All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

I'd say the Gophers at least have an outside chance, but the allure of Duke, AZ and UCLA is huge. Tyus received national exposure on the biggest stage. And Duke will always have that. It may not be long-term or even a benefit maybe, but many more people know who he is because he went to Duke. Tre seems to be every bit as good as Tyus, so I'm not sure he's a 3yr guy.

I think he's better

I'd say the Gophers at least have an outside chance, but the allure of Duke, AZ and UCLA is huge. Tyus received national exposure on the biggest stage. And Duke will always have that. It may not be long-term or even a benefit maybe, but many more people know who he is because he went to Duke. Tre seems to be every bit as good as Tyus, so I'm not sure he's a 3yr guy.
Of course. But, Fame is fleeting. El-Amin did the same thing as Jones 18 years earlier. Where is he at today? I would offer the Trent Tucker is a bigger part of the Twin Cities today. If you look at this long-term, I think you may come to a different conclusion, Tre.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This therad is for updates on Daniel Oturu. If you would like to talk about Tre Jones there is a thread dedicated entirely to him. If you want to talk about El-Amin, we recommend a new thread. All posts not about Daniel Oturu will be deleted.

Besides the anonymous guy at 6 are we recruiting any of the other top 40 guys on that list?
#6, #10 and #12 are potential teammates of Daniel. If if he gets one of those , he may get two.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Marcus Q&A:

ON RECRUITING HIS PULLEY TEAMMATES: “I kind of pick my moments. At the end of the day, it’s their decision where they want to go. Whatever is best for them and their family. No matter what they choose I’ll always support them, because they’re my brothers. Every now and then I’ll say: ‘Hey, don’t forget about the U.’ Or I’ll say, ‘We can really do something special here and make our city proud.’ It’s a really good goal that I have that we can play well together here at Minnesota and make people here proud – to put Minnesota on the map.”

ON GOPHERS FACILITIES: “I haven’t been up there in awhile. But when I was last there it was pretty cool to see that it could look like and what life at the U will be when I get there. I’m excited. It’s also great to have something brand new that players can be excited about.”

ON EXPECTATIONS FOR PITINO’S TEAM in 2017-18: “No one really expected them to be as good as they were this year. They didn’t realize their talent level was that high. The year before they were really young. I think that they overlooked the Gophers this year. They turned some heads and put themselves on the map. People are not sleeping on them now. They’re looking at them like playing Minnesota is going to be a battle and they bring it and their players play hard until the end. Now they have a target on their back. But they will play even better with a target on their back and make an even deeper run in the (NCAA tournament).”

ON PLAYING WITH 7-FOOT TRANSFER MATZ STOCKMAN: “It will help. I know he played at Louisville. So he was under another great coach Rick Pitino, a legendary coach. I have no excuse not to learn anything. I think competing against him would make me better. He’ll be a senior so he’ll have a (mature) body. He’ll be physically strong. Going against someone that all (7-1), physically tough and aggressive will help me a lot as a freshman. It’ll help me grow as a player because I’ll be playing against guys just like him every night. So I feel like It can help me a lot; just his knowledge of the game from what he’s learned in four years of college.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

Chris Monter Q&A with Race Thompson:

Gopher Hole: Daniel Oturu committed here. I know that he said that he is going to work on you and some of the other Minnesota kids to join him. What does he say to you?

Race Thompson: We were together at the Top 100 Camp, so I hung out with him a lot there. I wouldn't say that he pushed me to go to Minnesota, because he knows the process. He knows what it is like. He is probably going to help me make my best decision. He is not just going to tell me to go to the "U" because he wants to play with me. He is going to be honest with me and take the process. He took it slow. He committed early, but he did take it slow. Definitely fun hanging out with Daniel and him just recruiting me a little bit.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/811254?referrer_id=

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Does Oturu average a triple double his senior year in high school? That would be very cool to see. I wonder how close he was last year.

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Oturu’s potential might be the highest for a Gophers center out of high school since Joel Przybilla came to the U in 1998.

“I think Daniel Oturu is going to be a really good player,” said Evan Daniels, Scout.com’s director of basketball recruiting. “I like him as a prospect. I think he has a lot of upside. I think his best basketball days are ahead of him. He’s mobile. He’s long. He’s athletic. He goes to the glass and rebounds. He contests shots. That was a pretty significant pickup for Richard Pitino to get a guy like him early.”

Oturu and Thomas could be still growing, even after adding a couple inches in the past year. There’s no doubt they will also both get much bigger and stronger before college. Thomas is still just 16.

Thomas’ off-the-chart athleticism stands out more than anything. But playing consistently with a high motor is what allowed him to make an even greater impact this summer, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi said.

“He’s always been athletic,” Bossi said. “He always had a motor. But it was an inconsistent one. Hot and cold. Never knew what you were going to get. But now I think he’s become more reliable. And you know the effort is more often than not going to be there. He’s finding different ways to be productive on top of just playing hard.”

http://www.startribune.com/daniel-o...uld-make-great-future-u-frontcourt/435679763/

Go Gophers!!

Hey everyone, first time poster, longtime lurker...I'm curious, does anyone has an updated wingspan for Oturu? I read on DraftExpress that he was measured at 6'7" (without shoes) with a 7'2" span. Recently I've seen Oturu listed at 6'10", but haven't been able to find a wingspan.

Hey everyone, first time poster, longtime lurker...I'm curious, does anyone has an updated wingspan for Oturu? I read on DraftExpress that he was measured at 6'7" (without shoes) with a 7'2" span. Recently I've seen Oturu listed at 6'10", but haven't been able to find a wingspan.

That was the first thing that jumped out to me when I watched Daniel play as a ninth grader. He was around 6'4 at that time and his arms were crazy long; you could tell there was a lot of potential there.

I'd guess his wingspan now has to be around 7'3 or 7'4.

His HS coach says 7-3 and that was when he was 6-9 and he's grown maybe an inch since then so maybe up to 7-4. Also I at the Pro am last night, I saw Reggie and Daniel were talking to each other and they were exactly the same height so he is a legit 6-10.

0:45

His HS coach says 7-3 and that was when he was 6-9 and he's grown maybe an inch since then so maybe up to 7-4. Also I at the Pro am last night, I saw Reggie and Daniel were talking to each other and they were exactly the same height so he is a legit 6-10.

0:45

Or maybe Reggie isn't 6'9 which I don't think he is

Or maybe Reggie isn't 6'9 which I don't think he is

Reggie is probably 6'9.5" or so in shoes. He is listed as 6'10 inches by the gophers. It can really hurt draft stocks for players to be significantly different than what was expected of them going into a combine/workout.

Reggie is probably 6'9.5" or so in shoes. He is listed as 6'10 inches by the gophers. It can really hurt draft stocks for players to be significantly different than what was expected of them going into a combine/workout.[/QUOTE

When Reggie guard 6'10 guys they look to be at least 2 inches taller than him. I think he is closer to 6'8 than 6'10

Top Bottom