2016 Pro-Am

stroms7

Reaction score
It looks like a new Pro-Am has been created. And no, it isn't run by Royce; but he is on a team. Details can be found here: http://www.twincitiesproam.com/

It appears to be a pretty good mix of talent, some old Pulley Pro-Amers and some new blood as well.

Thanks for posting. Interesting that Jarvis Johnson is playing.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for posting. Interesting that Jarvis Johnson is playing.

Go Gophers!!

From what I hear, he plays all the time... full tilt. Keeping him off the court for the Gophers is about liability, it's not saving his life.

Good to see Diggs is in charge, lots of good players. Would be awesome if Tyus gets a couple other wolves to come from time to time.

It's not going to be the same as when it was at the Sal, when the gophers played or when you could watch the HP kids go up aginst current college players and pros, but I'm glad it back to some degree.

I know Jarvis is on a roster, but I don't think he has been playing.

I know Jarvis is on a roster, but I don't think he has been playing.

Wrong. He's playing right now and has been all year.

Mbakwe and Royce are matched up too.

Curry is in the stands and looks much stronger than I thought from photos.

Rosters are off or incomplete, lots of players not here...

Jarvis, Hollins, Mbakwe vs Royce, Kwadzo Ahelegbe , ​Moses Ehambe currently.

Playoffs though, worth watching IMO.

Rosters are off... Jarvis, Hollins, Mbakwe vs Royce and Co.

Oh, well if the rosters aren't accurate then that explains it. I know he wasn't playing all year on the roster he was listed on when I checked.

All eyes were on Johnson when he had the ball. The 6-foot-1 guard dropped a few jumpers, finished layups strong after fouls and looked a lot like the player who won four state titles with the Islanders in high school.

He's not medically cleared to play for the Gophers by U doctors because of a heart condition.

But his personal doctors gave him the OK to play in the summer league. Minnesota basketball coach Richard Pitino didn't stop him because he's not technically considered a Division I scholarship athlete (otherwise he couldn't play because the league isn't NCAA certified).

So Johnson showed up. And he had a blast.

"I played in about 8-9 games in the Pro Am," he said. "I felt good. It was fun."

The future for Johnson's college playing career is uncertain. As long as he's with the Gophers, he most likely will remain just a spectator. There might be options to transfer. But his family is grateful for the scholarship and having him home right now.

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Jarvis and his family know the risks and want him to play.

His own doctors have cleared him to play.

He played how many years in HS without any problems, so the school cleared him.

He's played this summer with no problems.

I think the U should reconsider.

When Hank Gathers died, LMU played at about 140 miles an hour. They averaged 122 pts per game and full court pressed from tip-off to final whistle with Gathers playing most of the minutes. That is a lot of stress to put on one's heart.

Now if the Gophers played Jarvis and limited his minutes to less than 20 per game and no longer than an 8 minute shift, wouldn't you lower the stress on his heart considerably and make it safe for him to play?

Top Bottom