All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

Isn't this early (he's a junior) for an announcement-like commitment?

I just spoke to a guy the other day that said that some of the local kids have been talking together about getting together a great group that comes together to the U to win a championship. With the recruits Pitino has been bringing and the Minnesota classes coming -it's a possibility. I am hopeful on this one!

Tell us more about this guy.

I too would also like to hear more about this guy.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Yes! I love the momentum that's building not just with Minnesota players, but with TALENTED players wanting to play for the U.

per Marcus:

With as big of a turnaround as the Gophers basketball team has made so far this season, four-star Cretin-Derham Hall big man Daniel Oturu couldn't wait any longer to make it official that he wanted to stay home.

Oturu, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound junior, announced Thursday afternoon he will play for the Gophers. The commitment came in front of fellow students, friends and family at his high school gym.

A surprising 15-4 start for Minnesota coach Richard Pitino's team paid dividends with him landing his most high-profile local recruit since signing former Hopkins star Amir Coffey last year.

"It's a big deal," said Rene Pulley, founder of Howard Pulley, Oturu's AAU team. "He kind of knew he wanted to stay home. He wanted his family to see him play. He didn't want to leave."

Oturu is ranked No. 1 in the state's junior class by ESPN.com. He's ranked 76th nationally in 2018 by Rivals.com, 66th by Scout.com and 78th by 247Sports.com.

Oturu picked Minnesota after receiving scholarship offers from schools such as Kansas, Texas, Baylor, Nebraska, Georgia Tech and Memphis.

Pitino signed Coffey and Michael Hurt from Rochester John Marshall in Minnesota's 2016 class. The Gophers failed to land any local prospects in a loaded 2017 class, but Pitino could have up to five scholarships available for a 2018 group that is just as talented at the top.

Minnesota also offered Apple Valley's Tre Jones, Armstrong's Race Thompson and DeLaSalle's Gabe Kalscheur. Jones, Thompson and Oturu are the top three players in the state's junior class and consensus top 100 prospects in the country.

"I think getting Daniel helps the Gophers a lot," Pulley said. "The Gophers have gone after hometown kids, but they just weren't fortunate enough to get them all — some of the best ones. Maybe now that will change."

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...daniel-oturu-of-cretin-derham-hall/411244465/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

What a great pickup for Coach Pitino and his staff! Not only a big time instate kid, but a kid that fills arguably the teams biggest need. This is a great start to a bounce back after last years instate disappointments.

STrib: The Raiders prevailed 89-73 after junior Daniel Oturu, who verbally committed to Minnesota, returned to the game after appearing to suffer a leg injury.

The game between Cretin-Derham Hall and Woobury was tied at 57 with 10:29 left, but that's when the Raiders started to pull away.

The host Raiders (7-0) defeated the Royals (6-1) 89-73 to remain undefeated in conference play.

The Raiders' student section fell quiet with under six minutes left in the second half as Cretin-Derham Hall's star Daniel Oturu briefly left the game with a right leg injury. Cretin-Derham Hall led by 5 points at the time, its second-largest lead of the game.

Oturu, who verbally committed Thursday to attend Minnesota, quickly came back and the Raiders pulled away, going on a 32-16 run.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/747967?referrer_id=198777

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Chad:

Oturu’s early commitment filled a need for Pitino’s recruiting class, but perhaps just as important, it gives him a vocal supporter who plans to be in the ear of the state’s best prep players.

“I hope to get some of my classmates to come with me too,” Oturu said. “Since I’m committed now and they see that I’m going there, hopefully I can start recruiting them to come with me.”

Oturu committed to the Gophers via a phone call with Pitino and assistant coach Ben Johnson, whom Oturu said were ecstatic to hear his news.

But later that morning, Oturu reached out to three more people — Jones, Kalscheur and Thompson — to tell them his news and begin his own phase of recruiting.

“They were really happy for me,” Oturu said. “Race was like, ‘I kind of expected it.’ They were just really excited for me and happy that I chose Minnesota.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/2...st-best-recruiter-recent-commit-daniel-oturu/

Go Gophers!!

Pioneer Press: Gophers commit Daniel Oturu still growing — in size and in game

But what you see now is likely a shell of what Oturu can become.

“What we see today and what the U is going to have two, three, four years from now is a different player,” Cretin-Derham Hall coach Jerry Kline said. “His body is going to look different, it’s going to change, and I think he’s going to be even more dominant.”

“He’s just a human eraser,” Getzlaff said. “He’s got a really good combination to be a really good shot blocker. He’s got leaping ability, his timing is great.”

Then there’s the offensive end. Cretin-Derham Hall junior guard Ryan Larson said whenever the Raiders need a bucket, they can turn to Oturu, who’s averaging 18 points a game this season.

Getzlaff said Oturu has a better touch this year shooting the ball and an ever-evolving range. That jumper is still a work in progress, according to Oturu.

“I want to improve in my perimeter play, shooting the ball, having more confidence to shoot,” Oturu said. “I have a good stroke, good rhythm, I just feel like I’m less confident in taking jump shots. I’m not used to just taking them.”

Doctors have told Oturu that he could reach 7 feet, and likely will grow another inch or two.

“What I’m more worried about is putting more weight on,” said Oturu, who estimated he was about 211 pounds at the start of the season.

Playing with Howard Pulley in the Elite Youth Basketball League last summer showed Oturu how big and physical some of the country’s best big men are. Harris said Oturu held his own fairly well, but added that there’s a need to put on a few pounds and add some strength.

Harris also said he doesn’t think Oturu really understands how good he can be. That, apparently, is one thing that hasn’t changed. For Oturu, the growing never stops — on or off the court.

“To me, right now, I’m not really that good yet,” he said. “I still have so much to learn and so much to get better at.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/2...-oturu-continues-to-grow-in-size-and-in-game/

Go Gophers!!

Oturu misses tonight's game at East Ridge. Inquiring minds want to know why?

Top Bottom