TE Nathan Bursch has committed to the Gophers!

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Question - I thought new OC Johnson's system called for more spread formation looks with 3WR. How does that impact the TE position. Seems like they would have less formations with 2 (or 3) TE's on the field, so doesn't seem as if they would need as much depth at the position.

Having said that, if this kid can play and help the team, good news.

Welcome another homey who wants to be a Gopher!

Congrats! Love all of these in-state commits!

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Nathan Bursch, a consensus three-star tight end from Woodbury, became the latest in-state recruit to commit to the Gophers on Monday.

The 6-5, 235-pound Bursch also has reported offers from North Dakota, South Dakota and South Dakota State. He is the sixth player to commit to the Gophers for the Class of 2017, and the fifth from Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/woodbury-te-nathan-bursch-commits-to-gophers/383709791/

Go Gophers!!

Question - I thought new OC Johnson's system called for more spread formation looks with 3WR. How does that impact the TE position. Seems like they would have less formations with 2 (or 3) TE's on the field, so doesn't seem as if they would need as much depth at the position.

Having said that, if this kid can play and help the team, good news.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Not much of an offer sheet but I guess it is good to beat out the Dakotas for a local.

I like that they offered him after seeing him at camp, that tells me a lot. Welcome aboard!

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3410566/highlights/304482376' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love this pick up. He seems like the kind of kid we got in on before his offer list blew up. With all the talent in this class and the past couple imagine how good Woodbury could be if East Ridge hadn't opened

It seems like those commitments right after the camps are consistently good quality players.

His HS coach had good things to say about him:

"Nate has incredible feet, long arms, and a really strong base. He has an innate ability to shoot his hands into the defenders chest plate and lock on. When he was a sophomore, we had to hold him back during practice. He was putting our senior linebackers on their back over and over again during practice. As a collective unit, they didn't really like him at first because he practiced so hard. After a while, they started to respect his effort and it really changed the culture of our team."

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...ng-woodburys-nathan-bursch-commits-to-Gophers

His HS coach had good things to say about him:

"Nate has incredible feet, long arms, and a really strong base. He has an innate ability to shoot his hands into the defenders chest plate and lock on. When he was a sophomore, we had to hold him back during practice. He was putting our senior linebackers on their back over and over again during practice. As a collective unit, they didn't really like him at first because he practiced so hard. After a while, they started to respect his effort and it really changed the culture of our team."

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...ng-woodburys-nathan-bursch-commits-to-Gophers

That's fantastic

Q&A: Nathan Bursch on Excitement for Playing for U: "It will mean a lot. It will be exciting."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/762391?referrer_id=

Nathan Bursch, a 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end/tight end from Woodbury (MM) High, signed with Minnesota earlier this month.

Bursch helped lead the Royals to a 4-5 record, losing to Prior Lake 19-12 in the first round of the Class 6A playoffs.

They finished 6-3 in his junior season.

Bursch also plays basketball and has helped lead the Royals to a 17-6 mark. He is averaging 4.6 points per game

Bursch also throws the shot put and discus. He had a season-best 55-8 1.2 in the shot, winning the Section 4AA title and finished eleventh in the state with a tos to 52-11 and 122-1 feet in the discus.

Gopher Hole caught up with Bursch to learn the latest on his college choice and current basketball season.

Gopher Hole: You signed with Minnesota earlier this month. What was the feeling when you finally got that done?

Nathan Bursch: It was a really good feeling just to finally be a part fully of the team and start the process of just coming in the summer and starting to get after it.

Gopher Hole: How tough was it dealing with the uncertainty of Coach Claeys leaving and Coach Fleck being hired? You had planned on going to Minnesota for a long time, but then you had to wonder what was going to happen with you?

Nathan Bursch: It was a little bit rough, but we talked about it as a family. We were patient. I wanted to be a Gopher all along, so I sat and waited. At the beginning, I wanted Cleays, but we had actually talked about P.J. Fleck as a basketball team and his mottos, so it was kind of crazy that all of sudden he becomes my head coach here. When I finally got to meet him and have all the uncertainties taken care of, I was set and ready to sign.

Gopher Hole: What was he like as a person?

Nathan Bursch: Very exciting. Very direct. Right to the point and he is honest with you and that was a big key factor.

Gopher Hole: Had you been in contact with some of the other local Minnesota commits?

Nathan Bursch: The whole time I had been talking to Dominick London and Grant (Ryerse). We were just helping each other through it, because we were feeling all the same things and decided to stick to it. Everything turned out great.

Gopher Hole: Did that make it easier because you are all in the same area, too?

Nathan Bursch: It worked. We still only just talked over the phone, but Blaise (Andries) was talking with us, too. We had a chat. We were talking to Big E (Eric Abojei). We all still wanted to be Gophers.

Gopher Hole: You played tight end and defensive end in high school. Where are they are looking at you plying at Minnesota?

Nathan Bursch: Probably tight end or D end. I am willing to play whatever just to get on the field and help the Gophers win.

Gopher Hole: To be honest, the Gophers were a very young team this season and didn't lose a lot of seniors. Have they talked to you much about what the expectations might be as a freshman?

Nathan Bursch: I got a work book just a little bit ago and they are expecting me to be lifting all week even with basketball. I have been getting after it and lifting every morning, too and choking down food and just trying to get as big as I can.

Gopher Hole: What will it mean to put on the Gopher uniform this fall?

Nathan Bursch: It will mean a lot. It will be exciting. Finally get to hit someone, too. This basketball thing is getting a little boring, not being able to hit people.

Gopher Hole: How about the basketball? Obviously, you lost to one of the best teams in the state today in Hopkins, but you have had a pretty good year. How pleased are you with how things have gone?

Nathan Bursch: I'm pleased. I think that you'll be seeing us at Target Center through sections. We are planning on winning our conference this week and beating Cretin and East Ridge.

Gopher Hole: Is this kind of game good for you guys to get you focused on what you might have to face in the state tournament?

Nathan Bursch: I think it also a good eye-opener that we can stick with teams, even though they are about a foot taller than us, all the way around. We just have to fight. Teams better look out for us.

Gopher Hole: How about your senior season in football? You started out a little bit slow (1-3), but were playing really well towards the end of the season. How pleased were you with your senior year?

Nathan Bursch: It was a little disappointing in the playoffs. It was just a tough break, playing Prior Lake at their place right away. I was pleased, we destroyed East Ridge (47-25) and that was one of our big things we really wanted to do because it is our town and they had it coming.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on to get ready to report to camp in June?

Nathan Bursch: Lifting. Eating a ton. Running. I am going to be doing track here. Doing some sprints and stuff to make sure that I am up to speed and that everything is muscle and no fat. I'll probably be going to state for shot again and hopefully for discus.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you had a good season last year throwing. Have you seen much improvement?

Nathan Bursch: I think last year was a tough break, because I got a little overheated and now I know what I am coming into. For shot put. I think you'll see me placing in the top three, at least.

per Megan:

Nathan Bursch, a tight end out of Woodbury High School, is no longer listed on the roster, a source confirmed. The St. Paul native was a three-star recruit, according to 247Sports.com, and committed back in June of 2016.

Bursch, at 6-5, 255 pounds, redshirted in 2017 and did not play last season. He participated in spring practices this year. The redshirt sophomore likely would have struggled for playing time again this upcoming season, as he was essentially behind redshirt junior Ko Kieft, redshirt sophomore Jake Paulson, redshirt freshman Brevyn Spann-Ford and redshirt junior Bryce Witham on the depth chart at his position.

Back in late February, a source confirmed freshman offensive lineman Jack York also intended to transfer. The 6-6, 300-pound Dallas native and three-star recruit entered the NCAA's transfer portal after redshirting all of 2018.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-tight-end-nathan-bursch-enters-the-transfer-portal/509110112/

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

Nathan Bursch, a tight end out of Woodbury High School, is no longer listed on the roster, a source confirmed. The St. Paul native was a three-star recruit, according to 247Sports.com, and committed back in June of 2016.

Bursch, at 6-5, 255 pounds, redshirted in 2017 and did not play last season. He participated in spring practices this year. The redshirt sophomore likely would have struggled for playing time again this upcoming season, as he was essentially behind redshirt junior Ko Kieft, redshirt sophomore Jake Paulson, redshirt freshman Brevyn Spann-Ford and redshirt junior Bryce Witham on the depth chart at his position.

Back in late February, a source confirmed freshman offensive lineman Jack York also intended to transfer. The 6-6, 300-pound Dallas native and three-star recruit entered the NCAA's transfer portal after redshirting all of 2018.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-tight-end-nathan-bursch-enters-the-transfer-portal/509110112/

Go Gophers!!

Not in the transfer portal yet. Hate to see a player make this decision but respect that he would like to be in a situation where he can get pt. Best of luck.

I think we have a young, talented bunch of TEs. Looking for playing time elsewhere is probably a good decision, although you hate to see a Minnesota kid leave the team. Hope he finds a good fit somewhere.

JTG

Bursch is in the transfer portal: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

London, Femi-Cole, Oseland, York, Estes and now Bursch are the scholarship players from last year that are transferring.

Thanks for the list!

I hope all of them get to a place where they can play, are happy, etc. Seems like kids are leaving on good terms. Being buried in the depth chart sucks, glad they are moving on and the Gophers can use those scholarships elsewhere.

We are actually lucky that these players have decided to move on - otherwise our numbers wouldn’t allow us to bring in all of the new recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are actually lucky that these players have decided to move on - otherwise our numbers wouldn’t allow us to bring in all of the new recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I read this as a sarcastic comment. Which does lead to a pertinent question - which came first - the players coming to MN, or the players leaving MN? You would think the Coaches would have to know how many spots were open - meaning that they would have to know how many kids were leaving. Nothing wrong with this - just wondering when the coaches knew who was leaving, and how this was communicated.

Also can't help wondering if the players leaving all reached those decisions on their own, or whether the staff gave them a little "help." again - NOT implying anything underhanded. this stuff goes on at every D1 program in the country. If a kid was not going to play meaningful snaps at MN, and the coaches laid it out and gave them options, that's great.

Just agreeing with Spoof (assuming that's his point) that this is not a coincidence.

Top Bottom