Donnell Greene Commits

Another way to look at it is it a big difference from what Coach Kill had on the field ... I like Coach Cleays style better , I think ..

This has probably been covered, but I haven't read the whole thing. I'd guess the reason they've gone heavy on the OL with Jucos has a lot to do with a pretty high number of OL that have had to quit football due to injury/concussions.

Guess at first string:

LT Green 6'7" 345
LG Wright 6'4" 320
C Moore 6'4" 305
RG Calhoun 6'4" 330
RT Pirsig 6'9" 325

Avg: 6'5" 325

For comparison's sake, the Vikings' projected starting OL this fall averages 6'6" 312.

Wow! That should help create some running room!

Does anyone think we'll see some O linemen transferring out, because of the changing schemes or coaches? Or would that have already happened?

Guess at first string:

LT Greene 6'7" 345
LG Wright 6'4" 320
C Moore 6'4" 305
RG Calhoun 6'4" 330
RT Pirsig 6'9" 325

Avg: 6'5" 325

For comparison's sake, the Vikings' projected starting OL this fall averages 6'6" 312.

Has Greene played any LT? Looked like his JUCO highlights were all at RT but that's by no means comprehensive.

Does anyone think we'll see some O linemen transferring out, because of the changing schemes or coaches? Or would that have already happened?

My guess is that will happen unless they are here for the education only..

Has Greene played any LT? Looked like his JUCO highlights were all at RT but that's by no means comprehensive.
Wasn't Wright at LT in the Spring, he looked pretty good. Also I think Connor Mayes will remain in the starting five. I think Greene will be in the two deeps this year, but by adding him it makes out two deeps stronger, I think we need 8-10 guys that we can feel comfortable with starting in order to have the year we want to have. Are we still going after the Baylor kid? I don't view Greene as a typical JUCO as he will have three years remaining

JUCOs and prep school players pepper the rosters of most schools. Gus Malzahn signed six in his first class at Auburn. Kansas state signed 70 between 2006-2012, although the Pac-12 and SEC tend to sign the most. Glancing at Iowa's roster they have at least five; sometimes the prep school names are obscure but Fork Union Military Academy is represented. Kansas State currently has nine JUCOs.

I believe we are up to 7 or 8 now. Nothing extraordinary vs many rosters, and these guys have matured, are more ready to play, and will have a more predictable career arc vs an underdeveloped project out of high school. Donnell Greene looks like a steal.

And that is not the norm for this staff. Most years we've signed 1-3 Jucos. I don't expect us to sign this many most years.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see the implementation of some 6 OL packages with this many guys looking able to contribute now. Would love it if we can ice a game offensively with an 8 minute TD drive and not have to always rely on the D to get a late stop. OL like this go a long way in helping that

Wouldn't be surprised if we see the implementation of some 6 OL packages with this many guys looking able to contribute now. Would love it if we can ice a game offensively with an 8 minute TD drive and not have to always rely on the D to get a late stop. OL like this go a long way in helping that

Tackle eligible U!

Wasn't Wright at LT in the Spring, he looked pretty good. Also I think Connor Mayes will remain in the starting five. I think Greene will be in the two deeps this year, but by adding him it makes out two deeps stronger, I think we need 8-10 guys that we can feel comfortable with starting in order to have the year we want to have. Are we still going after the Baylor kid? I don't view Greene as a typical JUCO as he will have three years remaining

Sounds plausible. If that's the case I'm guessing 2 deeps would look something like:

LT - Wright, Connelly
LG - Calhoun, Weyler(?)
C - Moore, Leidner
RG - Mayes, Dovich(?)
RT - Pirsig, Greene

Autry would certainly help the interior depth.

Sounds plausible. If that's the case I'm guessing 2 deeps would look something like:

LT - Wright, Connelly
LG - Calhoun, Weyler(?)
C - Moore, Leidner
RG - Mayes, Dovich(?)
RT - Pirsig, Greene

I think you have Calhoun and Mayes reversed, with Pirsig a Sr, it makes sense that Greene lines up on the right side. Other than that it looks pretty good. Next year Greene probably steps in at RT with Rasmussen as the back up.

LT - Wright, Connelly
LG - Calhoun, Weyler(?)
C - Moore, Leidner
RG - Mayes, Dovich(?)
RT - Pirsig, Greene

I wouldn't forget about Chad Fahning either. Some are high on him to get decent PT and sub/fill in for injuries

I think you have Calhoun and Mayes reversed, with Pirsig a Sr, it makes sense that Greene lines up on the right side. Other than that it looks pretty good. Next year Greene probably steps in at RT with Rasmussen as the back up.

Quinn Oseland could be in the mix at tackle as well only a RS frosh. The JUCOs allow these guys more time to develop and to redshirt the incoming frosh

I'm guessing some attrition will occur at the bottom of the totem pole. There are a LOT of O-linemen on scholarship all the sudden & we are trying to add one more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is all very good news. It all shows that Claeys isn't messing around in trying to put together the best team he can field.

This really has nothing to do with the quality of the freshman. It takes a few years for a high schooler to grow into being a B1G starting lineman. This is more due to the injuries that forced many of the upperclassman to leave early and the change in mindset in the OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing some attrition will occur at the bottom of the totem pole. There are a LOT of O-linemen on scholarship all the sudden & we are trying to add one more.

Nah, there aren't that many. There are 16 total offensive linemen on the roster (not counting Greene), and at least two of those (Leidner and Kuehn) aren't on scholarship, so there are currently 14 or 15 scholarship O-linemen. You ideally should have somewhere between 17 and 20.

It's also important to remember that we lost eight scholarship O-linemen from 2015 to 2016 (Bush, Campion, Bjorklund, Christenson, Bobek, Hayes, Lauer, A. Mayes) and have currently only replaced them with five (Schlueter, Olson, Calhoun, Wright, Greene), so we still have room for three more just to get back to where we were in 2015.

Nah, there aren't that many. There are 16 total offensive linemen on the roster (not counting Greene), and at least two of those (Leidner and Kuehn) aren't on scholarship, so there are currently 14 or 15 scholarship O-linemen. You ideally should have somewhere between 17 and 20.

It's also important to remember that we lost eight scholarship O-linemen from 2015 to 2016 (Bush, Campion, Bjorklund, Christenson, Bobek, Hayes, Lauer, A. Mayes) and have currently only replaced them with five (Schlueter, Olson, Calhoun, Wright, Greene), so we still have room for three more just to get back to where we were in 2015.
Good point. I guess I didn't think of it from the standpoint, that we were playing catch-up. So these guys are figuratively(and literally) huge gets.

This is a great point. It's also worth noting that Mayes, Hayes, Bobek, and Lauer all left early. If not for injuries, all 4 of these players would/could have been in our 2 deeps this season.

Top Bottom