering for the Gophers. It's far from over.

Top Bottom