Kaler comments on men's BB program

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
U of M President Eric Kaler was a guest on the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave on Sunday.

He covered a lot of areas, including the AD search, fund-raising, new TV contracts, the success of non-revenue sports, academic progress - but also made some comments on the men's BB program.

Wasn't taking notes but going from memory:

said something to effect that, If you want to be a strong program, the last thing you want to do is to change coaches every few years.

said he feels Pitino can be a good coach and make MN a winning program. Discussed the buyout (amount goes down each year), and noted that Pitino's salary ranks him 3rd from the bottom in the B1G - which Kaler said was appropriate given his resume to date.

Also talked about off-court issues. Dave Mona said when Coyle was hired, Kaler seemed to be sending a message with his comments about issues in program. Kaler said (quoting) "I believe that message has been delivered and received."

That's what I recall.

Yes, I believe your message has been delivered and received.

Kaler sucks. So does Pitino. Getting rid of both would be a dream package deal.

I Agree

Prepare to be disappointed as I think Pitino will excel

Richard will succeed with some luck. He has gone through a lot of adversity in the past 12 months...A lotta you gotta be kiddin' me's that he has had very little control over in his life.
Kaler is an idiot. Shut up with your bluster to the media, it just perpetuates the story. If you want to be a tough guy, deliver your message to the basketball team in person, not to microphones. Support your employees, but especially in public stop with the whole get off my lawn shtick.

Richard will succeed with some luck. He has gone through a lot of adversity in the past 12 months...A lotta you gotta be kiddin' me's that he has had very little control over in his life.
Kaler is an idiot. Shut up with your bluster to the media, it just perpetuates the story. If you want to be a tough guy, deliver your message to the basketball team in person, not to microphones. Support your employees, but especially in public stop with the whole get off my lawn shtick.

"If you want to be a strong program, the last thing you want to do is to change coaches every few years"
"the last thing you want to do is to change coaches every few years"

Seems like Richard is getting the amount of support he deserves. Kaler's job is partly to represent the U which is why he was on, I presume. Seems to be answering questions honestly which is what people in his position are expected to do.

On the other hand, you calling the president of a major university with his academic credentials an "idiot" is ironic beyond belief. Matter of fact it's idiotic.

Based on?

he does seem to possess that rare gift to piss both sides of the aisle off, no matter how you feel about Pitino or athletics at the U in general. Although I'll say he has been the most supportive of athletics than any past President in my twentyish years of being a gopher fan

he does seem to possess that rare gift to piss both sides of the aisle off, no matter how you feel about Pitino or athletics at the U in general. Although I'll say he has been the most supportive of athletics than any past President in my twentyish years of being a gopher fan

The biggest problem is that many here seem to think that athletics is the only thing that Kaler is responsible for, when in reality that's maybe 5% of his job.

The biggest problem is that many here seem to think that athletics is the only thing that Kaler is responsible for, when in reality that's maybe 5% of his job.

I have no beef with Kaler, but I think I'm in the minority here. He actually seems to get that the Athletic Dept. does matter.
I get that Teague was a poor hire.

Based on?

Athletics and the lying and coverup regarding the Markingson case and the rest of the many problems in that department as pointed out by Arne Carlson and others.

I could go on. But that is enough to warrant his firing.

We just rarely agree

"If you want to be a strong program, the last thing you want to do is to change coaches every few years"
"the last thing you want to do is to change coaches every few years"

Seems like Richard is getting the amount of support he deserves. Kaler's job is partly to represent the U which is why he was on, I presume. Seems to be answering questions honestly which is what people in his position are expected to do.

[B]On the other hand, you calling the president of a major university with his academic credentials an "idiot" is ironic beyond belief. Matter of fact it's idiotic.
[/B]
My life wouldn't be complete without your dissenting opinion to any stance I take. Foolish, is you thinking wisdom comes from "academic credentials". Silly, is your stance you can't be honest and supportive at the same time as an administrator.

I can hear you now: "Son, listen to your coach, he's an idiot but you gotta listen to him he's your coach." Seems to me that's support to you? "the last thing you want to do is to change coaches every few years" is not support imo It is short sighted and threatening. It's what you say after you fire someone, followed by we had no choice. It's not the words of effective support while someone is still employed or an answer to make the public believe you have any idea what you are doing as President. Maybe if he followed that up with, "You know, I made a mistake. I approved Richard's buyout at a ridiculous amount. And now we need to wait and see what happens this coming season." That's not support, but that's honest if you want honest. And then I'd work my way towards respecting him for being accountable and soften my comments. But if your quotes of his work for you and that's fine. We just disagree.

Athletics and the lying and coverup regarding the Markingson case and the rest of the many problems in that department as pointed out by Arne Carlson and others.

I could go on. But that is enough to warrant his firing.

So an historically mediocre athletic program continues to be mediocre, and a horrible, tragic incident involving a mentally ill man taking his own life occurs 7 years before Kaler became president? String him up! And if you ignore all of the positive things happening under his watch (record academic profiles for incoming student populations, record fundraising, ever-increasing profile nationally and internationally, etc., etc.), all the more convenient, because those things don't matter anyway.

And who gives a damn what Arne Carlson thinks? It's easy to throw stones when you've been retired almost 20 years and have nothing to lose and no skin in the game. He met Kaler once, and Kaler didn't show the proper subservience or kiss his ring, so he was going to use his bully pulpit to show everyone that his feelings were hurt and let everyone know just what an incompetent buffoon Eric Kaler is. I personally would love to know what Al Quie and Wendy Anderson think of Kaler before I render my judgment.:rolleyes:

So an historically mediocre athletic program continues to be mediocre, and a horrible, tragic incident involving a mentally ill man taking his own life occurs 7 years before Kaler became president? String him up! And if you ignore all of the positive things happening under his watch (record academic profiles for incoming student populations, record fundraising, ever-increasing profile nationally and internationally, etc., etc.), all the more convenient, because those things don't matter anyway.

And who gives a damn what Arne Carlson thinks? It's easy to throw stones when you've been retired almost 20 years and have nothing to lose and no skin in the game. He met Kaler once, and Kaler didn't show the proper subservience or kiss his ring, so he was going to use his bully pulpit to show everyone that his feelings were hurt and let everyone know just what an incompetent buffoon Eric Kaler is. I personally would love to know what Al Quie and Wendy Anderson think of Kaler before I render my judgment.:rolleyes:

Good spin and oversimplification by you.

Yes, he should be fired for both of the reasons I cited. If you care to know more, then PM me. There's no reason to completely derail the thread or go down this obnoxious rabbit hole.

Good spin and oversimplification by you.

Yes, he should be fired for both of the reasons I cited. If you care to know more, then PM me. There's no reason to completely derail the thread or go down this obnoxious rabbit hole.

If I care to "know more". Ok, Mr. Insider.

Probably 5% tops. The only people whose opinions he needs to be concerned with our the Board of Regents.

Top Bottom