All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

I could see Oturu having better offensive game from day one. But it will take him a year or two to have the defensive presence Reggie had. As others mentioned, Oturu has quickness and is more athletic so he could be a more versatile defender than just blocking shots.

It was fun watching Oturo and then Bagley of Duke the next day. Bagley is way more advanced at this point, but Oturo does the same type of things and has that type of athleticism. He could be our Bagley by his sophomore year if he develops on offense.

It was fun watching Oturo and then Bagley of Duke the next day. Bagley is way more advanced at this point, but Oturo does the same type of things and has that type of athleticism. He could be our Bagley by his sophomore year if he develops on offense.

Scary thing about Bagley is that he reclassified, he should be a SR in HS right now (I'm not sure what the actual age difference is between him and Oturo).

I am really impressed with Oturo, but I don't really see him like a Bagley. Bagley is so skilled, he reminds me a bit of Towns. I just think he is a more skilled than what we could hope from Oturo. That isn't a knock on Oturo, it's just that Bagley is a dynamic offensive player.

On the flipside, I think Oturo might be a better defensive player right now. I think he'll block more than 1 shot a game next season. IMO, Oturo will be more of a defensive presence, rebounder, and finisher at the rim for the next couple of seasons. I don't think he will be the focal point of the offense. That said, Bagley should be the focal point of the offense.

On the flipside, I think Oturo might be a better defensive player right now. I think he'll block more than 1 shot a game next season..

I sure as hell hope so, Muphy is a 1 blk guy... I'd guess Curry will be at or over 1.0 per game, Reggie was at 4.1 this year (2.8) as freshman.

Scary thing about Bagley is that he reclassified, he should be a SR in HS right now (I'm not sure what the actual age difference is between him and Oturo).

I am really impressed with Oturo, but I don't really see him like a Bagley. Bagley is so skilled, he reminds me a bit of Towns. I just think he is a more skilled than what we could hope from Oturo. That isn't a knock on Oturo, it's just that Bagley is a dynamic offensive player.

On the flipside, I think Oturo might be a better defensive player right now. I think he'll block more than 1 shot a game next season. IMO, Oturo will be more of a defensive presence, rebounder, and finisher at the rim for the next couple of seasons. I don't think he will be the focal point of the offense. That said, Bagley should be the focal point of the offense.

Right. He's not nearly the same type of player mb3 is. However as I have thought with omersa, oturo has the ability to become very skilled. He just isn't there yet. We ve seen flashes on skill from oturo and he has shown good touch and impressive spatial awareness and aerial ability that many dont have. He just needs gym time to get consistancy and work on moves and ft %. Same with omersa. He and Daniel imho aren't really raw. They are just not quite fully developed. They both have great touch on their jumpers and have shown great ability to find the basket. Lots of big men dont have( see bakary) ....I believe both have great ability.

Overall, if Daniel keeps improving as many of pitino's guys like Mason, Murphy, king have shown, I think all 3 of the 2018s have the potential to be impactful even all b1g players.

Oturu has wonderful potential to be a dynamic player. He is athletically gifted. However, he is raw. I expect he will foul out of quite a few games during his freshman year as he learns to deal with equally big people attacking the rim against him. Where he could swat shorter opponents shots, he will now be asked to defend guys who are 6' 10" and taller. That's going to take time to make an adjustment. In other words, don't expect him to be our "Patrick Ewing" as a freshman.
Thankfully, Oturu has Stockman and Curry who will provide invaluable assistance to Oturu in his first year.

I think the best-case scenario for Oturu is to play maybe 10-15 minutes off the bench as a backup Center/PF. Let him get his feet wet without having to try and carry the team. Meanwhile, get him in a weight, conditioning and nutrition program. With his frame, he could easily put on another 20 pounds of muscle in the next few years.

I think the best-case scenario for Oturu is to play maybe 10-15 minutes off the bench as a backup Center/PF. Let him get his feet wet without having to try and carry the team. Meanwhile, get him in a weight, conditioning and nutrition program. With his frame, he could easily put on another 20 pounds of muscle in the next few years.

Best case scenario?? Okie dokie.

Best case is 10-15 minutes? Are you kidding? I think worst case is 15+, but I'd guess he will play 20-25.

Exactly. . . this isn't Patrick Ewing coming in and he doesn't need to be. Stockman and Curry are going to play some big minutes with Curry splitting time at the 4. However can you imagine a front-line of Oturu/Curry/Coffey! I like it.

Oturu has wonderful potential to be a dynamic player. He is athletically gifted. However, he is raw. I expect he will foul out of quite a few games during his freshman year as he learns to deal with equally big people attacking the rim against him. Where he could swat shorter opponents shots, he will now be asked to defend guys who are 6' 10" and taller. That's going to take time to make an adjustment. In other words, don't expect him to be our "Patrick Ewing" as a freshman.
Thankfully, Oturu has Stockman and Curry who will provide invaluable assistance to Oturu in his first year.

Really like Oturu, but agree with this more than other posters.

I'd say Oturu will be closer to 15 mpg guy, than 25...

For comparison, Theo John averaged 11.8 mpg, 3.9pts.

Really like Oturu, but agree with this more than other posters.

I'd say Oturu will be closer to 15 mpg guy, than 25...

For comparison, Theo John averaged 11.8 mpg, 3.9pts.

Maybe he won't play 25 minutes, but why would you compare him to Theo John? He was ranked 204 in the country and Oturu is ranked 48.

Maybe he won't play 25 minutes, but why would you compare him to Theo John? He was ranked 204 in the country and Oturu is ranked 48.

You could ask the same thing about Oturu, why would you compare the #42 ranked player in the country to the #1 from last year. I'd expect Oturu closer to MBIII then Theo, but there is still be big disparity.

Also, didn't know he slipped that much, he was considered top 100, then top 150 at one point.

You could ask the same thing about Oturu, why would you compare the #42 ranked player in the country to the #1 from last year. I'd expect Oturu closer to MBIII then Theo, but there is still be big disparity.

Also, didn't know he slipped that much, he was considered top 100, then top 150 at one point.

I wasn't and I don't see the need to compare him to other players on different teams when projecting how many minutes he will play. With where Oturu is rated and what he have coming back at the 5, I don't think it's far-fetched to think he could be playing 25 minutes per game, although I wouldn't be shocked if he's playing 15 either. Depends on how Curry recovers and how good Matz is. Either way, 15-25 minutes sounds about right to me. The idea of 10-15 being the best case (I know you aren't the one who said that) is hilarious.

I think people here are underestimating him! He will be pitino's best recruit and will play alot next year.

I think people here are underestimating him! He will be pitino's best recruit and will play alot next year.
Is this based upon his state tournament numbers?
I saw wonderful athletic potential and better hands than the Mali Mauler, but he has a long way to go to be ready to have a significant impact in the B1G.
I choose to give him a grace period, but perhaps he'll meet your projection.

Good conversation, but it's going to come down to - as it always does - how the kid develops from this point forward. That's especially true of the big men that come out of this state. Even Joel P. was not an offensive whiz his freshman year, and he was the #3 recruit in the country as a HS senior.

I wasn't and I don't see the need to compare him to other players on different teams when projecting how many minutes he will play

I was throwing out a local guy some could relate with, on how much he played and his impact as a freshmen big man... Others comparing him to the future top 3 pick and #1 recruit, which is a little much. I didn't intend for that to illustrate how many minutes he will play.

Depends on how Curry recovers and how good Matz is. Either way, 15-25 minutes sounds about right to me. The idea of 10-15 being the best case (I know you aren't the one who said that) is hilarious.

I'm assuming Curry will be recovered, how good Matz will be is the bigger question mark for me. If Oturu is better then him as a freshman, a lot of people are going to be pretty upset with that pick-up.

10-15 seems pretty slim. I'm with you there... If I had to pick 15-20 or 20-25, I'd guess 15-20

Good conversation, but it's going to come down to - as it always does - how the kid develops from this point forward. That's especially true of the big men that come out of this state. Even Joel P. was not an offensive whiz his freshman year, and he was the #3 recruit in the country as a HS senior.

The other thing is that with Pryzbilla, Lynch, and most young big guys is they end up on the bench in foul trouble A LOT. Whether it's them not being used to playing against physical opponents, not understanding you can't try to block every single shot, referees not giving them the benefit of the doubt, or all of the above I would be really surprised if Oturu could average 20-25 minutes per game.

Observations watching him play - 6 10 athletic. Blocked Tre twice in the tournament. Can run the court, Passes well - will be a great threesome - Oturi, Curry and our remaining double double star.

Observations watching him play - 6 10 athletic. Blocked Tre twice in the tournament. Can run the court, Passes well - will be a great threesome - Oturi, Curry and our remaining double double star.

Exactly right. That is a very exciting front court, and you didn’t mention Coffey. All the more reason why it is so important to pick up a good PG and shooting wing/2 guard that can play next year. Right now the back court is too thin. IW and Dupree are solid. The jury is still out big time on Harris, and of course, Gabe will be an untested freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STrib: Gophers recruit Daniel Oturu makes Nike Summit World Select team

Gophers recruit and Cretin-Derham Hall senior Daniel Oturu was invited Tuesday to play for the Nike Hoop Summit World Select team.

Oturu, a 6-foot-10 center, will represent Nigeria and play against Team USA on April 13 at Moda Arena in Portland. The 11th annual event features the top U.S. high school seniors competing against the best internationl players from around the world.

Oturu's parents, Francis and Deborah, are both from Nigeria.

"I just give all the glory to God for the blessings he's continued to place upon my family and I," Oturu said Tuesday. "It's truly an honor. It'll be great to compete on a big stage like that. It should be a lot of fun."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...akes-nike-summit-world-select-team/478696873/

Go Gophers!!

Daniel has been replaced on the Nike Summit World Select team (tonight ESPN2) due to an injury, does anyone know the what it is and how serious question?

Daniel has been replaced on the Nike Summit World Select team (tonight ESPN2) due to an injury, does anyone know the what it is and how serious question?

I believe he injured his shoulder, but haven't heard about the severity. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

I hope this isn't a lingering issue.

Per Shooter:

Pssst: Look for Daniel Oturu, the 6-foot-10, 220-pound Cretin-Derham Hall basketball star who has signed with the Gophers, to soon undergo surgery on his right shoulder, then begin rehabilitation. Oturu, a shot-blocking artist who has been expected to play for the Gophers as a freshman next season, hurt the shoulder blocking a shot during recent Hoops Summit workouts in Portland, Ore.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...ll-vikings-danielle-hunter-get-franchise-tag/

Go Gophers!!

I hope this isn't a lingering issue.

Per Shooter:

Pssst: Look for Daniel Oturu, the 6-foot-10, 220-pound Cretin-Derham Hall basketball star who has signed with the Gophers, to soon undergo surgery on his right shoulder, then begin rehabilitation. Oturu, a shot-blocking artist who has been expected to play for the Gophers as a freshman next season, hurt the shoulder blocking a shot during recent Hoops Summit workouts in Portland, Ore.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...ll-vikings-danielle-hunter-get-franchise-tag/

Go Gophers!!

There hasn't been anything from Fuller on this.

Top Bottom