Summer practice player updates

GameDay

Reaction score
First and foremost before any of the updates, I'd just like to acknowledge Ryan James and what a great job he did at Rivals as he's making the move over to join Ryan Burns at Scout as of tomorrow.

Anyways, brief player updates from practice (from a non-Pitino standpoint)....

Curry- Surprisingly, Curry not Coffey has been the most impactful freshman in practices so far. Players are VERY excited about what he's going to be able to do. Came into camp with some great size for the power forward position and he's playing very confidently so far. Has had a plan of attack and shown good skills so far in practice. Gopher fans should be VERY excited about what he's going to be able to bring.

Coffey- Great passer so far in practice and has been setting up teammates very well. Not looking to score enough, but the sense is that it will come in time.

Hurt- Has been as expected in practices so far. Hasn't shown anything too special yet, but he's holding up just fine and competing.

Davonte- Great size and easily one of the most talented on the team. Has a good shot... sometimes he gets in his own way and makes things more complicated for himself within the scheme of the play. Needs to "simplify" his game. Should be a great weapon for the team regardless.

Dupree- Echoing what Pitino has said... he has definitely improved in the offseason. He understands the game much better and his shot has been looking good. Still needs to add some weight.

First and foremost before any of the updates, I'd just like to acknowledge Ryan James and what a great job he did at Rivals as he's making the move over to join Ryan Burns at Scout as of tomorrow.

Anyways, brief player updates from practice (from a non-Pitino standpoint)....

Curry- Surprisingly, Curry not Coffey has been the most impactful freshman in practices so far. Players are VERY excited about what he's going to be able to do. Came into camp with some great size for the power forward position and he's playing very confidently so far. Has had a plan of attack and shown good skills so far in practice. Gopher fans should be VERY excited about what he's going to be able to bring.

Coffey- Great passer so far in practice and has been setting up teammates very well. Not looking to score enough, but the sense is that it will come in time.

Hurt- Has been as expected in practices so far. Hasn't shown anything too special yet, but he's holding up just fine and competing.

Davonte- Great size and easily one of the most talented on the team. Has a good shot... sometimes he gets in his own way and makes things more complicated for himself within the scheme of the play. Needs to "simplify" his game. Should be a great weapon for the team regardless.

Dupree- Echoing what Pitino has said... he has definitely improved in the offseason. He understands the game much better and his shot has been looking good. Still needs to add some weight.

Thanks for the update, great to hear especially re Curry. Would be huge if he can be a solid contributor this year and help with front-court depth. Could even run some small ball shifting Curry or Murphy to center now that we have more length and (hopefully) rebounding on the wing.

Update is much appreciated. Nice to actually talk about basketball again. Sounds like Coffey and Curry will both contribute as freshmen. I'm starting to get hyped again that this year's team will indeed be a massive improvement over last year's and that a tournament bid and a finish in the top half of the conference may be within reach.

Update is much appreciated. Nice to actually talk about basketball again. Sounds like Coffey and Curry will both contribute as freshmen. I'm starting to get hyped again that this year's team will indeed be a massive improvement over last year's and that a tournament bid and a finish in the top half of the conference may be within reach.
Pollyanna. [emoji66]

Pitino said he was getting some Murphy vibes from Curry, so this is the second positive report on Curry. Hope he is as solid as reported. Could be a fun year.

Thanks for sharing this. Curious if you've seen the team scrimmage and who is playing point opposite Nate Mason during scrimmages?

Nm. I really need to wake up before posting. I thought I was in a different thread entirely. Must get coffee. [emoji477] [emoji477] [emoji477]

Grapevine is saying as of today, starters would probably be Mason, McBrayer, Coffey, Murphy, and Lynch. Lots of competition for Coffey's starting spot though. And this is the projection without Springs in the mix, since he is still finishing up summer classes.

Dupree- Echoing what Pitino has said... he has definitely improved in the offseason. He understands the game much better and his shot has been looking good.

This is what you hope for in the off season. Good news!

thx for the update gameday, appreciated.

any insight into how the big men looked? is there any sign of improvement with either konate or gaston? even a tiny bit, please?

thx for the update gameday, appreciated.

any insight into how the big men looked? is there any sign of improvement with either konate or gaston? even a tiny bit, please?

Front court depth chart is looking like Lynch and Murphy as the starters. Curry (is 6'9 and built for freshman) and Konate as the back ups and Gaston the back up to the back ups.

Front court depth chart is looking like Lynch and Murphy as the starters. Curry (is 6'9 and built for freshman) and Konate as the back ups and Gaston the back up to the back ups.

I'm probably assuming too much of Lynch and Curry, but man that sounds like a pretty solid front court to me. And they really just need to be okay and our guards should be able to win some games for us. I really can't wait to see what this team can do. Tourney or bust!

Thanks for sharing this. Curious if you've seen the team scrimmage and who is playing point opposite Nate Mason during scrimmages?
I would guess when Mason is on the floor he directs the team. When he's not on the floor it's whoever has the ball.

Springs, if not starting at the 2 guard, is likely our 6th man coming on for one of our guard/wings. I could easily see a rotation where Mason starts, is the first to get a spell and starts a rotation of Springs, Coffey, McBrayer Fitz and Mason getting minutes at our 3 guard/wing positions. When Mason is on the bench, Springs and McBrayer would need to be on the court to give 2 non freshman ball handlers.

Just a guess/how I would play it without seeing Coffey's ability first hand.

Excited to see what's to come. Hoping this Lynch thing gets cleared up soon and no more distractions this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just curious, what is GameDay's relationship to the team? Or are practices available for the public now?

Top Bottom