All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

Most impressive prospect for East Ridge is Ben Carlson Marcus...not in love with Brown.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Gophers men’s basketball assistant Ben Johnson was on hand to see Cretin-Derham Hall junior Daniel Oturu score his 1,000th career point against White Bear Lake the other day. The still-growing 6-foot-9, 210-pounder who has committed to the Gophers has attended several of Minnesota’s games and remains firmly resolved to playing for coach Richard Pitino.

Oturu sits behind the Gophers bench with two other highly recruited juniors, shooting guard Gabe Kalscheur of DeLaSalle and power forward Race Thompson of Robbinsdale Armstrong. Pitino and his staff are trying hard to make Kalscheur and Thompson part of a prized Minnesota junior trifecta.

Oturu plans to play for the Howard Pulley AAU traveling team that will play a national schedule this summer.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/0...-after-hanzal-white-trade-wilds-leipold-says/

Go Gophers!!

He'll be a 5 star kid by the end of the summer. Kansas tried to get in on him early

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He'll be a 5 star kid by the end of the summer. Kansas tried to get in on him early

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He won't be a 5 but he'll keep rising, I bet. He started in the 80s, now he's in the 60s, and he'll finish in the 40s. But it all depends on his AAU season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope he can jump right in a the rim protector when Lynch leaves, as he may be the main man at the 5 as a frosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. I could see Curry playing center in two years.

Curry/Oturo
Murphy/ Fitz
Coffey/Hurt
McBrayer/Harris
Washington

That's a strong core looking 2 years out...

Oturu and Cretin beat Tartan last night to punch their ticket to State. They were the 4 seed to boot, so they were somewhat of an underdog, although they did beat #1 seed East Ridge earlier in the season.

vs. North St. Paul- 19 points, 13 rebounds, 12 blocks
@ East Ridge- 25 points, 17 rebounds, 11 blocks
@ Tartan- 16 points, no rebound or block numbers yet

Those are the numbers he put up in three section games.

That section was wide open. CDH was a 4 seed becasue Oturu missed a couple games with illness if I remember right.

Impressive that they got those wins considering all 3 teams they beat are legit and have D1 kids, but not an upset.

Will be fun to see what they do at state. Crazy how almost every team in AAAA state has at least 1 D1 kid.

From our Q&A with Matthew Hurt:

Gopher Hole: They got a commitment from a junior, who I don't know if you see that much, Daniel Oturu from Cretin-Derham Hall. Does that get you more excited about being a Minnesota going to Minnesota. I know that they have Amir (Coffey) and your brother who were Minnesota kids who went to Minnesota. Does that get you more excited following in the footsteps of other Minnesota kids?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. Most definitely. Daniel is a great player/ He picked what was the right place for him and that is a great choice for him. He is like Top 60 in the country. I think that it is good for players around the state to go to the Gophers and hope that they can help other recruits to commit to the Gophers, too.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/771452?referrer_id=331171

That section was wide open. CDH was a 4 seed becasue Oturu missed a couple games with illness if I remember right.

He missed the game at East Ridge (the one they lost 80-43) because of a one game suspension, along with another player, if I recall, Jaylen Newton. I don't believe that game was due to illness, but still nothing major.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Oturu had 17pts, 18 reb, and 6 blocks against a good sized Apple Valley team. Oturu is built like Curry, but probably a little longer so he is a great shotblocker and rebounder. He doesn't have any skills outside of 10 feet like Curry has. He had one amazing spin move during the game that dropped my jaw. Very excited to get him.

Pg Ryan Larson is super quick but might not be 6' tall and is a jr. Could be a mid major.

Tre Jones had 34 points, 12 reb, 3 ass. carried his team from behind to the win.

Oturu had 17pts, 18 reb, and 6 blocks against a good sized Apple Valley team. Oturu is built like Curry, but probably a little longer so he is a great shotblocker and rebounder. He doesn't have any skills outside of 10 feet like Curry has. He had one amazing spin move during the game that dropped my jaw. Very excited to get him.

Pg Ryan Larson is super quick but might not be 6' tall and is a jr. Could be a mid major.

Tre Jones had 34 points, 12 reb, 3 ass. carried his team from behind to the win.
Oturu reminded me more of Reggie Lynch than Eric Curry. The spin move he had yesterday was great, but Oturu is still pretty raw. His upside looks great, however. There is a lot of room before he hits the ceiling. He should be fun to watch as a Gopher.

Oturu putting up another big game. 9/12 on FGs, 20pts, 13 rebounds. 3 minutes to go in the game vs Andover.

From our Q&A with Race Thompson:

Gopher Hole: The Gophers got a commitment from another junior, Daniel Oturu. Do you know him very well?

Race Thompson: Me and Daniel talk a lot. I'm not going to say that is going to influence my decision, but it is cool to see one of my friends going there and that is definitely in the back of my mind when I make my decision.

Gopher Hole: Has he tried to work on you a little bit, though?

Race Thompson: A little bit as a joke, but he knows the process and knows what people look for in schools, so he knows that doing that is not really going to change anything.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/773255?referrer_id=331171

I don't remember high school sr Reggie Lynch. Current Reggie Lynch is 6-10 260. Reggie has superb hands but cannot move laterally. Bad feet?

Oturu is more athletic than Reggie he can move laterally, he weighs more what Curry probably weighed in high school. Other than ability to block shots I don't see any of this years Lynch resemblance. Also Oturu is hungry for rebounds. Lynch is just an average rebounder.

Oturu reminded me more of Reggie Lynch than Eric Curry. The spin move he had yesterday was great, but Oturu is still pretty raw. His upside looks great, however. There is a lot of room before he hits the ceiling. He should be fun to watch as a Gopher.

I don't remember high school sr Reggie Lynch. Current Reggie Lynch is 6-10 260. Reggie has superb hands but cannot move laterally. Bad feet?

Oturu is more athletic than Reggie he can move laterally, he weighs more what Curry probably weighed in high school. Other than ability to block shots I don't see any of this years Lynch resemblance. Also Oturu is hungry for rebounds. Lynch is just an average rebounder.
Oturu was going against guys 6 inches shorter than him. His postioning for rebounds by blocking out defenders needs improvement to be strong at the college level.
That said, Oturu has a ton of upside to him. I am glad he wants to be a Gopher.

Oturu was going against guys 6 inches shorter than him. His postioning for rebounds by blocking out defenders needs improvement to be strong at the college level.
That said, Oturu has a ton of upside to him. I am glad he wants to be a Gopher.

Good thing Oturu has another AAU and High School season left. As far as rebounding goes, he led Howard Pulley last year, and only played like 15 minutes a game, playing against much better competition.

AAU is where all recruiting should and is done. Coaches show their faces at high school games. Oturu played well for Howard Pulley by most accounts. That is all I need to know.

AAU is where all recruiting should and is done. Coaches show their faces at high school games. Oturu played well for Howard Pulley by most accounts. That is all I need to know.
AAU is directly responsible for the decline in the basic basketball fundamentals. It is the reason why Europeans are thriving in the NBA and kids from the US struggle to stick.

WCCO: Prep Blog: State Basketball Tournament Features Several Division I Recruits

Cretin-Derham Hall – Daniel Oturu

Gophers basketball fans should be in attendance at Target Center Wednesday afternoon when unseeded Cretin-Derham Hall takes on No. 3 Apple Valley. The Raiders will be looking to pull the upset of the Eagles, and they’ll need their stars to do it. One of them is junior post player Daniel Oturu. He announced his verbal commitment to play for Minnesota and Richard Pitino back in January. Oturu’s hope is that other locals follow him. For the season, Oturu is averaging nearly 20 points per game, more than 16 rebounds per game and more than six blocks per game. He had scholarship offers from all over the country, including Kansas, but opted instead to stick with the Gophers.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/...rnament-features-several-division-i-recruits/

Go Gophers!!

AAU is directly responsible for the decline in the basic basketball fundamentals. It is the reason why Europeans are thriving in the NBA and kids from the US struggle to stick.

Yeah, there are barely any kids who grow up playing AAU thriving in the NBA. Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Top Bottom