BTN: Big Ten West receiving corps unit rankings (4. Minnesota.)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

4. Minnesota. This looks like an underrated group. Who will replace the production of KJ Maye? It could be junior tight end Brandon Lingen. Senior Drew Wolitarsky brings savvy on the edge but needs consistency. At 6-5, sophomore Rashad Still is a rangy option. Eric Carter is a diminutive target with speed. And keep an eye on sophomore Melvin Holland.

http://btn.com/2016/06/23/dienhart-big-ten-west-receiving-corps-unit-rankings/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds about right, I think Nebraska is the only unit without any question marks

We're #4? Ok....

Seems about right in the West...talent is there but execution has to be a question mark with no KJ. Really think Still will surprise and emerge as a big-time threat. He just needs to catch a couple long balls to really open up the run attack. We'll see...

We don't deserve that ranking. But there is some promise in our group. Lingen,Still,and Gentry if everyone is healthy and improves at an expected rate could be very good. Woli, Carter are just average at best guys, Register seems like a good prospect. Holland not much better option than some decent walk ons. The three in state freshman may factor in and surprise. They all have nice skill sets.

We don't deserve that ranking. But there is some promise in our group. Lingen,Still,and Gentry if everyone is healthy and improves at an expected rate could be very good. Woli, Carter are just average at best guys, Register seems like a good prospect. Holland not much better option than some decent walk ons. The three in state freshman may factor in and surprise. They all have nice skill sets.

Spot On

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ had fewer receptions his junior year than Carter did last year. Carter has looked very good and I think he's going to be a productive starter for us this year. Gentry barely played but flashed huge potential. Woli again had better stats than KJ his junior year and will be our starting X. Holland hasn't looked great thus far but has had very limited opportunities. Still has an opportunity to get better this year. Watching ULL game and plenty of spread formations- these guys will get work if Johnson chooses to continue that.

KJ had fewer receptions his junior year than Carter did last year. Carter has looked very good and I think he's going to be a productive starter for us this year. Gentry barely played but flashed huge potential. Woli again had better stats than KJ his junior year and will be our starting X. Holland hasn't looked great thus far but has had very limited opportunities. Still has an opportunity to get better this year. Watching ULL game and plenty of spread formations- these guys will get work if Johnson chooses to continue that.

IMO, the problem with expecting much from Woli or Holland is that they have demonstrated poor hands. Not impossible, but typically a tough thing to correct.

IMO, the problem with expecting much from Woli or Holland is that they have demonstrated poor hands. Not impossible, but typically a tough thing to correct.

Come on man you just send them to a camp or something like with .... Troy Williamson....

Wolitarsky has had some really bad drops, most famously in the bowl games, and will never be mistaken for Jerry Rice, Moss, or Cris Carter out there. But, he's also had some good catches and I believe he led the Big Ten in yards after catch last year. He's also a big, physical blocker and that's obviously important for springing long runs. More good than bad there. Maybe Still or Gentry will surpass him this year but I doubt it. I think he's going to have a big year.

People seem to forget KJ didn't show the greatest hands until last year. Holland...I don't know. He's got to be showing something in practice to even get on the field. He had 9 targets last year. Let's see if he improves. Very athletic.

I just want a guy who can get open on 3rd down and make the catch. We need a guy who can move the chains.

I just want a guy who can get open on 3rd down and make the catch. We need a guy who can move the chains.

I just want to not be in 3rd down situations time after time where everybody knows we need a guy who can get open and make the catch.

One thing to watch with Johnson and the new offense - I assume his play-calling philosophy and tendencies are going to be different than Limegrover. The question is how will it be different?

From comments so far, it sounds like we can expect to see more sets with 3 Wide-outs - but a more balanced attack between run and pass in the wide sets.

I just want to see a better mix of pass routes and patterns - especially more mid-range routes. It drives me nuts - going back to Mason - when every route is either a dump-off or a bomb. For the luvva pete, give me some 10- and 12-yard crossing routes, curls, and other routes the Gophers just haven't run in recent memory. If it's 3rd-and-9, you don't need to throw a 20-yard pass - you just need 9 yards for the 1st down (or maybe 10, just to be safe.). AND - if it's 3rd-and-9 - NO MORE 5-yard patterns. I don't think I have enough blood pressure medication to handle any more of those.

I think we're all interested to see what changes Johnson will bring, or if the players can absorb the changes. Kill mentioned several times they had to simplify things because the guys were thinking too much. Seems like it's as easy to confuse the offense as the defense if they get too cute.

Claeys has said he wants to get guys in space, which implies more spread concepts. But they also want to run, which IMO can be easier from a spread. Baylor is thought of as a passing spread team but they actually ran the ball for huge numbers behing big, mauling linemen. A classic pick your poison offense. I don't see us turning into a 4 wide power spread team like Baylor but who knows if that's where we're heading?

So, will getting more creative and spread open up our power game or will it confuse the guys. Maybe depends on the players. I forget who said the players determine the scheme, not the other way around. Maybe Urban Meyer his first year down in Florida. Coaching matters, teaching matters.

Top Bottom