Donnell Greene Commits

There are many reasons that a student athlete takes the JCO path and very few of them are good.
If taking on JCO after JCO is a certain path to success and not a sign of recruiting failures why isn't the five year conference record stellar instead of miserable?

My dad talks about gas prices in Albert Lea and Clear Lake every time he drives down to Iowa to visit us. He also talks about the barking dogs in his neighborhood every time I talk to him on the phone. He also brings up the corns on his feet whenever I ask him how he is. People who repeat themselves over and over and over again are tiresome.

My dad talks about gas prices in Albert Lea and Clear Lake every time he drives down to Iowa to visit us. He also talks about the barking dogs in his neighborhood every time I talk to him on the phone. He also brings up the corns on his feet whenever I ask him how he is. People who repeat themselves over and over and over again are tiresome.

It's even more tiresome when the person doing it isn't a Gopher fan and continues to be allowed to post here.

There are many reasons that a student athlete takes the JCO path and very few of them are good.
If taking on JCO after JCO is a certain path to success and not a sign of recruiting failures why isn't the five year conference record stellar instead of miserable?

Officially iggyed! Going 4-4 and 5-3 in Kill's third and fourth years isn't miserable. Boddy-Calhoun, and Campbell were two of our best players last year and at the bottom of reasons the team went 2-6. Try to branch out and add something other than the tired and inaccurate arguments about how recruiting JC players is ruining the program

Your dad and my dad must hangout together.

People have responded to your questions about this at least 20 times already.

Officially iggyed! Going 4-4 and 5-3 in Kill's third and fourth years isn't miserable. Boddy-Calhoun, and Campbell were two of our best players last year and at the bottom of reasons the team went 2-6. Try to branch out and add something other than the tired and inaccurate arguments about how recruiting JC players is ruining the program

Nice post. Like most, I get the downside of getting too many JCs, but one has to try pretty hard to not notice how effective this coaching staff has been with evaluating JC players that can help us and handle the academic and off-field requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So let us see what the depth chart for the OL is in the fall, the academic standings. the presence or lack of off the field problems and most importantly how the OL performs in the BIG games.
I did not have questions only opinions if those opinions are right or wrong we will all know in December.
I presume some freedom of speech exists on the Gopher Hole.

So let us see what the depth chart for the OL is in the fall, the academic standings. the presence or lack of off the field problems and most importantly how the OL performs in the BIG games.
I did not have questions only opinions if those opinions are right or wrong we will all know in December.

I believe that freedom of speech also applies to us all agreeing that you're an annoying, repetitive troll.

Freedom of speech is a legal issue that has nothing to do with this topic. The point had to do with fatigue induced by the machine gun repetitiveness of your JUCO comments.

And here I thought that when you add a question mark at the end of a statement, you were asking a question. Who knew that isn't always the case?

(yes my last sentence is a question, just want to make sure everyone understands)

Hopefully we never get stranded in a boat floating aimlessly in the vast Pacific Ocean together in the same boat and starving...

The anti juco sentiment is nonsense. It is a proven place to find excellent football players. We are backfilling spots after losing a large senior class and losing a few juniors as well unfortunately. Our sophomore class is lacking and we 7 freshmen who aren't big or strong enough to take the field yet and expect positive results. So what if we plug 4 Jucos into the lineup? Seems to me someone is just trying to find fault with the program. We have hardly brought in any Jucos the past couple years and now we have larger than normal,group that should augment well into the team and help us out. We have different coaches on offense and we are thinking we want to get bigger on the dline. It makes sense with a senior QB and a solid defense to take some action to shore up an obvious weakness. The stupid thing to do would be to do nothing.

To the badger fan named olddoc, regarding our OL recruiting: I know you are against our team (not yours) recruiting guys from junior college. The fact is we have had a combination of bad luck (injuries) and bad recruiting (Limegrover) to which there really is no other option outside of filling in with Juco guys. We can do what we are doing, or go in to seasons with little depth and a bunch of underclassmen in prominent roles.

Your assertions that Jucos fail academically and commit more crimes than guys recruited out of high school is not backed by any statistics...and is very discriminatory (I'm not talking race - so the Conservative Politically Correct crowd can relax). Assuming you are a Gopher fan (which I highly doubt), what would you suggest we do to address our lack of depth on the O-line without going the Juco route? I admit our staff has failed in the building of our line - but all they can do is try to fix the mistakes of the past.

We have had so much success with Jucos with no ancillary problems that I don't see the contempt. Enlighten me - with specifics, please.

Loving our OL and loving our depth now. What a change since last year!

Coaches saw a need - and have used every avenue to fill that need.

Where I come from, that's called "Trying to Win."

If the Gophs start 22 JUCO's and win the B1G, or the Rose Bowl - anyone who comes on here and complains should be coated with honey and thrown into the bear enclosure at the zoo.

If recruiting a juco makes us a better team there is no question, we go for the player.

I'm really interested to see how the depth chart shakes out before the first game.

When was the last time we had any off field issues with Juco guys? BBC? Clean. De'Vondre? Clean and Academic All Big Ten. Damien Wilson? Was late for a meeting once. Fruechte, Poock, Roland Johnson, Rabe, Baltazar, Shabazz etc. never had any off field issues. We've had a much higher rate of off field issues with traditional HS guys than Jucos if anything.

Maybe Ge'Shun Harris or Moulton? I don't remember.

If recruiting a juco makes us a better team there is no question, we go for the player.

Exactly. If the JC guy is better than the guy who would otherwise be be playing, then it is a slam dunk. It's like building a championship NBA team with key players signed through free agency on two or three year deals instead of through the draft.

JUCOs and prep school players pepper the rosters of most schools. Gus Malzahn signed six in his first class at Auburn. Kansas state signed 70 between 2006-2012, although the Pac-12 and SEC tend to sign the most. Glancing at Iowa's roster they have at least five; sometimes the prep school names are obscure but Fork Union Military Academy is represented. Kansas State currently has nine JUCOs.

I believe we are up to 7 or 8 now. Nothing extraordinary vs many rosters, and these guys have matured, are more ready to play, and will have a more predictable career arc vs an underdeveloped project out of high school. Donnell Greene looks like a steal.

Greene was recruited by Georgia and Alabama out of HS as a 6'7" DT. Alabama took a serious look at him again as a JUCO. He took a year off to concentrate on academics at Coffeyville thus 3 years remaining. He is a big deal for us. As we coach up an improved first step he will have a real impact for us. He is huge and mature, physically and mentally.

Greene was recruited by Georgia and Alabama out of HS as a 6'7" DT. Alabama took a serious look at him again as a JUCO. He took a year off to concentrate on academics at Coffeyville thus 3 years remaining. He is a big deal for us. As we coach up an improved first step he will have a real impact for us. He is huge and mature, physically and mentally.

Plus 1.... I

Any chance he gets a look at defensive line? Or, is he purely offensive line at this point?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

If he is 6'7" and 345 what does our potential starting offensive line look like for average height and weight? It seems like we are getting bigger and beginning to be more like a Wisconsin O-line! Really need some road graders!!!

If he is 6'7" and 345 what does our potential starting offensive line look like for average height and weight? It seems like we are getting bigger and beginning to be more like a Wisconsin O-line! Really need some road graders!!!

Well Bart Miller is our offensive line coach, he coached at Wisc...

Guess at first string:

LT Greene 6'7" 345
LG Wright 6'4" 320
C Moore 6'4" 305
RG Calhoun 6'4" 330
RT Pirsig 6'9" 325

Avg: 6'5" 325

For comparison's sake, the Vikings' projected starting OL this fall averages 6'6" 312.

Top Bottom