marcus asks if gopher athletics should address how athletes feel about police

Her boyfriend was just shot and killed by a cop for no reason. No offense, but what do you expect to be going thru her mind?

No offense, but how do you know he was shot for no reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very fair points. I think if Claeys sits down with his players, and maybe he should, part of it should reaffirm confidence in our police force. Maybe
bring in some officers, of all ethnicity to talk one on one with the team and field questions and concerns. I think the most Claeys can do, like any parent, is to try to reiterate that all they can do is just be respectful, compliant and cooperative. Sometimes other things are just out of their hands, but just to be the good young men that they are.
My rant was just mostly that i'm just so sick and tired of the instant presumption of guilt on officers when they're involved in a shooting like this. I've never been a cop, I served in the army, but it's not the same thing and I dont know the world they live in, what they deal with day in and day out. Everyone i've talked to that are criticizing of things like this, never have been a cop either. In all honesty I would never want to be a cop, I dont know how I could live through a world of crime like they do then come home to a family and be a husband, wife or parent in a normal sense. To me cops are superhuman and people get so quick to judge and label them racist or murderers. In the case of Mr Castile, we have no idea what lead to officer pulling out his service weapon and shooting him. But as one person noted, cop incidents are up, but so is violence in general, and obvious that goes hand in hand.
Cause and effect, the more crime, murders and times cops are called to situations where criminals use weapons to kill others, that finger gets a little more tighter on that trigger. They have families too, cops get killed on duty too. What's the answer? It's all just so pitifully sad.

Fair points as well. I have experienced good and bad policing. Almost got shot by a police officer that was in pursuit of a suspect. I was sitting in my car for a few minutes and as I got out of my car, I saw an policeman headed in my direction. Lucky for me the officer followed textbook procedure by leading with his flashlight and not just shooting at me/ in my direction. He motioned for me to be quiet and went on his way.

The other time kind of sucked because an officer pulled my friend over. He had my friend walk back with him to the car. I thought that was odd since I had only seen officers have people sit in their own car while the cop takes the driver's license back to the squad car. Anyway, as I attempt to turn down the radio so I could hear what is being said, the policeman pulls out his pistol and points it to my friends head. Then he shouts" Tell your friend to put his hands where I can see them".

All that because I saw my friend legally turn into a businesses lot to turn around. No moving violation, no loitering, all lights were functioning. No reason whatsoever to pull him over in the first place.

What if his shaking hand squeezed the trigger? I would have had a dead friend. This story is what makes me relate to their concerns. I was the players age at the time and like them played football, so I had good size and was in shape. A situation like that can be scary, because you could be doing everything right and still even the slightest miscalculation could kill you or a friend/ loved one.

Absolutely, the U should help these young men become highly educated about their rights and their responsibilities, about arrest procedures and due process, etc, etc. There should be presentations by police officers or other law enforcement experts about what their job is about, what their decision making process is, how they're trained to respond under different circumstances, and what can go right and wrong during law enforcement actions.

And there should be information about careers in law enforcement. No joke. We would be so much better off if intelligent, educated, strong, healthy young men of color were interested in getting involved and helping to straighten out the bent law enforcement establishment.

An athletic program that cares about its athletes can make a big difference in their life trajectory after school.

Though I could think of several officers that would be happy to give that talk/ presentation from St. Paul alone, It is sad to think that Brandon Hall, should have been that guy. That was one of the things Hall was considering after graduation. I remember reading that, but couldn't find the article.

I did find this article:

http://www.mitchalbom.com/a-son-dies-and-a-mother-struggles-on/

From the article:
"A kid who beat academic peril and who beat the Detroit streets and who won a college scholarship and who once wrote a paper for a conflict management course that contained this sentence: “At any given point, you can be confronted with conflict; it is up to you how you handle it.""

The police don't need defending from people. They're armed and protected by the criminal justice system and their blue walls of silence. The so called 'good' police are at the very least complicit and for being such 'good' people they remain deathly silent when one of their murders those they're supposed to protect. A man was killed and some folks are worried more about defending those that killed him then the fact that black men and women throughout this country are legitimately terrified of any encounter with those supposedly sworn to protect us. Shows who's lives you value more.

The police don't need defending from people. They're armed and protected by the criminal justice system and their blue walls of silence. The so called 'good' police are at the very least complicit and for being such 'good' people they remain deathly silent when one of their murders those they're supposed to protect. A man was killed and some folks are worried more about defending those that killed him then the fact that black men and women throughout this country are legitimately terrified of any encounter with those supposedly sworn to protect us. Shows who's lives you value more.

Unfortunately it will take much to get people to see your point of true honor. The recording made by the girlfriend may just be that first step. Then again, I think the officer in South Carolina caught on cell phone video might still be a free man...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Walter_Scott

I thought it was pretty clear using rational thought, just down the street in any direction from the U,
there's dozens of homicides and hundreds of shootings that weren't inflicted by police...
...but they're now scared because of a video that DOES NOT show the shooting and the reasons why.

We now live in a world where facebook, twitter and youtube are the facts and we don't wait for real facts
to come out. We no longer have the presumption of innocence and if a cop kills a black guy, it's INSTANTLY
racism, and the cop is a murderer, and NOTHING ELSE. Correct me if i'm wrong, perhaps I am, but is there
another video of Philando Castile actually being shot and what occurred leading up to that? Or just the rather
calm narration of the girlfriend after the incident happened?

My point was, there are murders and shootings all around in MPLS, and they didn't seem to be worried about that at all.
They're are shootings and homicides downtown (Brandon Hall mind you), that occur outside of nightclubs that I know
a lot of these players attend, i've seen them DT, but they're not "legit worried" about that.

And Marcus thinks the U should hold a meeting to address these concerns, about a cop, in Falcon Heights..

Just don't really know how to respond. So why did it take 4 lethal shots to decrease the perceived threat? Killing an individual is not the only way to eliminate the threat. So why didn't the officer immediately administer first aide? Why did he pull his gun, have you ever been had a gun pointed at you for a broken tail light? Why didn't his training prepare him for a situation like this?

There is a true sense of legitimate fear when those that are suppose to protect us can kill you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only thing I would change about your quote is to add that SOME of the police are an issue right now. The problem with incidents like this and the others that have occurred is that ALL police get painted as racist murderers when the true percentage is probably very small. It is the same thing with muslims and terrorism. The percentage of terrorist or evil muslims is small but because of their actions there are a large percentage of people that paint all muslims with the same brush (one of those people is currently running for president). There is such a rush to make broad sweeping generalizations about groups of people based on the actions of a small percentage.

Even in this case, the girlfriend is out there shouting that all police are out to get black people which is not fair to the large percentage of officers that are not racist and are already doing a really tough job that just gets harder every time something like this happens.

Obviously, there are some incompetent cops that are tarnishing the reputation of all cops. But there seems to be a much bigger systemic problem with either the training, procedures, attitude or whatever with our law enforcement system. It was just on the news that the guy who was killed had something like 78 tickets/violations/etc ( I can't remember the correct terms) and that about 45 were thrown out and the others were like seatbelt/ parking/ etc.. mostly minor things. And now he gets pulled over for a tail light... Sounds like a lot of nuisance, harassment going on here. How many of you have been written up 80 times before you turn 33 and that doesn't include the ones they didn't write up! Most of us just can't comprehend the level of scrutiny that some others have deal with on a day to day basis.

Just don't really know how to respond. So why did it take 4 lethal shots to decrease the perceived threat? Killing an individual is not the only way to eliminate the threat. So why didn't the officer immediately administer first aide? Why did he pull his gun, have you ever been had a gun pointed at you for a broken tail light? Why didn't his training prepare him for a situation like this?

There is a true sense of legitimate fear when those that are suppose to protect us can kill you!

How do you know it was 4 shots? Do you have evidence of this, or just by the testimonial on the recording by the girlfriend?
Watch the whole thing, during that she said, 4, 3 or 4-5 shots. But in the video I only saw one bullet wound to his arm, she also
noted he was shot in the arm. The arm that may or may not have been reaching for a gun. You, me and everybody else doesn't know.
Are you a trained law enforcement officer?
Have you see ANY video prior to or during the shooting itself?
Have the police released that information or any evidence upon finalizing the investigation?

I strongly recommend that you take a seat, as I am, and sit back and wait for the actual evidence, the body cam, the squad cam
and any other witnesses or officers to come to fruition before judging either the officer or Mr Castile.

I have respect for police and the job they have to do, but this guy is no different than the Orlando shooter. I apologize if further evidence refutes the facts, but as of now he is a cold-blooded killer. Being in a police uniform doesn't give you any more rights to kill than anybody else. This thug needs to go to prison for his heinous crime. The guy was murdered basically for having a gun - where are the KKK...err, I mean NRA rushing to his defense?

Obviously, there are some incompetent cops that are tarnishing the reputation of all cops. But there seems to be a much bigger systemic problem with either the training, procedures, attitude or whatever with our law enforcement system. It was just on the news that the guy who was killed had something like 78 tickets/violations/etc ( I can't remember the correct terms) and that about 45 were thrown out and the others were like seatbelt/ parking/ etc.. mostly minor things. And now he gets pulled over for a tail light... Sounds like a lot of nuisance, harassment going on here. How many of you have been written up 80 times before you turn 33 and that doesn't include the ones they didn't write up! Most of us just can't comprehend the level of scrutiny that some others have deal with on a day to day basis.

His legal violations are public record, just type in name.

http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/Search.aspx?ID=100

Only reason why I note this is, he may not have had a license to reach into
his pocket to retrieve for the officer. Lots of traffic violations..
A friend got pulled over twice for speeding in 2 mos, both no proof of ins. and lost her DL
for 6 mos...

I have respect for police and the job they have to do, but this guy is no different than the Orlando shooter. I apologize if further evidence refutes the facts, but as of now he is a cold-blooded killer. Being in a police uniform doesn't give you any more rights to kill than anybody else. This thug needs to go to prison for his heinous crime. The guy was murdered basically for having a gun - where are the KKK...err, I mean NRA rushing to his defense?

fdddd.jpg :rolleyes:

Her boyfriend was just shot and killed by a cop for no reason. No offense, but what do you expect to be going thru her mind?

Assume you watched the video of what happened as described by the girlfriend and came to this conclusion.

In the end that version of events may be true but we don't know that for sure as of now.

Unfortunately it will take much to get people to see your point of true honor. The recording made by the girlfriend may just be that first step. Then again, I think the officer in South Carolina caught on cell phone video might still be a free man...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Walter_Scott

Not really. He's under house arrest until his Federal trial starts in late Oct.
Hard to justify this shooting... shot in back running away from officer. There are many, many good police officers, but there are bad apples too:
https://vimeo.com/124336782

One thing that would be really nice is if people would stop saying that he got shot for having a tail light out. He was only pulled over for having a tail light out. According to the cop, he was shot because the cop thought he was reaching for a gun.

2 cops shot in Dallas

Terrible.

Too little known yet. Violence sucks.

What scares me about this situation, is this may end up being a Timothy McVeigh type of situation. I remember early on, all talk in Oklahoma was that this had to be the act of a foreign terrorist.[video]http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Protests-in-Dallas-Over-Alton-Sterling-Death-385784431.html[/video]

10 Police shot 3 dead. As many as five in surgery. Unknown if civilans have been shot. SWAT negiotiating with possibly two snipers. Snipers were in elevated positions. Peaceful Protest was about to disband

That this cop is evil and he should go to jail for a long time?

Well something should happen to this policeman or whatever you want to call him. He needs to be held accountable big time and this is coming from a white guy.

Well something should happen to this policeman or whatever you want to call him. He needs to be held accountable big time and this is coming from a white guy.

And what evidence do you have to support that claim? Being white, black, brown or purple with green polka dots, means nothing..

"Well something should happen to this policeman or whatever you want to call him. He needs to be held accountable big time and this is coming from a white guy."

Are you sure this wasn't a cop assisted suicide before you judge? Did you listen to what the girlfriend said? She told the Mpls paper she didn't film the shooting because it would have been too violent. (Already knew there was going to be a shooting?) She was more upset about not being feed like they told her she would be then of about seeing her boyfriend shot. Calmly started broadcasting from the incident and lack of normal response after seeing something so violent makes me wonder. She is not distraught and has all the answers to the questions. Where was the concern for her daughter in the car right after the shooting? Filming was more important? Staged? I don't know but I will wait for the results of the BCA before I judge.

Wow....all people of color better stay away from you. Who knows what you'll do for no reason.

The officers should be tried if the evidence supports it. As of now we don't know the facts in the recent incidents. It's clear some people cannot handle the pressures of being a LEO. And, oftentimes the police are not good at policing themselves.

OTOH, people need to stop being assholes. We seem to have completely lost the ability to see events from other perspectives, or even try. Emotional arguments and activists are dominating the conversation. Some should be brought up on charges for inciting riots. Where are the leaders?

How do you know it was 4 shots? Do you have evidence of this, or just by the testimonial on the recording by the girlfriend?
Watch the whole thing, during that she said, 4, 3 or 4-5 shots. But in the video I only saw one bullet wound to his arm, she also
noted he was shot in the arm. The arm that may or may not have been reaching for a gun. You, me and everybody else doesn't know.
Have the police released that information or any evidence upon finalizing the investigation?

I strongly recommend that you take a seat, as I am, and sit back and wait for the actual evidence, the body cam, the squad cam
and any other witnesses or officers to come to fruition before judging either the officer or Mr Castile.

Of course none of us have been able to count the exact number of bullet holes, but the ones that hit him were lethal enough to kill him on the scene. I am not a forensic expert, but I assume it takes more than one shot in the arm to immediately kill a person.

Our initial reactions about the situation may not be the same, but you are really fishing to find reasons not to understand some other people's response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a 4 yr old in the backseat and the officer kept his gun pointed in the car for the duration of the aftermath video instead of disarming the guy who was bleeding out and administering first aid.

I know that all cops aren't this bad at their job, but just once I would like other cops to point out the bad behavior of their peers. Instead they are silent. Calling out the bad eggs might actually prevent these tragedies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Terrible.

Too little known yet. Violence sucks.

What scares me about this situation, is this may end up being a Timothy McVeigh type of situation. I remember early on, all talk in Oklahoma was that this had to be the act of a foreign terrorist.[video]http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Protests-in-Dallas-Over-Alton-Sterling-Death-385784431.html[/video]

10 Police shot 3 dead. As many as five in surgery. Unknown if civilans have been shot. SWAT negiotiating with possibly two snipers. Snipers were in elevated positions. Peaceful Protest was about to disband

This was a racist killers situation.

This is one reason I support always on body cams for cops. It allows there to be an unbiased account of what happened. No more relying on "The cop said this happened, but one eyewitness says this, and another says this, and none of them agree".

Either way, when a officer kills someone in the line of duty I think two things should happen:
1. The situation should be treated like any other homicide, and a full fledged investigation should happen.
2. Immediate leave for the officer until the investigation is over. Whether it is paid or not can be a situational decision.

This was a racist killers situation.
I was going off of what was or wasnot known last night. I could be wrong, but it still appears that the shooter had no ties to the protest.

There was talk of McVeigh having issues with race as well.

Top Bottom