Big Ten Network without cable/satellite

whogoofed

Reaction score
I am trying to get rid of cable/direct tv but find that to get the BTN you need to have the cable subscription. Anyone found a way around this? somewhat legit hopefully( first row "cough").

Ha, I live in CA. The few Minnesotans I know don't get BTN.

I am trying to get rid of cable/direct tv but find that to get the BTN you need to have the cable subscription. Anyone found a way around this? somewhat legit hopefully( first row "cough").

I believe Sony has a streaming service that has it, but not sure if you have to be in the B1G footprint.

I believe Sony has a streaming service that has it, but not sure if you have to be in the B1G footprint.

I tried to sign up for this as it sounds cool, but I think you have to have a Sony PS4 to activate it.

Are you talking about Playstation Vue? You can also access it through Amazon Fire and they just added Roku as an option now too. I'm very interested in trying this some day.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#1

It works with the PS3 also. I tried it for a week with their free trial. The guide part takes some getting used to, but it worked fairly well. I'm at the point where I need to decide if it's worth it to buy out of my DirecTV contract to swtich.

It works with the PS3 also. I tried it for a week with their free trial. The guide part takes some getting used to, but it worked fairly well. I'm at the point where I need to decide if it's worth it to buy out of my DirecTV contract to swtich.

I'll probably be trying it soon now that it is available for roku.

Playstation Vue

Thanks for the Vue idea. I have the Roku and the Vue is an app on there. Am trying free trial. Works great so far and of course i get the BTN. Will be about half of my direct TV bill.

I have been trying the free trial week of Vue since last Friday and am loving it so far. The top tier package is $45 instead of the $90 + taxes I've been paying for roughly the same thing from DirecTV. I'll probably be switching over before the week is out. I'm afraid of it being a bait-and-switch to pull customers over so they can jack up the rates to what I've been paying, but I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when it comes.

Anyone know what package you have to get with Playstation Vue in order to get BTN?

I have been trying the free trial week of Vue since last Friday and am loving it so far. The top tier package is $45 instead of the $90 + taxes I've been paying for roughly the same thing from DirecTV. I'll probably be switching over before the week is out. I'm afraid of it being a bait-and-switch to pull customers over so they can jack up the rates to what I've been paying, but I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when it comes.

Are you using a Roku?

Do they have the broadcast nets other than WCCO on there?

Are you using a Roku?

No, I use the PS3 or ChromeCast from my wife's iPhone. I have a Samsung cell, and an Android app is supposed to be coming this week, which I'm pumped about! A word of advice to anyone wanting to use it: get a higher grade of internet if you plan on keeping it and using it, especially for sports. Our only high-speed options where we live are CenturyLink (which we currently have) or Comcast. As much as I don't want to give those soul-sucking bastards my business, I think I'm going to have to because 12 Mbps is the max we can get through CenturyLink, and that's just not enough for this service in my experience so far.

Do they have the broadcast nets other than WCCO on there?

For us at least, they have WCCO, Fox 9, and my29. You can watch the network shows from ABC/NBC through on-demand, but you're SOL for anything live. I'm also looking into a digital antenna, basically exclusively for when the Vikes play Sunday night games.

No, I use the PS3 or ChromeCast from my wife's iPhone. I have a Samsung cell, and an Android app is supposed to be coming this week, which I'm pumped about! A word of advice to anyone wanting to use it: get a higher grade of internet if you plan on keeping it and using it, especially for sports. Our only high-speed options where we live are CenturyLink (which we currently have) or Comcast. As much as I don't want to give those soul-sucking bastards my business, I think I'm going to have to because 12 Mbps is the max we can get through CenturyLink, and that's just not enough for this service in my experience so far.

Any recording capabilities? Except for sports, I rarely watch shows live.

You do understand that HDTV is digital?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it has a cloud DVR. All you have to do is select a show once, then basically every episode of that show will be available to you to watch at your leisure.

Correct - with the caveat that the "recording" only lasts 28 days after airing.

Oh yeah. I tried it a couple of months back. At the time, they didn't have live CBS or Fox available, so they are making improvements. I'm hoping that they add History to their channel lineup at some point, as that's the only network I watch that isn't included.

That would be problematic for me. Between that and lack of carrying the broadcast networks, I don't think I will try it out just yet.

Top Bottom